Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 25-07-2022, 09:13   #4381
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I travel to Europe a lot, several times a year, and there is not once I did not have my passport checked. Occasionally the French one on the U.K side just waved you though but we've always had passport checks.

The French one now just adds a stamp when checking. The U.K process is the same for U.K citizens, the electronic reader, and it's only the stupid checks we do on why EU citizens are arriving in the country that has been added.

So yes there are slightly more checks and as I said these are checks we could mutually agree to skip. The French allow U.K citizens in without the stamp and we stop the twenty questions everytime we see an EU passport.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

No it is slower to get though at Dover now, just not as bad as this weekend has made out.
This thread is getting totally surreal. You think that the man who literally runs the Port of Dover is wrong and you think the EU should just waive through 3rd country visitors. Jeez ..

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Andrew you shouldn't get into that lying game. We voted for sovereignty and an M20 queue, while not welcome, is no basis for decrying Brexit.
Andrew is not lying. We were promised no downside and many people voted Leave on the back on this.

Quote:
We voted for sovereignty and an M20 queue
You've been too long in the sun!
Old 25-07-2022, 09:25   #4382
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Increasing any kind of workload at borders was only going to cause problems. Brexiters like Pierre accept this as a price worth paying.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, it was common sense that there would be teething problems. Only an idiot would think that we would seamlessly migrate from one system to another like switching a light on.

The whole thing has been made worse by France. As others have pointed oit, it was their failure to gst enough staff in to man the booths on time that caused this chaos. It was the French who caused those problems with the fishermen at the Channel Islands. It is the French and some other EU countries that are causing problems on the NI border through unnecessary bureaucracy.

These problems will get sorted out. We will rid ourselves of EU laws that are holding us back. We will negotiate trade deals that provide better benefits for this country. But these things take a little time. Brexiteers always knew that. Nothing to apologise for.
The unnecessary bureaucracy in NI was what your hero Boris Johnson negotiated.

Remain-voting NI is flourishing unlike the rest of the UK outside London so maybe he will count it as a success in his 2023 leadership campaign?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 09:36   #4383
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Increasing any kind of workload at borders was only going to cause problems. Brexiters like Pierre accept this as a price worth paying.
Pierre voted Remain, I think I recall.

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Yep, posted only yesterday…

Just goes to show Andrew, you do not read stuff properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
As someone who voted to remain, <snip>

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
Goes to show how pathetic the EU is, doesn’t it, using disabled people as pawns, to get awkward by refusing these badges, thank goodness we have left these cretinous fools.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 09:41   #4384
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Are you really being this obtuse?

I told you posts ago that Tourists visiting France are paying in to the coffers of France, they should provide relevant services. They are to blame for this bullshit political grandstanding by understaffed border controls.
These rules now apply at any entry point into the EU we could also be asked to provide proof of funds, proof of accommodation and proof of return ticket.

Whilst we were not part of Schengen we did have favourable terms those terms no longer apply and the delay on required checks has now passed and they’re being imposed.

Those that argue that we should be eligible for the same treatment because we used to be in the EU I are simplistically arguing that if you cancel you’re Netflix subscription you still be allowed to watch it because you used to be a member

We’re not in the EU therefore we are treat exactly the same as any other non EU country

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

Yep, posted only yesterday…

Just goes to show Andrew, you do not read stuff properly.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Goes to show how pathetic the EU is, doesn’t it, using disabled people as pawns, to get awkward by refusing these badges, thank goodness we have left these cretinous fools.

How can it be the EU’s fault when some member states have approved their use ??
Old 25-07-2022, 09:52   #4385
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
These rules now apply at any entry point into the EU we could also be asked to provide proof of funds, proof of accommodation and proof of return ticket.

Whilst we were not part of Schengen we did have favourable terms those terms no longer apply and the delay on required checks has now passed and they’re being imposed.

Those that argue that we should be eligible for the same treatment because we used to be in the EU I are simplistically arguing that if you cancel you’re Netflix subscription you still be allowed to watch it because you used to be a member

We’re not in the EU therefore we are treat exactly the same as any other non EU country

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

How can it be the EU’s fault when some member states have approved their use ??
As already been stated by others, proof of funds checks have not occurred.

As for your last point. Easy, they’re playing political games, because a former member dared to leave their corrupted power hungry empire.
Old 25-07-2022, 10:03   #4386
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Just shows what pigs they are.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 10:04   #4387
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
As already been stated by others, proof of funds checks have not occurred.

As for your last point. Easy, they’re playing political games, because a former member dared to leave their corrupted power hungry empire.
I didn’t say they had occurred i said they may now be required

If it’s the EU playing political games then why are all member states not in the same position ?

Some member states have approved their use
Some member states are undecided on if they will approve them

I’m not aware of any member states actively refusing them yet ?
Old 25-07-2022, 10:23   #4388
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Like the next PM Liz Truss, I believe he's changed his mind since the Referendum.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Quote:
Not a good look for these countries. Something we need to tidy up now through negotiation.
Old 25-07-2022, 10:34   #4389
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I didn’t say they had occurred i said they may now be required

If it’s the EU playing political games then why are all member states not in the same position ?

Some member states have approved their use
Some member states are undecided on if they will approve them

I’m not aware of any member states actively refusing them yet ?
The mere matter of "considering" is an affront to the disabled and to decency.

That said, it is something that our incompetent government should have wrapped up in the Withdrawal Agreement or Trade Agreement.

Old 25-07-2022, 10:46   #4390
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

That said, it is something that our incompetent government should have wrapped up in the Withdrawal Agreement or Trade Agreement.
Agreed.

Realistically, we need to have good relations with the EU member states to correct things like this. Tearing up the NI protocol when there exists Article 16 to invoke instead as part of the protocol will not help our caues.
Old 25-07-2022, 11:09   #4391
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Agreed.

Realistically, we need to have good relations with the EU member states to correct things like this. Tearing up the NI protocol when there exists Article 16 to invoke instead as part of the protocol will not help our caues.
Sort of agreed. We do have good relations with the EU member states. But at least two stand apart, particularly France and Ireland, who drive the rest into nodding heads.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 25-07-2022 at 11:09. Reason: typo
Old 25-07-2022, 11:27   #4392
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Like the next PM Liz Truss, I believe he's changed his mind since the Referendum.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Not a good look for these countries. Something we need to tidy up now through negotiation.
I think folk like you have drove him to change his mind and the hardened anti-Brexit conspiracy nut jobs, of the Alistair Campbell kind, totally unaccepting of the 2016 referendum result.
Old 25-07-2022, 12:22   #4393
mrmistoffelees

Quote:

I’m not sure how this could be contained in the withdrawal agreement as negotiations such as this are performed at the level of the individual member state. These Negotiations are currently ongoing with the individual member states

But, there has been Covid & the war in Ukraine to contend with,so……
Old 25-07-2022, 12:48   #4394
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I have made my position on here very clear many times, but once again:

I voted Remain. Mainly because I knew the extrication process would be a circus and six years on........here we are.

After the referendum result. I accepted and was happy to look forward to moving on, as constantly moaning, whinging, gloating etc is bad for the country, if we're going to go forward we have to go together and I find the joy that some people get for every hiccup and mistake we make whilst we're trying to move on quite disgusting.

My position now. Six years of watching the EU behave as they have done has made me believe that in our future we are better off without their management.
Old 25-07-2022, 13:04   #4395
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I have made my position on here very clear many times, but once again:

I voted Remain. Mainly because I knew the extrication process would be a circus and six years on........here we are.

After the referendum result. I accepted and was happy to look forward to moving on, as constantly moaning, whinging, gloating etc is bad for the country, if we're going to go forward we have to go together and I find the joy that some people get for every hiccup and mistake we make whilst we're trying to move on quite disgusting.

My position now. Six years of watching the EU behave as they have done has made me believe that in our future we are better off without their management.
For balance, there's been dubious behaviour by both sides, to the bolded part I sincerely hope you're right.