Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old 24-10-2023, 14:35   #721
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sadly they don’t always give you a rental option. In fact these days it seems the rental option appears on the major services (Apple, Prime) between 4-8 months post theatrical release, pretty much in the time frame you would once have gone to PPV on Sky or VM, and after that it vanishes and the title becomes purchase only.

I wanted to watch M3gan with my youngest, who is a big horror movie fan but wasn’t quite 15 when it came out in the cinema. It eventually appeared to rent and to buy but by the time we had a Sunday afternoon free to actually watch it together the rental option had gone. So I had to purchase. I have purchased only once or twice in the past and would only ever do so via Apple or Prime because content delivery is at the heart of their business models. I’d never rely on any service delivered by an ISP other than the actual bandwidth itself.
I've purchased loads of stuff on Sky and Amazon.

Admittedly, with Sky it was mainly purchasing the DVD and getting the digital copy too.

It comes in handy when going on holiday, as you can download the movies to you Ipads, essential on short haul flights when there's no inflight entertainment and also if the Wifi is too dodgy or slow to allow streaming.
Old 24-10-2023, 18:38   #722
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I am still in the record and watch when I feel like it school only stream if the recording has failed. Only watch " news" live , however that is a 24 HR service so guess it doesn't count
Old 24-10-2023, 18:41   #723
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l will purchase digital content from Amazon but not with any others..
Old 26-10-2023, 14:48   #724
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
One of the big benefits of streaming that I detected was the amount of content and the lack of advertising. Consequently, it appeared disingenuous to dilute that model in the way that commercial pay-tv channels do.

However, I was not considering a possible tiered approach, and I do think it makes sense to either have a cheaper or a free service with ads as options for those who cannot afford to pay (or will not pay on principle) for their TV content.
You only need to look at Netflix , Netflix Standard with ads is £4.99 they have withdrawn the standard one screen adfree option and the next option is ad free at £10.99 for two screens with the Premium going to £17.99 a month for ad free and 4 screens.

Basically Netflix is now saying we’ll gladly let you have an ad free experience but if so you’re going to pay a decent amount for that luxury.

Many of the analysts have said Netflix can easily start to make $10 on the ad tier add that to the money they are already charging for the subscription and you can already see why they are pushing prices for the other tiers higher.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 17:38   #725
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You only need to look at Netflix , Netflix Standard with ads is £4.99 they have withdrawn the standard one screen adfree option and the next option is ad free at £10.99 for two screens with the Premium going to £17.99 a month for ad free and 4 screens.

Basically Netflix is now saying we’ll gladly let you have an ad free experience but if so you’re going to pay a decent amount for that luxury.

Many of the analysts have said Netflix can easily start to make $10 on the ad tier add that to the money they are already charging for the subscription and you can already see why they are pushing prices for the other tiers higher.
All makes the BBC look incredibly good value.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 19:28   #726
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
how many new series do the BBC make every year? doubt it is many compared to Netflix or Prime for that matter. I imagine there are more none English language movies/TV shows dubbed in English on Netflix every months than BBC produce in a year
Old 27-10-2023, 19:00   #727
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think it depends on what you watch. The BBC output is only a small part of my own viewing experience, and my wife now watches it even less than me.

They have fewer dramas these days, their documentaries have been dumbed down, the comedies are banal and their news reporting is often biased.

It’s a shame, because we used to watch the BBC more than any other channel.
Old 27-10-2023, 19:56   #728
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think it depends on what you watch. The BBC output is only a small part of my own viewing experience, and my wife now watches it even less than me.

They have fewer dramas these days, their documentaries have been dumbed down, the comedies are banal and their news reporting is often biased.

It’s a shame, because we used to watch the BBC more than any other channel.
Quality not quantity OB. We're not all streaming 24/7

Fewer dramas, maybe true. But a Govt decision ( vendetta) to freeze the licence fee for years.

Biased news? Depends where you're starting from but they seem to get equal complaints from either side so probably about right. Is GB news unbiased in your opinion ?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 20:26   #729
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quality not quantity OB. We're not all streaming 24/7

Fewer dramas, maybe true. But a Govt decision ( vendetta) to freeze the licence fee for years.

Biased news? Depends where you're starting from but they seem to get equal complaints from either side so probably about right. Is GB news unbiased in your opinion ?
So, unbiased? The hospital in the Gaza strip was bombed by Isreal? Only due a report from Hamas without fact checking. Turns out the hospital wasn't bombed but an errant Hamas missile hit the car park. Yep defintely unbiased!

For the record: Although I agree that Isreal, just like any other country has the right to respond to attacks does not mean I agree with the Isreali methods. I also do not agree with Hamas using Palastinian people as human shields.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 20:36   #730
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So, unbiased? The hospital in the Gaza strip was bombed by Isreal? Only due a report from Hamas without fact checking. Turns out the hospital wasn't bombed but an errant Hamas missile hit the car park. Yep defintely unbiased!

For the record: Although I agree that Isreal, just like any other country has the right to respond to attacks does not mean I agree with the Isreali methods. I also do not agree with Hamas using Palastinian people as human shields.
It was reported that way by almost every news outlet going at the time. Channel 4 and the New York Times are still questioning what we are being told by “intelligence services”.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/24/w...mas-video.html

I think it’s a stretch to imply that bias was the cause of the original reporting - rather than it was the most credible explanation based on the facts available and eyewitness reports at that time.

And for the record: my sole point of this post isn’t who did it but the reasonableness of the initial reporting in a fast moving and difficult environment.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 22:44   #731
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It was reported that way by almost every news outlet going at the time. Channel 4 and the New York Times are still questioning what we are being told by “intelligence services”.

I think it’s a stretch to imply that bias was the cause of the original reporting - rather than it was the most credible explanation based on the facts available and eyewitness reports at that time.

And for the record: my sole point of this post isn’t who did it but the reasonableness of the initial reporting in a fast moving and difficult environment.
So its the intelligence services fault? They sould have known a Hamas missile would misfire and explode in a Hosplital car park?!
The most credible information based of facts would be the fact that a hospital had not been bombed but an explosion happened in the car park, instead the BBC followed all the other media and relyed on a press release from Hamas only.

The hospital wasn't bombed and there weren't 300 causalties that is a FACT!
Instead of doing due dilligence on reporting they juat ran with what Hamas said (as did many others). Do you not think that show a bias.

Made good clickbait though.

I also think Russia is behind this to divert attention away from Ukraine. It stinls of it!!!

Last edited by pip08456; 27-10-2023 at 22:48.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 23:06   #732
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So its the intelligence services fault? They sould have known a Hamas missile would misfire and explode in a Hosplital car park?!
The most credible information based of facts would be the fact that a hospital had not been bombed but an explosion happened in the car park, instead the BBC followed all the other media and relyed on a press release from Hamas only.

The hospital wasn't bombed and there weren't 300 causalties that is a FACT!
Instead of doing due dilligence on reporting they juat ran with what Hamas said (as did many others). Do you not think that show a bias.

Made good clickbait though.

I also think Russia is behind this to divert attention away from Ukraine. It stinls of it!!!
I’m unsure there are any facts to be had here but I’m certain it’s not the thread for it.

I’m unconvinced that the BBC deliberately misrepresented what they - and everyone else - were hearing on the ground, nor am I convinced by Israel and its allies saying they have proof and to trust them .
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 01:15   #733
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
It really doesnt.

Even the (almost only) programme on the BBC I watch is now joint funded by a streamer (Doctor Who).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 12:30   #734
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

The BBC thinks it’s better than the rest, but this incident proves that to be wrong. Even I was suspicious about that claim from the start. What were the BBC thinking?
Old 28-10-2023, 12:53   #735
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

On what do you base your assertion that "The BBC thinks it’s better than the rest"?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote