Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rising cost of living

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Rising cost of living

Old 29-03-2023, 10:37   #766
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Rising cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Sounds like a sales pitch for government policy.

Rising interest rates by its nature is designed to increase poverty and unemployment, as it has long been believed a poorer population reduces inflation via lower demand for goods. A banker even admitted this not that long ago in an interview in America when pushed hard on it. But even without doing so it is obvious, raising interest rates causes financial misery.

So why is he blaming early retirement? With more people unemployed there is less spending power, which based on the basic principles of inflation will lower inflation, the only reason I can think off is the government asked him to back up their policy.

Early retirement isnt even the main reason for increased job vacancies, the primary cause is the zero asylum and cancellation of freedom of movement policies. Blaming the sick, and people who have retired is a distraction.
What he said was two contradictory things...

Quote:
Mr Bailey said that people taking early retirement are spending savings to maintain their lifestyle, maintaining demand in the economy, at the same time as dropping out of the workforce and reducing the supply of labour.

This combination of a shrinking workforce and higher spending by retirees in turn is driving up prices, forcing the Bank ot raise interest rates more swiftly.

He said: “The rise in economic inactivity is a change to the supply of labour, independent of demand, in particular by older workers.

“If those workers have accumulated enough savings to sustain a desired level of consumption much like the one they had before their early retirement, at least for a while, aggregate demand will not have fallen by as much as aggregate supply.
I'm not a big fan of anecdata, but since we retired, we are spending less (to live within our means), so eating out a lot less, and only dipping into our savings for fixes to the home (replacement side fence, five replacement double glazed panes, etc.). OK, we had four holidays abroad last year, but that was to make up for not having any for two years...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2023, 14:33   #767
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
That said, if I could afford to retire now, I would be offski. Work to live, not live to work…
Ditto, I wish I could afford to retire, but inflation has killed any chance of that for quite a while.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 22:01   #768
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ditto, I wish I could afford to retire, but inflation has killed any chance of that for quite a while.
[COLOR="blue”]
Nothing will make me retire other than through incapacity. Work keeps the brain going. Plus the dosh, of course.

One or two people on here make my point very well!
[/COLOR]

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 07:03   #769
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What he said was two contradictory things...

I'm not a big fan of anecdata, but since we retired, we are spending less (to live within our means), so eating out a lot less, and only dipping into our savings for fixes to the home (replacement side fence, five replacement double glazed panes, etc.). OK, we had four holidays abroad last year, but that was to make up for not having any for two years...
Thank you for highlighting the quoted bits that explained his reasoning, your own personal experience though is what I would expect from someone with a drop in income.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:17   #770
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="blue”]
Nothing will make me retire other than through incapacity. Work keeps the brain going. Plus the dosh, of course.

One or two people on here make my point very well!
[/COLOR]
Thats a bit harsh on your fellow Wokey CF’er…

tbf, it might be something in the water in RG12/RG40 that could be causing the seemingly prevalent cognitive impairment…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 13:26   #771
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

tbf, it might be something in the water in RG12/RG40 that could be causing the seemingly prevalent cognitive impairment…
No surprises here. It is Woke-ingham after all
Old 31-03-2023, 11:14   #772
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

On the other side of cost of living rises are the costs faced by producers. They too need to eat and in many cases prices have been artificially kept low by the big purchasers and fixing. Why should farmers, especially in areas like dairy, not be paid properly? I have family in the dairy industry and, for some, if it weren't that they love there stock they just wouldn't do it.
Old 31-03-2023, 12:36   #773
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I've gone back to make and mend just like my mother and father taught me.Which is why I got my old washer,dryer and stove fixed. Pity the fridge freezer didn't oblige.Amazing how long t-shirts can last as well if you take care with them.Same with old woollens.A bit of make and mend goes a long way.
Old 31-03-2023, 13:18   #774
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

No surprise that Hugh & Ian jumped onto this one.

Btw, who lives in RG12? Not me. But were you accusing me of some impairment?

Also, nice to see OB back in this section.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 13:18   #775
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm a full-time carer for my dad and I get a crap £480 a month, I was on Universal Credit where I was expected to search for a job, but I had told my joc coach about my dad being in hospital and when he is released I will be his carer.

He gave me the benifit of the doubt as I was honest with him form day one.

So when my dad got Attendance Allowance (This pays for the food) I was then able to get Carers Allowance, which comes out of UC, plus I get a roughly £150 top up.

But still crap money, when you bare in mind I paid £600 a month in tax.

So no my spur of the moment spends and therefore my Conway Stewart Churchill Fountain Pen is on hold as I cannot justify the £850 cost.
Old 23-02-2024, 19:16   #776
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Cheap kebab. Just over £2 a kilo

https://www.parmainternational.co.uk...-10kg-meahbd10

Under £2 per kilo

https://www.parmainternational.co.uk...40lb-meadoub40

I am wondering what type of meat it is, with such price? What animal?

"Parma", prestigious name .....
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 21:53   #777
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Maybe the butcher had given the floor a good sweeping and got creative with a secret mix of herbs and spices.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote