Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting 1 laptop 1 computer 1 modem with a Switch.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting 1 laptop 1 computer 1 modem with a Switch.

Old 05-12-2008, 18:04   #1
smoothcriminal
Inactive

smoothcriminal is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting 1 laptop 1 computer 1 modem with a Switch.

Hi all ,

Iam a newbie..I am having a serious issue.

I have 1 LAPTOP, 1 COMPUTER and 1 MODEM.

wat i need :

I WANT INTERNET AND FILESHARING FROM COMPUTER IN MY LAPTOP.

wat i dont need :

I DONT NEED INTERNET ON COMPUTER

wat i have :

I HAVE 8PORT SWITCH(PS2208B) AND STRAIGHT AND CROSS CABLE.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE......

attcahed image clearly shows my need..
smoothcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2008, 18:09   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Connetcing 1 laptop 1 computer 1 modem with a Switch.

Ok, lovely - we're going to need more information though.

First

Next, the setup in your diagram should (in theory) work provided that the machines are configured correctly.

Exactly what 'serious issue' are you having.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 18:11   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

That isn't going to be easy to do.

The switch is just a junction box. All signals in get passed to all other connections. The modem however only wants to see one connection, i.e. a single computer, or a router.

Connecting the switch to both computer and laptop at some point is going to mess things up. The modem will only issue a single IP address to the laptop or computer, not both. You'd have to issue fixed IP's to at least one, along with gateway and other IP info.

You really need to replace the switch with a router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 18:22   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You really need to replace the switch with a router.
I really need to read posts more carefully
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 18:30   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Can only be done IF you have a fixed IP on the modem, that way you can set the network card on the laptop to not only work with the modem but also a secondary IP (the gateway and DNS is set to whatever the modem wants...

(i.e.:

PC = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
Laptop=192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 and VM FIXED IP, SUBNET, GATEWAY and DNS )

If you;re on a residential IP then you can;t do it because if you change the IP to whatever the modem is issuing it'll timeout and reissue the same IP to someone else on the UBR after 7 days

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Pity windows can't allocate a dynamic IP AND be told to use a secondary IP, instead you have to do it all manually
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 21:38   #6
smoothcriminal
Inactive

Thanks all......

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

I DONT NEED INTERNET IN TWO SYSTEMS.

i NEED INTERNET AND FILE SHARING IN LAPTOP ONLY...

I made the connection....and when i connected all the 3 cables to switch.. ALL THE EIGHT LED's STARTED TO BLINK.

i used laptop --computer ---------> straight crimpped cable

modem---hub------> cross crimpped cable

hub---laptop -------> straight crimpped cable

PLEASE HELP
Old 05-12-2008, 21:45   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothcriminal View Post

Don't understand why...both PC's may be able to use the internet - so just don't use IE on the PC / laptop that you don't want to use the net on...

And please stop using CAPS!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42   #8
smoothcriminal
Inactive

is there any one to help me ?????
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56   #9
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

remove the switch, get yourself a second USB2 Ethernet adaptor or use the one supplyed with your VM BB connection if they gave you one (that dark blue USB to ethernet adaptor) and plug it into the laptop, and connect that directly to the destop PC with your crossover ethernet cable.

set that second ethernet to a fixed IP of say 192.168.0.2 and set your desktop PC's ethernet card as 192.168.0.3 netmasks of 225.225.225.0

set file sharing on both, and your done, but using the networking wizard (assuming your running windows)will be easyer for your setting up the Ip addresses and you will have auto web browsing on the desktop PC while the laptops powered on and connected even if you dont need/want it.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28   #10
smoothcriminal
Inactive

but how to connect internet ??
Old 06-12-2008, 09:05   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks all......

PLEASE UNDERSTAND

i NEED INTERNET AND FILE SHARING IN LAPTOP ONLY...
Correct and the way I specified is the ONLY way to do it and that relies on the ability to put in two IP's onto the laptop as you do NOT have 2 network cards... But as the modem relies on DHCP it just can not be done...

Either buy another network card (usb/pcmcia) for the laptop and then issue one to the modem and the other to the PC/switch...or go buy a router...or accept that with your current hardware you can not do it...

If you do use two network cards then you ONLY set the IP and SUBNET on the local 192.168.x.x card and not DNS or GATEWAY, that will allow you then to connect via the internet via the dns/gateway set up by the modem on the other card...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:13   #12
LSainsbury

I smell bad ham again....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:45   #13
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

We seem to be getting a lot of visitors from Asia lately...
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56   #14
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
We seem to be getting a lot of visitors from Asia lately...
Amazing that they have the time really...
Old 06-12-2008, 22:20   #15
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

Quote:
Hi all ,

Iam a newbie..I am having a serious issue.

I have 1 LAPTOP, 1 COMPUTER and 1 MODEM.

wat i need :

I WANT INTERNET AND FILESHARING FROM COMPUTER IN MY LAPTOP.

wat i dont need :

I DONT NEED INTERNET ON COMPUTER

wat i have :

I HAVE 8PORT SWITCH(PS2208B) AND STRAIGHT AND CROSS CABLE.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME TO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE......

attcahed image clearly shows my need..

Yes it's possible.

1. You need to set your computer to a static non-routable IP address e.g. 192.168.1.1. This will stop the modem from locking on to your computer.

2. You need to set your laptop to dynamic IP. This will cause the modem to lock on to your laptop and give it a valid internet address.

3. You need to add a static route on your laptop to your computer e.g. route -p add 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your laptop's IP address). Unless you do this your laptop won't be able to talk with your computer.

Unfortunately, because your laptop can get a different IP address every time you boot it, you can't add a permanent route from your laptop to your computer, which means you'll have to re-add it every time you turn your laptop on (if you want to access your computer). As others have already said, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle by replacing the switch with a router then you can leave everything on dynamic IP and not have to enter any static routes.

As for your 8 flashing lights - something is seriously wrong with some hardware or some wiring. You need to narrow down what the problem is before you go further. Try connecting your laptop directly to the modem. Do you get on the internet? If you do then try connecting the laptop to the switch and connect the switch to the modem. Do you still get on the internet? If so then connect the computer to the switch. Can your laptop still get on the internet?
caph is offline   Reply With Quote