Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2021, 19:46   #4456
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The world should see this pandemic as a very loud wake-up call. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that a more vicious outbreak will come one day. And possibly sooner than we expect.
But we are now prepared all we have to do is

1 stop educating people
2 don't sit on park benches
3 don't cut your hair
4 make sure business becomes unviable
5 get everyone to sit on their arses at home
6 make sure there's plenty of bog roll

Last edited by papa smurf; 31-03-2021 at 20:43.
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2021, 19:51   #4457
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

One of the questions that I put some weeks ago has been answered.

Will the Covid vaccine protect against a common cold (which, I'm told is also a Coronavirus)?

In my case, no. I caught a cold from my little grandson a couple of days ago. Btw, the sore throat was fixed in about 5 minutes with a spoonful of 15X Manuka honey.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
But we are now prepared all we have to do is

1 stop educating people
2 don't sit on park benches
3 don't cut your hair
4 make sure business becomes unviable
5 get everyone to sit on their arses at home
6 make sure there's plenty of bog role
.... "bog roll" even.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 31-03-2021, 19:57   #4458
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
One of the questions that I put some weeks ago has been answered.

Will the Covid vaccine protect against a common cold (which, I'm told is also a Coronavirus)?

In my case, no. I caught a cold from my little grandson a couple of days ago. Btw, the sore throat was fixed in about 5 minutes with a spoonful of 15X Manuka honey.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

.... "bog roll" even.
No - Colds can be a coronavirus or a rhinovirus, and vaccines for one form of coronavirus don’t often work on others (they are deigned for the specific family of coronavirus, not generally).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:04   #4459
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]One of the questions that I put some weeks ago has been answered.

It would be nice but no. If that was the case then having a coronavirus based cold in the past would protect you from COVID which would be great!

There is some evidence of residual immunity in unexposed people suggesting previous unknown coronavirus infection raises a response but the levels seem to be low unfortunately.

Also, as Hugh says, rhinoviruses are a big cause (30-80% of infections)
Old 01-04-2021, 12:04   #4460
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
Pfizer has accused the EU of delaying the supply of its jabs to countries battling Covid which are in desperate need of vaccines.

The drug maker has slammed export controls which it says have become a "significant burden" for production at its plant in Belgium, which supplies the UK and 70 other countries.

Danny Hendrikse, its vice-president for global supply, told The Times that regulations introduced in February put new pressures on the supply chain.

He said the company is now required to notify the Belgian government in advance about every parcel of vaccines it plans to export and approval must then be granted by the European Commission.

“It has caused a significant administrative burden and some uncertainty,” he said.

“Ultimately what we would like our colleagues to do is to focus on making and distributing the vaccine.”
The Times link in text for those who have access.
Old 01-04-2021, 13:40   #4461
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My dad had just had his second Pfzier jab.

so when I have my 2nd AZ jab on 7th June, I'll be a happy bunny.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:55   #4462
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Can someone please explain why vaccine passports are discriminatory?

Surely these are needed to protect people.
Old 02-04-2021, 13:12   #4463
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

Do you mean a vaccine passport to allow foreign travel, or a vaccine passport to go to the pub/theatre/football?

It will only be a few more months until most UK people have had their first jab.
Most children (apparently) will have already had Covid by then - if we go by the amount of positive tests in schools.

By the time vaccine passports are securely available - with safeguards for those 'unable' to be vaccinated and a method of stopping forgeries - there will be no need for one.

Foreign travel is another fish filled kettle altogether
Old 02-04-2021, 13:29   #4464
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Do you mean a vaccine passport to allow foreign travel, or a vaccine passport to go to the pub/theatre/football?

It will only be a few more months until most UK people have had their first jab.
Most children (apparently) will have already had Covid by then - if we go by the amount of positive tests in schools.

By the time vaccine passports are securely available - with safeguards for those 'unable' to be vaccinated and a method of stopping forgeries - there will be no need for one.

I agree with Carth, some form of confirmation that a traveller may need to produce with their passport could well be required when travelling abroad but...

The only people who I can see who would have cause to not want a vaccination 'passport' for use to access places within the UK on are, on basic level, those who have refused the vaccinations and fear that their freedom to do what they want in future could be curtailed.

On another level I do wonder what difference they would make as we don't yet know how long a vaccination would provide sufficient antibodies to give any long term protection and a vaccine passport could promote a false sense of security.

I also wonder how detailed and verifiable any 'passport' would be, without a photograph they would just become something that was as much use as a blank piece of paper. A full blown secure document which would have to be updated and renewed would cost a lot of money and I doubt if a lot people would be able to bear the cost. If the cost was hived off to private Government appointed firms then the experiences with the obscene profits made by organisations set up to deal with track and trace, for example, are anything to go by I can understand some people saying that they disagree with such passports being considered.
Old 02-04-2021, 13:36   #4465
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Important to understand that the first jab (O/AZ) gives 76% protection from 22 days after the first jab, and reduction in asymptomatic transmission by 67%, then 82% protection after the second dose but a reduction to 50% in asymptomatic transmission after the second dose.

It greatly reduces the likelyhood of severe illness and passing on the virus, it doesn't stop it.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-ce...ii-trials.html
Old 02-04-2021, 13:39   #4466
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

If, as is apparently the case, it doesn't stop you catching or transmitting the virus, what good would a vaccination passport do?
Old 02-04-2021, 14:24   #4467
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If, as is apparently the case, it doesn't stop you catching or transmitting the virus, what good would a vaccination passport do?
Very few things are 100% effective, but the chance of catching / transmitting are significantly reduced and the chances of severe illness and hospitalisation are practicaly zero. So if we're ever going to travel abroad this is as good as it gets (at the moment).
Old 02-04-2021, 14:24   #4468
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

My issue is the anti-vaxers and covidiots will just spread it to those who are unable to have a jab at the current time.

So why should these people be allowed access to anywhere without being challenged?

I, for one, won't be in any shops before June 21st, if at all.

Mr Amazon will get my business as I won't enter a shop (food shops excluded) that doesn't require proof.

People seem to forget that any shop has the right to refuse entry to anyone it wants, and you can't do squat, remember the supermarket that banned people wearing dressing gowns
Old 02-04-2021, 14:52   #4469
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Risk reduction, not risk-free.

In cars, we have brakes, air-bags, seat belts, crumple zones - but it’s still recommended to keep a reasonable distance between cars when driving, to further reduce the impact* of a collision.

The likelihood of catching COVID and the severity of the infection on someone can be measured by the viral load (a larger viral load is more likely to infect/impact someone than a low viral load) - the more unvaccinated infected people there are in an enclosed area, the higher the viral load.

*in so many ways...
Old 02-04-2021, 15:47   #4470
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Risk reduction, not risk-free.

In cars, we have brakes, air-bags, seat belts, crumple zones - but it’s still recommended to keep a reasonable distance between cars when driving, to further reduce the impact* of a collision.

The likelihood of catching COVID and the severity of the infection on someone can be measured by the viral load (a larger viral load is more likely to infect/impact someone than a low viral load) - the more unvaccinated infected people there are in an enclosed area, the higher the viral load.

*in so many ways...
What if the vaccinated people all have covid but the none vaccinated person in the room is covid free ?

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Quote:
I think it's probably a good idea to have " I think i'm speshull " tattooed on ones forehead ,then we will all know they have had a jab that may or may not have worked, and for those who have had and survived covid a tattoo saying "lucky"....