Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cancelling home phone line

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cancelling home phone line

Old 05-02-2012, 19:37   #1
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Cancelling home phone line

When my current contract ends I'm thinking of changing my overall services.

If I call Virgin to cancel my home phone line, how long will it take until the phone is cut off? Will it be within minutes of making the call?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2012, 12:12   #2
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Cancelling home phone line

It's not very long after calling them, however, if you cancel your landline service, the cost of your TV and Broadband will increase.

Example:

XL TV package: £24.50 Without a Virgin phone line, that increases to about £30

So if you don't use your home phone very often, tell that to retentions and see if they can knock the price down of your home phone or just be on the basic phone package and that way you always have a back up incase your mobile is out of action.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 20:54   #3
satellite-man
Inactive

Services: Sky Entertainment Extra/HD Pack Northern Ireland, VM 50MB BB, VM M TV, VM M Phone, BT Unlimited
satellite-man is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it is indeed cheaper with the phone, the only reason that i have their M TV & phone is cuz it works out 50p cheaper then just having the internet on its own
satellite-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 21:59   #4
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite-man View Post
yeah it is indeed cheaper with the phone, the only reason that i have their M TV & phone is cuz it works out 50p cheaper then just having the internet on its own
It always comes in handy at times as well
Old 12-02-2012, 17:33   #5
satellite-man
Inactive

Services: Sky Entertainment Extra/HD Pack Northern Ireland, VM 50MB BB, VM M TV, VM M Phone, BT Unlimited
satellite-man is an unknown quantity at this point

not really for me anyways seeings as i have BT Unlimited
satellite-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:16   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Apart from possibly getting your package at a lower the price the best reason to keep the phone line is because any call to Virgin Media will cost you nothing whereas using a BT line or a mobile will cost you money.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 16:55   #7
m419
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Apart from possibly getting your package at a lower the price the best reason to keep the phone line is because any call to Virgin Media will cost you nothing whereas using a BT line or a mobile will cost you money.
Not really, BT offers inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers and that includes 0845-454-1111
Old 13-02-2012, 18:04   #8
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

Quote:
How often do you expect people to phone VM?

I'm considering dropping my phoneline as well.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 18:28   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
How often do you expect people to phone VM?

I'm considering dropping my phoneline as well.
I am not expecting anything but in the majority of cases just having the phone line gives you a better price and the free calls to Virgin Media are always a bonus if required for any reason unless you prefer to pay through the nose especially if using a mobile.

So check the price before just cancelling your phone line, remember it does not even have to have a handset plugged in but it may well save you some money.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:30   #10
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... unless you prefer to pay through the nose especially if using a mobile.
Or maybe not!

For instance if you use the 18866 service you pay a lot less .. as I read it anyway!

UK Rates
Destination p/min
UK fixed lines 1
UK mobiles (sat/sun) 7
UK mobiles (weekdays) 14
UK (070 Personal) 20
UK (0845 Local) 4
UK (0870 National) 3

All these are subject to a 5p connection fee ..

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

.. or the 18185 service!

Calls within the UK:
p/min
UK Fixed 1
UK mobiles (sat/sun) 6
UK mobiles (weekdays) 10
0845 Local (sat/sun) 3
0845 Local (weekdays) 3
0870 National (sat/sun) 1
0870 National (weekdays) 3
070 Personal 25

Again, a 5p connection fee ...
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 14:33   #11
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Go to a website called Saynoto0870.

Type in the number search box "Virginmedia"

Ring one of 3 none 084 numbers listed, you'll be put through to Virginmedia customer support, Its either included in your call package or free from your mobile.

Its what I always do, and they are always very polite and more than happy to redirect your call.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Quote:

Ring one of 3 none 084 numbers listed ask to be put through to customer support, you'll be put through to Virginmedia customer support, Its either included in your call package or free from your mobile.

Its what I always do, and they are always very polite and more than happy to redirect your call.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote:

Ring one of 3 none 084 numbers listed ask to be put through to customer support, you'll be put through to Virginmedia customer support, Its either included in your call package or free from your mobile.

New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 14:47   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post

Why would you do that when in most cases getting the phone line reduces your package especially as it comes already fitted.

Not every number on those lists have the capability to transfer you and they can just tell you to ring back on the correct number, also little point using those numbers outside of normal office offers, so again rather pointless.

Now if you think not having a phone line does not cost you less then you need to learn to use a calculator the same as you need to learn not to multiple post the same thing in the same post.
Old 15-02-2012, 15:25   #13
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellite-man View Post
not really for me anyways seeings as i have BT Unlimited
Wouldn't it be cheaper to have either all BT or all VM?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:07   #14
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Quote:
Why would you do that when in most cases getting the phone line reduces your package especially as it comes already fitted.

Not every number on those lists have the capability to transfer you and they can just tell you to ring back on the correct number, also little point using those numbers outside of normal office offers, so again rather pointless.

Now if you think not having a phone line does not cost you less then you need to learn to use a calculator the same as you need to learn not to multiple post the same thing in the same post.
When I signed up - 50Mbit = £35 without phone line £25 with...

Phone like was £13.50 a month...

£25 + £13.50 = £38.50

So proof the phone line costs more

EDIT: Clarify this post is supportive, not criticizing the quoted post
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 17:00   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
When I signed up - 50Mbit = £35 without phone line £25 with...

Phone like was £13.50 a month...

£25 + £13.50 = £38.50

So proof the phone line costs more

EDIT: Clarify this post is supportive, not criticizing the quoted post
In most cases having the phone line lowers the cost and saves having to find strange numbers that will not be answered outside of normal office hours as per New to cable above.

You have the phone line and only connect a handset if and when required so no one is tempted to use it.