Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes on the High Street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Changes on the High Street

Old 09-07-2021, 10:46   #766
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Changes on the High Street

Have you seen the crap John Lewis sale? "More of what you want" is the slogan; More of what you don't want is the reality.

On the Perspectives panel, they're assessing what people think about new slogans (to replace "Never knowingly undersold", which is the only one that matters. John Lewis is going all socially aware with their slogans.

The hypocrisy in this is sickening. They're only interested in profit - something I can at least respect. But you mustn't do that with a whole load of social guff that has nothing to do with the TV size or laptop reliability etc.
Look at this guff from https://www.johnlewispartnership.co....al-impact.html

Quote:
Our Founder established the Partnership to be a force for good in society. We are driven to make a difference to people’s lives and create positive social change. We strive for beneficial impact, using the skills and resources within the Partnership to support where help is needed.
It's one thing using some of the income from our pockets to spread some dosh to local charities (later in the quoted article), it's another to pretend that they are selling us stuff for social reasons.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2021, 11:02   #767
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Whats your problem? Big company donates food and money to local charities?

That's a good thing.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:13   #768
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Whats your problem? Big company donates food and money to local charities?

That's a good thing.
Yes, I implied that in my post.

It's the hypocritical pushing of their so-called social values when it is purely in the interests of pulling profit to which I object.

"Never knowingly undersold" is the only motto they need.

I've no objection to profit, nor contribution to their local communities.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 18:40   #769
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Yes, I implied that in my post.

It's the hypocritical pushing of their so-called social values when it is purely in the interests of pulling profit to which I object.

"Never knowingly undersold" is the only motto they need.

I've no objection to profit, nor contribution to their local communities.

They can't use that slogan as they can't beat internet sellers.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 19:54   #770
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
They can't use that slogan as they can't beat internet sellers.
Yes they can.

Quote:
If you do find the same product for sale at a lower price at a UK mainland high street competitor, either in store or online, and sold with the same service conditions, you can make a price match request. It’s really easy – just let us know in one of the following ways:
https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-s...ngly-undersold
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:33   #771
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Here's why they're ditching the slogan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53881214
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 14:38   #772
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Have you seen the crap John Lewis sale? "More of what you want" is the slogan; More of what you don't want is the reality.

On the Perspectives panel, they're assessing what people think about new slogans (to replace "Never knowingly undersold", which is the only one that matters. John Lewis is going all socially aware with their slogans.

The hypocrisy in this is sickening. They're only interested in profit - something I can at least respect. But you mustn't do that with a whole load of social guff that has nothing to do with the TV size or laptop reliability etc.
Look at this guff from https://www.johnlewispartnership.co....al-impact.html

It's one thing using some of the income from our pockets to spread some dosh to local charities (later in the quoted article), it's another to pretend that they are selling us stuff for social reasons.

Sorry, I have to disagree - profit is just part of their corporate objectives. If they were only interested in profit, they wouldn’t still be a partnership, they would have sold out to Venture Capitalists long ago.

You can disagree with how they do "social good", but they have always done it - in 1919 they set up a Staff Council and Charitable Donation Committee, and part of their Constitution has always been
Quote:
The Partnership aims to obey the spirit as well as the letter of the law and to contribute to the wellbeing of the communities where it operates.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote