Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 25-09-2023, 19:17   #2371
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The energy crisis

In defence of the standing charge: there is a network of pipes, pumps, high voltage lines and substations that requires maintenance so it’s available for your use regardless of how much gas or electricity you actually consume. Your supplier has to pay a transmission charge to the local network operator for the privilege of having you as a customer attached to their network. It isn’t all about the actual quantity of gas or electricity you consume, although the suppliers have done more than their fair share towards muddying the waters here, with various tariffs that more or less decouple the actual transmission cost from their standing charge.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2023, 21:03   #2372
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Wouldn't it be better to put the unit cost up and the standing charge down to encourage less use
Most people would not use less, just end up paying more, so .. no thanks.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 14:00   #2373
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Disgraceful charges Standing charges Etc
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 15:54   #2374
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
In defence of the standing charge: there is a network of pipes, pumps, high voltage lines and substations that requires maintenance so it’s available for your use regardless of how much gas or electricity you actually consume. Your supplier has to pay a transmission charge to the local network operator for the privilege of having you as a customer attached to their network. It isn’t all about the actual quantity of gas or electricity you consume, although the suppliers have done more than their fair share towards muddying the waters here, with various tariffs that more or less decouple the actual transmission cost from their standing charge.
Your point is a fair one. I need to look into the accounts to see whether or not the income from standing charge is matched by fixed cost expenditure.

You could say that the standing charge is akin to National Insurance in the sense that it is a "tax" that goes into the company pot as distinct from hypothecation.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 16:15   #2375
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The infrastructure costs remain regardless of the fuel cost. If fuel prices plummeted the owners would still need to keep spending and material costs still could rise. Maybe a cap on the SC paid so the companies get enough and the customers don't get hit quite so hard.

I guess it comes down to knowing who owns what and where the money goes. And would people in some areas need to pay more SC if the infrastructure to supply them is "more expensive". (e.g. remote farm may have an almost exclusive "pipe" that could cost more than a house on a street with more shared infrastructure.)
Old 26-09-2023, 16:29   #2376
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
The infrastructure costs remain regardless of the fuel cost. If fuel prices plummeted the owners would still need to keep spending and material costs still could rise. Maybe a cap on the SC paid so the companies get enough and the customers don't get hit quite so hard.

I guess it comes down to knowing who owns what and where the money goes. And would people in some areas need to pay more SC if the infrastructure to supply them is "more expensive". (e.g. remote farm may have an almost exclusive "pipe" that could cost more than a house on a street with more shared infrastructure.)
Customers connected to certain distribution networks do indeed pay more. Even though suppliers muck about with the standing charge you’ll notice two customers on the same tariff with the same supplier in different parts of the country will pay different rates. SSE’s network in northern Scotland is the most expensive of the lot (hundreds of miles of exposed cable with very few customers to pay for it). SP Manweb’s Merseyside and North Wales network is likewise stretched thin in North Wales, although counter-intuitively it’s also relatively expensive in Liverpool because the original electricity distribution network there was somewhat over-designed. It’s practically bomb-proof but correspondingly pricey to maintain.

It’s the distribution network operator that levies these charges but the domestic suppliers pass them on.
Old 26-09-2023, 16:39   #2377
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Wouldn't it be better to put the unit cost up and the standing charge down to encourage less use

I have had contracts in the past that had no Standing Charge. But, and it's a big but, if you used less than a certain amount each month, they tagged-on a Connection Charge to the bill. Our neighbours went abroad for over 3 months, so no gas or leccy used, but they got slapped with bills.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 19:05   #2378
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I wonder how long this will last before they notice their system isnt working properly.
Still broken (well I assume its broken).

Despite having multiple meter readings from the day I joined, they still havent charged me a single penny for usage, just the daily SC.

At this rate I'm going to have a hell of a balance building up.

Old 17-10-2023, 23:43   #2379
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Got an email from OVO today confirming I'll get the £150 Warm Home Discount again this year.

Given they are still not charging me for any electricity at all, my balance sure is going to shoot up.

Old 20-10-2023, 13:56   #2380
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Still broken (well I assume its broken).

Despite having multiple meter readings from the day I joined, they still havent charged me a single penny for usage, just the daily SC.

At this rate I'm going to have a hell of a balance building up.
I hope you are putting money aside for that eventuality, Paul…🤔
Old 20-10-2023, 16:48   #2381
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Got an email from OVO today confirming I'll get the £150 Warm Home Discount again this year.

Given they are still not charging me for any electricity at all, my balance sure is going to shoot up.
Something similar happened with me when I was transferred to EON. No bills for year despite me chasing. When they did eventually sort it out ( blaming the previous supplier who"d gone bust), I put a complaint in hoping for a bit of a discount. They credited me the whole debit balance back (£270), which was a nice result.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 17:45   #2382
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It’s illegal for your energy supplier to chase you for debts older than 12 months, unless you’ve been actively avoiding paying them in which case the deadline is something like 7 years. In the case of them not billing you for over a year, technically they could try to work out exactly how much you used before and after the cut-off date but rather than risk being dragged through the courts if they get it wrong it’s probably just easier for them to write off the whole debt.
Old 20-10-2023, 20:53   #2383
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Well I'm not activily avoiding it, Im still paying my DD monthly, they are just not billing me for the usage, just the SC.

Old 20-10-2023, 20:56   #2384
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Well I'm not activily avoiding it, Im still paying my DD monthly, they are just not billing me for the usage, just the SC.
Well at this point cross your fingers and count the months down. If they eventually try to issue a bill more than 12 months in arrears, pounce …
Old 23-10-2023, 18:54   #2385
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...witch-off.html

7 million smart meters to be cut off by 2033. (well, could)
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote