Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | favourite football matches

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

favourite football matches

Old 02-09-2007, 13:35   #46
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: favourite football matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
Good on ya mate - your one in a million.

Literally.
Nah, it's just that some people are not as fixated on fans coming from a 10 mile radius of the ground, as some people seem to be...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2007, 13:53   #47
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
I do support my local team, but who really cares about that? You for some reason...
And me. Yes, Utd is your local team, but for most, it isn't. And with no disrespect to anyone that disagrees with me, I would just like to share my thoughts on it.

I think its a shame and a blight* on football that people just support any team they fancy. It goes against the principal of football. Football was founded on men going to see their local team. They didn't have the money to travel across the country, or even city just to see their local team play.

If its OK to support a non-local team in football, then is it OK to support another country in football too? Can you imagine people born and raised in England supporting West Germany in 1966 because they had more success than us?

People don't live and die in the same place anymore like they used to but just supporting another team because they happen to win more than your local team goes against the whole spirit of football.

Just my

* A popular team gets more revenue than a less popular team. More revenue means more/better signings, which can mean better results, which results in more fans and more revenue. More revenue means... Football needs fans spread on geography and not on results.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:02   #48
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Liverpool 2005 Champion League Final (oh and i do live in Liverpool before anyone starts )
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:20   #49
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Back on topic... I'm a Spurs supporter so I not really used to picking out a favourite. Like trying to pick you favourite cold sore.

Spurs 6 - 2 Southhampton in the FA cup was quite a night. Rocket Ronny Rosenthal (The Ole of North London) scored a hat-trick.

Also, 4-1 against Man Utd a few years ago was a rare great night too
Old 02-09-2007, 14:30   #50
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
And me. Yes, Utd is your local team, but for most, it isn't. And with no disrespect to anyone that disagrees with me, I would just like to share my thoughts on it.

I think its a shame and a blight* on football that people just support any team they fancy. It goes against the principal of football. Football was founded on men going to see their local team. They didn't have the money to travel across the country, or even city just to see their local team play.

If its OK to support a non-local team in football, then is it OK to support another country in football too? Can you imagine people born and raised in England supporting West Germany in 1966 because they had more success than us?

People don't live and die in the same place anymore like they used to but just supporting another team because they happen to win more than your local team goes against the whole spirit of football.

Just my

* A popular team gets more revenue than a less popular team. More revenue means more/better signings, which can mean better results, which results in more fans and more revenue. More revenue means... Football needs fans spread on geography and not on results.
It is just an extremely petty thing to get worked up about. Enjoy the football, instead of trying to work out how many of the opposition fans come from the "locale". I am surprised that no-one has suggested we have a "local fan" test before they let the fans in

Things have moved on. People can afford to travel to a non-local team. Freedom of choice and all...

...and the suggestion that it is just Utd is also silly. As far as I am aware, the OP is from Blackpool, yet supports Liverpool, but only the Utd fans got the stick. It happens to other teams as well.

If anyone should moan about non-local fans, it should be the fans of that team, not others.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
Liverpool 2005 Champion League Final (oh and i do live in Liverpool before anyone starts )
I wasn't going to say anything
Old 02-09-2007, 14:39   #51
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Spurs 6 - 2 Southhampton in the FA cup was quite a night. Rocket Ronny Rosenthal (The Ole of North London) scored a hat-trick.

Also, 4-1 against Man Utd a few years ago was a rare great night too
Yours reminded me of another, Man Utd 5 - 3 Spurs. United 3-0 down at half time then scoring 5 unanswered goals to win in the second half
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:42   #52
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
<snip>
As has been said Gav, it's not just Man U, but the stick always comes in our direction. Even your beloved Spurs has supporters clubs here there and everywhere. My ex's dad was born and bred in Bow (so is a proper cockney) but is a Spurs supporter. My ex, of course is a West Ham fan, and has the gob to prove it.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:43   #53
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Just my

Not to mention the fact that some teams actively invest in the local community. By supporting a team thats close to you you are actually helping your local community to grow and prosper.

All your doing by wearing a Man U top when your nowhere near manchester is advertising to the world what a glory hunting ........ you are.

You might as well drive a BMW.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic View Post
As has been said Gav, it's not just Man U, but the stick always comes in our direction. Even your beloved Spurs has supporters clubs here there and everywhere. My ex's dad was born and bred in Bow (so is a proper cockney) but is a Spurs supporter. My ex, of course is a West Ham fan, and has the gob to prove it.
Thats becase Man U fans are by far and away the worst offenders.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:44   #54
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

This is one of my faves also, FA Cup 3rd round (Liverpool 5 v Luton 3) What a game that was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P276xS9d7M

Alonso's goal was just class!
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:45   #55
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
...but the fact that other clubs have the same problem is not an issue to you then?
Old 02-09-2007, 14:48   #56
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Quote:
And, of course, you have the official statistics, to substantiate your claims ?
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:49   #57
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
...and the suggestion that it is just Utd is also silly. As far as I am aware, the OP is from Blackpool, yet supports Liverpool, but only the Utd fans got the stick. It happens to other teams as well.
I never said it was just Utd which shows you didn't read my post, as well as your other comments in that posts which suggest this.

And for someone who doesn't care, you seem to go to a lot off effort to prove your Old Trafford local credentials.

And anyway, maybe you'll be happy with 99% of fans supporting Man Utd and the rest of the league getting 1% and what that will do to the enjoyment of football. Maybe you think its petty, but I don't. The gulf between the Premiership and Championship is already widened so much that a promotion from the Championship almost guarantees relegation from the Premiership the next season. I'm just being petty though.
Old 02-09-2007, 14:54   #58
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
I never said it was just Utd which shows you didn't read my post, as well as your other comments in that posts which suggest this.

And for someone who doesn't care, you seem to go to a lot off effort to prove your Old Trafford local credentials.

And anyway, maybe you'll be happy with 99% of fans supporting Man Utd and the rest of the league getting 1% and what that will do to the enjoyment of football. Maybe you think its petty, but I don't. The gulf between the Premiership and Championship is already widened so much that a promotion from the Championship almost guarantees relegation from the Premiership the next season. I'm just being petty though.
Did I say you? It was in the spirit of the having a go at just Utd theme, that seemed to started...

Also, where I am bigging up my Old Trafford credentials?

...and I didn't say that everyone had to support Utd. I was saying that they had the freedom of choice to choose whichever club they choose. Whether that is Utd or Accrington Stanley is upto them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
Old 02-09-2007, 14:55   #59
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

I really don't understand why people have a problem with which team other people support? Why on earth does it matter where they were born or live? I might have a problem if they went from team to team every few years depending on success, but if they have chosen a team and stick with them i honestly don't see the problem? And saying that it's just United is ridiculous.
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:59   #60
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedantic View Post
Again, I didn't say it was just Man Utd.

There's nothing wrong with having supporters clubs around the country. As I said, people don't live and die in the same street anymore. If I moved to Manchester, i'd still passionately support Spurs.

What's wrong, and a blight on football are little kids who choose what team to support by looking at a results table or because of one charismatic player. What if everyone supported the same team? The future of football relies on diverse, geographical support for all teams.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
I really don't understand why people have a problem with which team other people support? Why on earth does it matter where they were born or live? I might have a problem if they went from team to team every few years depending on success, but if they have chosen a team and stick with them i honestly don't see the problem? And saying that it's just United is ridiculous.
Man Utd fans aren't going to complain. They've done very well with the financial support of glory supporters. But to the rest of the football league who are trying to compete with a couple of massive clubs, it is a problem.