Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 18-02-2024, 16:21   #5941
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The article you quoted was pertinent to the US scene and not to Brexit nor anything like it.

Your fundamental position seems to be that older people should have sacrificed their view to that of the young people. That is not what life (and democracy) is about. The younger people haven't given a thought to Brussels making our over-arching laws. And before you bleat about the older people not being wise enough to foresee the current situation, I point out that they certainly understand the long game.

... and guess who the money that the older people have paid in will pay for? What happened to that money? You are disgusting.

As I said, it was implicit in your statement that the older people were doing something wrong by exercising their democratic right in the Referendum.

You are too bitter to see things in the right proportions.

It would be polite to not call people "disgusting" just because they hold a contrary position to yours. You need to calm down and possibly apologise?
Old 18-02-2024, 16:24   #5942
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Since when did paying taxes and NI entitle you to a pension ? A persons contributions don’t pay for their pension they pay for the pensions of those entitled to a pension at the time the contribution is made.
We could argue all week about the mechanics of the pension contribution regime.

It is the spite deployed by Ian that matters most to me in the Forum context.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 16:27   #5943
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Since when did paying taxes and NI entitle you to a pension ? A persons contributions don’t pay for their pension they pay for the pensions of those entitled to a pension at the time the contribution is made.
I don't think he understands this at all. Pension payments and the care system is funded out of current taxation, there is no magic pot of money paid into by those in their pre-pension years.

The irony here is that a considerable number of the generation I am citing have defined benefit or final salary pensions and, as a result, are in far better financial position than the generations that followed.
Old 18-02-2024, 16:34   #5944
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
We could argue all week about the mechanics of the pension contribution regime.

It is the spite deployed by Ian that matters most to me in the Forum context.
We could, but it would be pointless as I’m right.

I think Ian has a point to a degree a percentage of those who have lived a significant period of their lives have made a decision that will significantly those who have many many more years to live.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-votes-by-age/
Old 18-02-2024, 16:34   #5945
ianch99
cf.mega poster

I am surprised by the number of snowflakes (I think that is the correct term to use on this forum) that are offending by contrary opinions. It is the sort of thing forums do or am I missing something?
Old 18-02-2024, 16:35   #5946
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I don't think he understands this at all. Pension payments and the care system is funded out of current taxation, there is no magic pot of money paid into by those in their pre-pension years.

The irony here is that a considerable number of the generation I am citing have defined benefit or final salary pensions and, as a result, are in far better financial position than the generations that followed.
Not forgetting either

A. Being able to afford to buy a house
B. Being in a place where good quality affordable social housing was available
Old 18-02-2024, 16:37   #5947
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
We could, but it would be pointless as I’m right.

I think Ian has a point to a degree a percentage of those who have lived a significant period of their lives have made a decision that will significantly those who have many many more years to live.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-votes-by-age/
Yes but I am being more specific than this: I am saying that the majority of the older generations deliberately voted to disenfranchise their children/grandchildren knowing that this would be counter to their wishes and interests.
Old 18-02-2024, 17:23   #5948
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Yes but I am being more specific than this: I am saying that the majority of the older generations deliberately voted to disenfranchise their children/grandchildren knowing that this would be counter to their wishes and interests.
I dont think I agree with that, I think it was more that there was zero consideration whatsoever to the younger generations which on balance I think is worse.
Old 18-02-2024, 18:08   #5949
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I dont think I agree with that, I think it was more that there was zero consideration whatsoever to the younger generations which on balance I think is worse.
You have a point. Maybe a mixture of ignorance and self-obsession.
Old 18-02-2024, 19:17   #5950
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I think what we've learned here is it's OK to have a strong opinion about something (anything) as long as it typed in blue.
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 19:40   #5951
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I think what we've learned here is it's OK to have a strong opinion about something (anything) as long as it typed in blue.
You spelt delusional wrong
Old 18-02-2024, 20:20   #5952
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That's wildly ridiculous. Are you seriously suggesting that Mr or Mrs Old Person thought to themselves: "I'm going to vote Leave to deliberately disenfranchise my children/grandchildren"? Seriously?

Btw, the younger generation are not strong on politics and history and did not know how Germany rigged the Euro and how France rigged the farming regulations.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Quote:
You have a point. Maybe a mixture of ignorance and self-obsession.
Ignorance? It is the younger generation that is ignorant.
It seems now also, certain Remainers.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 18-02-2024 at 20:52. Reason: typo
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 20:45   #5953
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes but I am being more specific than this: I am saying that the majority of the older generations deliberately voted to disenfranchise their children/grandchildren
What a load of tripe.

I’ve worked, and am working, to do the exact opposite, i’m working to give my kids a better start than i had.

As do all parents.

If you think the way you do, I can only assume you have no children.
Old 18-02-2024, 21:10   #5954
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I suspect a kinder interpretation would be that they could not know precisely what they were voting for as there was no deal to vote on, just a concept.

Or that the grifters informed them there would no downsides, only upsides.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
If you think the way you do, I can only assume you have no children.
Ummh, this particular side-debate arose due to Ian's son's career being impeded by Brexit.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 18-02-2024 at 21:08.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 21:24   #5955
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Ummh, this particular side-debate arose due to Ian's son's career being impeded by Brexit.
I remember it being Jonbxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
10 years to realise the benefits of Brexit is a bit late for my 18 year kid who wanted to get a summer job in Spain to reinforce her Spanish A-level she will have finished by then. It seems virtually impossible to get hotel animation jobs without an EU passport unfortunately.

It’s a shame as she was really enthusiastic about doing this before university and it would have been a great experience but there you go. She can enjoy some sovereignty instead
But no matter, Ian is obviously part of the problem then, screwing his kids future, by funding his life so far……..