Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hidden ssid

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hidden ssid

Old 05-07-2021, 13:29   #1
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough
Hidden ssid

I have disabled all WiFi.

No guest WiFi

Opted out of Virgin Media "Hotspot"

But.... it is still showing this Hidden SSID?

Using S.H.3
WiFi Analyzer app.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vm router-hidden ssid.jpg (282.7 KB, 64 views)
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2021, 13:34   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Hidden ssid

does not mean it is you or maybe it is a smart device
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 13:37   #3
Brunel

Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

Def. me... it goes immediately I turn SH3 off, and returns on re boot.

No other Wi-Fi equipment in use..
Old 07-07-2021, 11:06   #4
Brunel

Is it possible, that the "Hidden SSID" is connected to the WiFi POD trial.

I found the POD just about ok, it was very hit & miss.

All packed away now.

Has the SH 3 "secretly" been updated, to produce this Hidden connection?
Old 07-07-2021, 12:36   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
Is it possible, that the "Hidden SSID" is connected to the WiFi POD trial.

I found the POD just about ok, it was very hit & miss.

All packed away now.

Has the SH 3 "secretly" been updated, to produce this Hidden connection?
It could be because Intelligent Wifi Plus Service is an add on.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 14:25   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

There are no Hidden SSIDs with the WiFi Pods. They inherit the same SSID as broadcast by the Hub3 or Hub4.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 14:51   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Have you got a V6? That has a wifi capability and might be active even if you have it connected via wired ethernet.
Old 07-07-2021, 21:22   #8
Brunel

Have you got a V6? No.
Old 08-07-2021, 00:27   #9
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I see the HIDDEN SSID option on mine but I havent ever used it,wont that make it so even MY COMPUTERR wont be able to connect?? (Im not sure how that works)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 11:30   #10
Brunel

As a possible conclusion to this. I enabled 5GHz wireless on SH3 for 24 Hrs.

I then disabled the wireless.

I now find that there is no trace of the "Hidden SSID"

Will check at regular intervals.
Old 15-07-2021, 20:05   #11
Brunel

Have just Rx'd this.
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot-em.virginmedia.com-2021.07.15-20_04_06.png (23.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 16-07-2021, 08:27   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

pluck that. So VM want to change wifi settings without telling anyone what they are changing. How many calls to tech support do you think it is going to generate when things which were working fine before start experiencing problems?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 09:37   #13
Brunel

Your gadgets connect to your home WiFi using two networks, depending on how far away you are from a Hub or Booster. Your home WiFi seems to have been split across two networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz) which might be down to old issues that’ve since been fixed.

Get more from your home WiFi
To stop your home WiFi being held back, we’d like to merge your two split networks into one Intelligent WiFi network. This’ll allow our latest Intelligent WiFi technology to switch your devices between the two WiFi networks while you move around the house – so you can enjoy better WiFi signal.

Intelligent WiFi also spots when your devices are running into a traffic jam and automatically switches them to a better network.

Don’t worry – if any of your devices only support the 2.4GHz network (perhaps because they’re older), Intelligent WiFi will pick that up and stop the device from switching between the two networks, helping it to perform at its best.

Giving you an even better connection, when you need it
The 2.4GHz network typically has the longest range. Like a marathon runner, it covers longer distances, slower. The 5GHz network covers short distances, faster – like a sprinter. This makes it best for gadgets nearer your Hub or Booster. Our Intelligent WiFi helps to make sure your gadgets connect to the best network.

To update your settings, there’s nothing you need to do – we’ll do it for you on 26th July. And if you don’t like how your WiFi’s performing after we’ve merged your networks, you can split them out again at any time by following these simple steps.

Don’t want to have your networks merged into one Intelligent WiFi network? Just let us know if you want to opt out by 26th July.
Old 16-07-2021, 10:15   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

And if you had a proper router it would be doing that already
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 08:42   #15
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel
As a possible conclusion to this. I enabled 5GHz wireless on SH3 for 24 Hrs.

I then disabled the wireless.

I now find that there is no trace of the "Hidden SSID"

Will check at regular intervals.
Ahhh I suppose that would work but I reckon its a pain to have to do it even time.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote