Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 28-12-2022, 17:31   #11101
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I had the misfortune to watch some PL live coverage on Prime over the last few days. If that’s the best one of the world’s biggest streaming companies can do then for me there’s no future for live sport on streamers. Awful, sub-HD picture quality on my Sony and Panasonic TVs via VM V6 boxes and just as bad using a Roku device. So I then tried using the Prime apps on the smart TVs, just as poor. No rewind or pause capability on any of them.
And Amazon have been doing this for how many years? No wonder the don’t charge for it!
I ended up using the iPad Prime Video app. Image crystal clear and the action was more than a minute ahead of what I saw on the TV. In fact the Prime app was also ahead of the browser version on my laptop.
I have no idea what the future holds for PL coverage on TV but, on this evidence, I won’t be watching it via a streaming service unless things dramatically improve.

Last edited by nialli; 28-12-2022 at 18:14.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2022, 18:51   #11102
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have watched several of the matches on Prime this week (and back in October) and they have been fine, nothing wrong with the HD picture (50" LG TV) - Also had one running in the other room on my Android TV Box (its feeding an 8.5 Year old Samsung TV that doesnt do WiFi very well) that was also just fine.

I dont expect rewind or pause on streaming, just as I dont expect it on Sky "red button" matches.

I dont specifically have Prime Video for the football, but I certainly had no compaints or issues with it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 21:46   #11103
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

According to my (admittedly hasty) online research, there’s no Prime Live Sports issue on LG or Samsung TVs but there is with Sony and Panasonic.
Could it be something on Japanese TVs that’s an issue?
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 11:35   #11104
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

No issues with live or rewind on 360 prime app.
Old 29-12-2022, 11:51   #11105
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
No issues with live or rewind on 360 prime app.
At a guess - and it’s just that - the experience will vary by platform.

The software platforms that will be better supported will be Apple, Android and the systems from major operators like Sky, Virgin etc (which are in use globally on sister operators). Proprietary systems from TV manufacturers will have the most variance by brand, model, age etc.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 15:59   #11106
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Apple+ is set to make a bid for the Premier League rights. For some of us, a major bid by a streaming service was always a high possibility this time around, but it won’t go down well in some circles.

https://www.imore.com/music-movies-t...premier-league

[EXTRACT]

Apple may have dropped out of the streaming rights race for the NFL Sunday Ticket, but it looks like it hasn't given up on its sports streaming aspirations yet. A new report from the Daily Mail says that Apple is planning on bidding for the streaming rights for Premier League.

The report says Apple is gunning for Apple TV Plus to grab the domestic streaming rights for the UK. The rights are currently with Sky Sports and BT Sport, in a three-year deal set to expire in 2025.
Old 17-01-2023, 16:52   #11107
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Apple+ is set to make a bid for the Premier League rights. For some of us, a major bid by a streaming service was always a high possibility this time around, but it won’t go down well in some circles.

https://www.imore.com/music-movies-t...premier-league

[EXTRACT]

Apple may have dropped out of the streaming rights race for the NFL Sunday Ticket, but it looks like it hasn't given up on its sports streaming aspirations yet. A new report from the Daily Mail says that Apple is planning on bidding for the streaming rights for Premier League.

The report says Apple is gunning for Apple TV Plus to grab the domestic streaming rights for the UK. The rights are currently with Sky Sports and BT Sport, in a three-year deal set to expire in 2025.
The rights are currently split three ways, the other player being Amazon with the smallest package of rights.

We don't know which rights packages will be on offer but I would expect Apple to be competing against Amazon for a smaller one and not BT and Sky for the larger packages. The Premier League would not sell the rights to one player as the excerpt you have quoted suggests is a possibility.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 07:46   #11108
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The rights are currently split three ways, the other player being Amazon with the smallest package of rights.

We don't know which rights packages will be on offer but I would expect Apple to be competing against Amazon for a smaller one and not BT and Sky for the larger packages. The Premier League would not sell the rights to one player as the excerpt you have quoted suggests is a possibility.
The report wasn’t suggesting that Apple could mop up all the rights to the Premier League, but it did suggest it could go for one of the major rights, which might include rights currently held by Sky.

How much of that was speculation is difficult to say, but I expect more on this will come out before long.
Old 18-01-2023, 09:44   #11109
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
A new report from the Daily Mail says that Apple is planning on bidding for the streaming rights for Premier League.

The report says Apple is gunning for Apple TV Plus to grab the domestic streaming rights for the UK
The words "some of" or "one of" are noticeably absent in the report - we can only comment on what is quoted, not on unvalidated assumptions...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 10:30   #11110
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
The report wasn’t suggesting that Apple could mop up all the rights to the Premier League, but it did suggest it could go for one of the major rights, which might include rights currently held by Sky.

How much of that was speculation is difficult to say, but I expect more on this will come out before long.
I think you're probably confusing this with another report you've read on the matter. Hugh's comments refer.
Old 18-01-2023, 10:31   #11111
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

I remember this story when it was Amazon

Also remember it when it was BT

Also remember it when it was ESPN

Also when it was Al Jazeera and/or BeIn

These stories usually come up every few years and it’s more likely speculation in order to rev up the bidding process rather than anything significant.

We know Apple are moving into sports but the speculation doesn’t mean anything until the auction starts… if anything there’s more evidence to suggest the current EPL structure for the U.K. doesn’t suit Apple’s ambitions given their global MLS deal where they own the entire things so to speak and the reports about how bad their NFL negotiations went where they were trying to get in-market and international rights that weren’t part of Sunday Ticket.

I wouldn’t read much into it - most likely someone from the PL eyeing a rights increase for the next deal and just trying to get the party started early!
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 07:28   #11112
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
I remember this story when it was Amazon

Also remember it when it was BT

Also remember it when it was ESPN

Also when it was Al Jazeera and/or BeIn

These stories usually come up every few years and it’s more likely speculation in order to rev up the bidding process rather than anything significant.

We know Apple are moving into sports but the speculation doesn’t mean anything until the auction starts… if anything there’s more evidence to suggest the current EPL structure for the U.K. doesn’t suit Apple’s ambitions given their global MLS deal where they own the entire things so to speak and the reports about how bad their NFL negotiations went where they were trying to get in-market and international rights that weren’t part of Sunday Ticket.

I wouldn’t read much into it - most likely someone from the PL eyeing a rights increase for the next deal and just trying to get the party started early!
The fact it’s coming from the Daily Mail sports reporter tells me the source for the exclusive isn’t sunning themselves up in Silicon Valley.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ue-rights.html

Quote:
The Premier League’s current three-year deal with Sky Sports and BT Sport expires in 2025, with the tender process for the next set of rights due to begin later this year.

A serious bid from Apple is the biggest threat to Sky Sports’ dominance of Premier League coverage since they gained exclusive rights to the competition in 1992, as they have the financial clout to challenge them.
Interesting that their journalist/source clearly doesn’t consider Amazon, who got their rights in the bargain bucket, under threat or part of the conversation for more.

The attempt to shakedown Sky/BT couldn’t be more obvious.

Last edited by jfman; 20-01-2023 at 07:39.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 17:51   #11113
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The words "some of" or "one of" are noticeably absent in the report - we can only comment on what is quoted, not on unvalidated assumptions...
And yet, Hugh, common sense denotes that the article was not saying that ALL the rights could be allocated to them because of course that's not how it works.

I know that you excel in pedantry, old chap, but you need to apply some common sense to your interpretation.

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The fact it’s coming from the Daily Mail sports reporter tells me the source for the exclusive isn’t sunning themselves up in Silicon Valley.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ue-rights.html

Interesting that their journalist/source clearly doesn’t consider Amazon, who got their rights in the bargain bucket, under threat or part of the conversation for more.

The attempt to shakedown Sky/BT couldn’t be more obvious.
I wouldn't have expected you to say anything else, jfman!
Old 20-01-2023, 17:58   #11114
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
And yet, Hugh, common sense denotes that the article was not saying that ALL the rights could be allocated to them because of course that's not how it works.

I know that you excel in pedantry, old chap, but you need to apply some common sense to your interpretation.
Writing "the rights" means all the rights, not some of them. I'm afraid Hugh is correct.
Quote:
The report says Apple is gunning for Apple TV Plus to grab the domestic streaming rights for the UK.
Old 20-01-2023, 17:59   #11115
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:43 ----------

I wouldn't have expected you to say anything else, jfman!
So, by that interpretation, Apple could be bidding for the same tranche of matches that Amazon currently hold, which would invalidate your assertion that "a major bid by a streaming service" was about to happen…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote