Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 20mb & Routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

20mb & Routers

Old 03-08-2007, 23:35   #1
Gazza90000
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV/BB/Tele
Gazza90000 is an unknown quantity at this point
20mb & Routers

Dear All ,
I currently have the NETGEAR WGR614 which is obivisouly connected to my Cable Modem. I only have my laptop and my daughters laptop accessing the router via wireless

I have read that I may not be getting the 20mb speeds because the router can't handle it. I am currently getting speeds done on the speed test of.
Test 1: 1024K took 1744 ms = 587.2 KB/sec, approx 4839 Kbps, 4.73 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 1328 ms = 771.1 KB/sec, approx 6354 Kbps, 6.21 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 1232 ms = 831.2 KB/sec, approx 6849 Kbps, 6.69 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 2781 ms = 736.4 KB/sec, approx 6068 Kbps, 5.93 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 6028 Kbps, 5.89 Mbps

I am willing too pay the £90 for Netgear WNR 854T Router..... Do you have any advice ? Do I need to upgrade the router.....
Gazza90000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2007, 23:56   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 20mb & Routers

An indication of whether the router is the problem, or it's just the general cable network service is what happens if you ditch the router and just use the one PC. Monitor over a period of a few hours, rather than rely on just the one speedtest.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 23:56   #3
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

Connect one PC directly to the Modem in order to get a comparison. Try a few different speed tests and include a multi thread download of one of the major Linux distros.

If the speeds are the same with router as without you will know where the issue is.

[edit] Rob beat me to it!
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 23:58   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Also what sort of wireless is in the laptops. If it's only 'b' then no matter what router you get that's the rate you'll get.

Try using wires to the router.
Old 04-08-2007, 00:04   #5
Gazza90000
Inactive

Its a Sony laptop vgn fz11m it's says on the label 802.11a/b/g

I will try the leads...Any speed tests sites that are good ?
Old 04-08-2007, 00:31   #6
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Best to go to a virginmedia mirror and download something sizeable. I get 2300kB/sec from gentoo.virginmedia.com.

This sort of download will exclude oddities in peering and remote sites on different timezones and concentrate on the pipe to your house. If this is OK then go further afield to other well mirrored sites, eg mirrorservice.co.uk. This will probably be slightly slower.

Avoid most speedtest sites, I find them far too variable to be any good.
Old 04-08-2007, 16:51   #7
Gazza90000
Inactive

Sat, 4 Aug 2007 15:46:01 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 486 ms = 2107 KB/sec, approx 17362 Kbps, 16.96 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 474 ms = 2160.3 KB/sec, approx 17801 Kbps, 17.38 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 518 ms = 1976.8 KB/sec, approx 16289 Kbps, 15.91 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1287 ms = 1591.3 KB/sec, approx 13112 Kbps, 12.8 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 16141 Kbps, 15.76 Mbps

Did the thing you recommeded about the ethernet cable direct from the Motorola SB5100 and the above was achieved.

Just got rid of my old computer which ran xp . I now have a laptop which runs vista. The Blue Younder disc which I believe has all the drivers on and puts your internet settings straight in won't run.....
I have ordered a new disc online......

I have bought the Net gear Range max WNR8348 and trying to set it up has got me beat because its looking for my internet settings from vista.....

I can only get so far because the new router is not picking up any internet settings....Any ideas....
Old 04-08-2007, 17:49   #8
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza90000 View Post
Sat, 4 Aug 2007 15:46:01 UTC

Test 1: 1024K took 486 ms = 2107 KB/sec, approx 17362 Kbps, 16.96 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 474 ms = 2160.3 KB/sec, approx 17801 Kbps, 17.38 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 518 ms = 1976.8 KB/sec, approx 16289 Kbps, 15.91 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 1287 ms = 1591.3 KB/sec, approx 13112 Kbps, 12.8 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 16141 Kbps, 15.76 Mbps

Did the thing you recommeded about the ethernet cable direct from the Motorola SB5100 and the above was achieved.

Just got rid of my old computer which ran xp . I now have a laptop which runs vista. The Blue Younder disc which I believe has all the drivers on and puts your internet settings straight in won't run.....
I have ordered a new disc online......

I have bought the Net gear Range max WNR8348 and trying to set it up has got me beat because its looking for my internet settings from vista.....

I can only get so far because the new router is not picking up any internet settings....Any ideas....
connect the PC to the router via a network cable, power on the router open internet explorer and browse to either one of the following http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1

make sure in the advanced settings of the router that enable ICMP response or something similar it ticked
Old 05-08-2007, 16:55   #9
Gazza90000
Inactive

Dear All
Thanks for the advice. Not sure how I eventually did it but its done. It was something to do with the router settings asking if I needed a user name and password to acess the internet... I ticked no... Dunno why this should happen but its working fine.
20mb speeds !!!! It ranges from 17 to 3 on speed tests....
Not sure I should have paid out for such an expensive router though.....but I has never dropped a signal. My daughters speed seems to have increase greatly though...
So is a happy bunny and I can hear dloaded limewire tunes blasting from her bedroom.
Once again thanks too all.