Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router problem (DHCP)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router problem (DHCP)

Old 15-08-2007, 23:14   #1
garu
Inactive

garu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Router problem (DHCP)

On my laptop, I can no longer access the internet through both wired and wireless connections. I get an IP address that starts with 169.254.....

I have pinged the 127....thing and it worked, and also I connected my modem directly to my ethernet card and it could connect, so my NIC is working.

Through the router however, I cannot receive any packets, even though it says that its connected. When I did ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, it said that it could not contact my DHCP server. The computer that I am using to type this now is connected to the same router and has the same settings for tcp/ip, and the LAN settings.

I have already tried system restore, and formatting my disk and I'm starting to lose my patience. Please somebody try to assist me.

Also, I can no longer log into my router because it asks for a password and username, none of which I have.
garu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2007, 08:13   #2
K Man
Inactive

Services: V+ VIP & Vmobile - in for a penny.......and all that
K Man has a spectacular aura about themK Man has a spectacular aura about themK Man has a spectacular aura about themK Man has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Router problem (DHCP)

You're obviously using a PC and I know that these are completely different to Macs, but this is what I'd do on a Mac given what you have said.

• Uninstall/trash everything to do with the router - preferences and all.
  • Restart
  • Try to connect with the etherenet cable to establish that the machine can indeed connect.
  • Now re-install the router's software and go through the set up wizard
  • This IP address for the router can usually be found on the bottom of the unit
  • Set your new WEP password and name the network
  • Restart all devices in line - the cable modem, the router and the laptop - this is important!!
  • Theoretically the laptop should now connect!!
K Man is offline   Reply With Quote