Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help wot do i need for 2 pc's?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help wot do i need for 2 pc's?

Old 29-04-2006, 14:18   #1
shazie
Inactive

shazie is an unknown quantity at this point
Help wot do i need for 2 pc's?

Hi im new to all this is there anyone who can help me out please.I have ntl as my broadband connection which is connected through the set top box.I have getting my son a pc and need to know what i need to connect both pc's together,or can i use the cable which is in set top box to put in other pc?Do i need anything in particular as i went to a pc shop and got told that having ntl is a nightmare and it would cost me a fortune and waste of time and money cos nothing works with ntl cos of connection going through set top box.Please if anyone can help me and tell me what i need to do and get also how much money this will cost me, i would be most grateful thank you.
shazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2006, 15:08   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Help wot do i need for 2 pc's?

to the forum . Just buy a wireless router and a wireless usb adapter connect modem to router wired to main pc and wirelessly to second pc (ensure you buy a router and not a modem router)
Old 29-04-2006, 15:10   #3
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazie
Hi im new to all this is there anyone who can help me out please.I have ntl as my broadband connection which is connected through the set top box.I have getting my son a pc and need to know what i need to connect both pc's together,or can i use the cable which is in set top box to put in other pc?Do i need anything in particular as i went to a pc shop and got told that having ntl is a nightmare and it would cost me a fortune and waste of time and money cos nothing works with ntl cos of connection going through set top box.Please if anyone can help me and tell me what i need to do and get also how much money this will cost me, i would be most grateful thank you.
The guy you spoke to sounds like he not long got fired from maccy d's for not knowing much.

Personally I can not help you a wireless solution, as I have mine wired. But let me assure you, I run 2 desktops, a laptop and an Xbox 360 with a normal wired router. Routers can be picked up pretty cheap and is the easiest way of sharing an NTL connection.
Old 29-04-2006, 18:05   #4
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

There is one thing you need to bear in mind for using a router on a set top box (as opposed to a cable modem), shazie.

That is that you will need to re-register the router rather than your PC when you first connect through it, or you'll need to clone the PC's MAC to the router to get round this (many routers come with software to do this for you). This is because, while cable modems don't care what device they are connected to, set top boxes look for for the MAC of the device they're connected to and, if it changes, route you to ntl's registration page to register it. No big problem as long as you've still got your registration details from when you first signed up.

Apart from that, wired routers are usually really easy; you just switch everything off, connect up the leads, switch on the set top box and let it settle, switch on the router and let it settle, then boot the PCs. Wireless routers sometimes need a bit of setting up, particularly for reliably secure operation, but can often also be connected as for wired, just by switching off, connecting everything, and switching on in the same order as for wired.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 18:09   #5
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

to answer your title, money!

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote