Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2021, 20:56   #6061
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I hope we get to 45,000 cases per day, or higher by next week with any luck and deaths & hospitalisation remain static, as they are now.

Then, there will be no doubt that there is no longer a link between cases and serious illness. And we can stop worrying about case numbers and get on with normality with no need for masks or distancing.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Fanciful, but we’ve been here before.
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2021, 20:57   #6062
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Here’s hoping that Long COVID isn’t serious for a reasonable percentage, for all those people hoping for more infections…

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/20...field-and-hull
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:06   #6063
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Here’s hoping that Long COVID isn’t serious for a reasonable percentage, for all those people hoping for more infections…

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/20...field-and-hull
If the figures get that high, or higher, it’ll be interesting to see who hides behind their couch working from home, or retired, while telling everyone else to go out there and be brave for the economy.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:31   #6064
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Fanciful, but we’ve been here before.
No we haven’t. Back in the day, hospitalisations were rising exponentially, two weeks behind the infection rates.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:36   #6065
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No we haven’t. Back in the day, hospitalisations were rising exponentially, two weeks behind the infection rates.
And hospitalisations are rising in line with cases. Just starting at a lower level.

A smaller proportion of a much larger number is still problematic from an NHS perspective if you are into 300,000 a week getting infected.

Let alone the economic impact of them all self isolating, along with their close contacts, and the problems for employers given their health and safety responsibilities to their staff against that kind of backdrop. The work from home brigade will still be on Teams in that scenario.

Last edited by jfman; 28-06-2021 at 21:39.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:39   #6066
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Bollocks Old Boy. I support all the schemes the Government have put in place through the crisis. I’m more than happy to pay more tax to fund them - are you???

If you think folk on zero hours contracts in nightclubs and lap dancers are propping up the Tories in the polls because of the furlough scheme that’s an interesting take.

I can’t understand why, despite being consistently wrong throughout the pandemic, you continue to push this economy over public health agenda.
There are plenty of employers who are struggling, including pubs and restaurants, who either do not qualify for support or who are still losing money. The way you just brush all this under the table as if this was not a serious concern is astounding.

I have not been ‘consistently wrong’ but you have consistently tried to twist everything to suit your sense of superiority. In that, you have certainly excelled - congrats for that.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:41   #6067
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
There are plenty of employers who are struggling, including pubs and restaurants, who either do not qualify for support or who are still losing money. The way you just brush all this under the table as if this was not a serious concern is astounding.

I have not been ‘consistently wrong’ but you have consistently tried to twist everything to suit your sense of superiority. In that, you have certainly excelled - congrats for that.
Can you link me to a post you were right?
Old 28-06-2021, 21:47   #6068
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

And you will be on your knees praying they fail no doubt.

Indeed. It’s almost as if it’s a good idea to vaccinate more people.

Nevertheless the evidence won’t support no restrictions from July 19, and if anything as other countries close their borders to UK citizens it’ll have a greater economic impact for us to not manage case numbers.
Another puerile comment instead of entering into a discussion.

Of course it is appropriate to vaccinate. You seem to suggest that someone has indicated the opposite.

I am pretty confident that restrictions will be ended from 19 July and the new Health Secretary has confirmed that today. We will still have restrictions on overseas travel and the track and trace will still be in place, but all the mask wearing and social distancing nonsense will be at an end, allowing businesses to operate normally.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:
Can you link me to a post you were right?
You have twisted my comments to suit yourself and used new information available at a later date which we did not know when comments were originally made, one example being the Kent variant, which was far more infectious and took everyone by surprise.

It’s so easy being Mr Hindsight.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:49   #6069
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Of course it is appropriate to vaccinate. You seem to suggest that someone has indicated the opposite.

I am pretty confident that restrictions will be ended from 19 July and the new Health Secretary has confirmed that today. We will still have restrictions on overseas travel and the track and trace will still be in place, but all the mask wearing and social distancing nonsense will be at an end, allowing businesses to operate normally.
As I’ve said before your optimism has failed you to date and there is no evidence that it will go the other way this time.

It’s not puerile to point out that for some of the “we could do no better” brigade the positive outcomes New Zealand and Australia have seen in both health and economic terms are a challenge. So for one, or both, to fail would be vindication for an argument that has been wrong to date.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Quote:
You have twisted my comments to suit yourself and used new information available at a later date which we did not know when comments were originally made, one example being the Kent variant, which was far more infectious and took everyone by surprise.

It is easy being Mr Hingsight but I’m sure you’ll find my projections about inevitability of lockdowns, school closures, etc predate these events being Government policy.
Old 28-06-2021, 21:51   #6070
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
As I’ve said before your optimism has failed you to date and there is no evidence that it will go the other way this time.

It’s not puerile to point out that for some of the “we could do no better” brigade the positive outcomes New Zealand and Australia have seen in both health and economic terms are a challenge. So for one, or both, to fail would be vindication for an argument that has been wrong to date.
Australia and NZ are in a rather different position to us, but frankly, they cannot assume they are out of the wood. Most of their populations are exposed to the full force of the pandemic and not to take early advantage of a vaccine that could avoid major problems in the future is negligent.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 28-06-2021 at 21:54.
Old 28-06-2021, 22:09   #6071
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Australia and NZ are in a rather different position to us, but frankly, they cannot assume they are out of the wood. Most of their populations are exposed to the full force of the pandemic and not to take early advantage of a vaccine that could avoid major problems in the future is negligent.
Much as I said earlier: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=6049

My advice is at your risk.
Old 28-06-2021, 22:13   #6072
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
There are not unlimited vaccines OB - someone has to lose out. Indeed, if they went all in on AstraZeneca they’d have to booster their way past Delta anyway.

If we use the JCVI logic of not vaccinating our own children then vaccinating countries that are broadly open with very few cases is poor utilisation of a vaccine in limited supply.

However it’s the one straw you can clutch to in order to criticise a country that has delivered a textbook, and dare I say not reliant on British exceptionalism, response to a SARS outbreak, kept huge swathes of their economy open and delivered an excellent public health response.

Last edited by jfman; 28-06-2021 at 22:18.
Old 28-06-2021, 22:31   #6073
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes, he says it was ‘really quite unpleasant’ and in another breath he says it was ‘like a summer cold’.

Surely, both statements cannot be right.
Yes they can.

"By Tuesday, I felt I was coming down with a summer cold - sneezing, sore throat, slight headache."
"Two days after my first symptoms, I began to feel seriously ill. I had a high temperature, muscle ache, the shakes, a bad headache and flu-like cold symptoms. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550
Old 28-06-2021, 23:19   #6074
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ases-1.4603402
Quote:
Israel told its citizens on Friday they must again wear masks indoors, 10 days after being allowed to ditch them, amid a sustained surge in coronavirus infections attributed to the highly contagious Delta variant.

The mask requirement had been one of only a few social curbs remaining as Israel’s rapid vaccination drive kept cases down.

But infections more than quadrupled this week to 138 after outbreaks attributed to the Delta variant at two schools, prompting officials to tighten some restrictions again and urge parents to have children between 12 and 15 vaccinated.

The health ministry reimposed the mask requirement for all indoor settings except the home, and said it was also recommending masks be worn at large outdoor gatherings
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 28-06-2021, 23:36   #6075
jfman
Architect of Ideas

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ils-in-england

Meanwhile our Great Barrington government peddle this nonsense.

If we end up in a winter lockdown make no mistake it was 100% avoidable.
Closed Thread