Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connectivity problems whilst streaming

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Connectivity problems whilst streaming

Old 08-02-2022, 16:05   #1
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point
Connectivity problems whilst streaming

I stream films/shows from my computer to my Sony TV via a Flat Cat 5E patch cable. I use Emby as my server, though I have used Plex and Jellyfin in the past. So my problem is that I'm suffering a lot from buffering and I lose my connection sometimes. It states connected, but says no internet. The only way to get back my connection is to reboot my computer. Could these two issues be related? What can I do to try and find the root cause? While I was trying Plex, I would get the brief message of "your broadband speed is not fast enough" or words to that effect, though I don't see that on Emby.

I assume there could be a multitude of reasons, and I don't even know if I have posted in the correct forum, but could someone point me in the right direction of where to look first? This has been going on far too long.

If you have any answers, please spell it out on what to do,as I am lacking in the computer/networking area.

My broadband quality monitor graph(Thinkbroadband) looks OK to me, though I'm no expert.

Running Windows 11
BB 350/35
Hub 3.0
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2022, 16:12   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Connectivity problems whilst streaming

What is your PC hardware? Are the videos having to transcode and if so what kind of strain are you getting on your system? not sure that would cause a loss of internet though. Could be a fault on the cable or even your NIC. If your PC and TV have WIFI it might be worth switching both to WIFI to rule out cables and Network adapters then if it is stable got back to cabled on the PC then test then go cabled to the TV and test lest that will test all the hardware bit by bit

Am I right in assuming you have the PC and TV connected direct to the router?
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 16:57   #3
trublue
cf.addict

I have a brand new Chillblast computer, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz 64gb Ram.
I have tried Wi-Fi,still buffers but worse.Don't know why, my speeds should be sufficient.The router is in the room next to the TV.

Don't think it's the NIC,as I was having the same problem on my previous computer.But it does seem to happen more often since I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11.

As for the transcoding, not too sure, but I assume so. But this wasn't a problem 12 months ago, its been like a gradual thing. This computer is more powerful than my old one which was fine until this started happening.

Yes,the TV is connected via the Patch cable to my router, then Ethernet cable to computer.
Old 08-02-2022, 17:01   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Are the media you’re streaming on your PC, or are you streaming, via the PC, from the internet?

Are you using the same network cables as you were on your previous PC?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 17:48   #5
trublue
cf.addict

The media is on a hard drive on my computer, and I'm using the same cables as before.
Old 08-02-2022, 17:57   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Can I suggest trying different cables?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 18:05   #7
trublue
cf.addict

I will definitely try replacing the cables if everything else fails. Just need to buy some.
Old 08-02-2022, 18:53   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Check the system properties of the HDD you're using and make sure that DMA is in use.
Old 08-02-2022, 19:18   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Check the system properties of the HDD you're using and make sure that DMA is in use.
Not seen DMA settings for donkeys years haha
Old 08-02-2022, 20:11   #10
trublue
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I have opened device manager and clicked the drive I use,it mentions device is working properly.If it's anything other than this,I don't know what to do.
Old 08-02-2022, 20:20   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

you won't find it, the DMA settings in Windows have been automatic for years I believe
Old 15-02-2022, 09:54   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I bought a new Sony tv 2 years ago that claimed it had a built in media player and could play 4k x265 content but even ath 1080p it chugged like mad and the audio was always out of sync. It just wasn't up to the task and clearly needed either better hardware or more oomph to handle the demand. I always get the impression with these things that they do the minimum so they can advertise a tonne of modern technical features the tv can do but when it comes to reality it doesn't handle them so well.

The reason why I am telling you this is because my solution is worth 100 times its weight in gold. I discussed my problem with a friend and he recommended a Vero 4k. It is an absolute beast and plays everything and anything and I can't recommend it enough, I have got 3 in the house now connected to every tv. I would never have paid for and bought something like that at face value but I was more comfortable doing it because my friend is an IT Pro and I trust his advice. Even though it is a more costly solution I promise it is worth every single penny plus more. I use them every day and they do all the heavy lifting. The only thing the tv has to do is display the picture.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 15:20   #13
trublue
cf.addict

Many thanks for your advice and the reason you gave for changing over to the Vero 4k.I need to get something straight in my head, so please bear with me. At the moment, I have Emby server on my computer and the Emby app on my smart TV to view content via the computer. How will Vero be different to that set up?Do I still need a server on my computer, or do I access my files via Vero once it is fired up? What is the UI like,does it show Film/TV series with thumbnails and info? I have tried to find more info via Youtube, but there is very little out there. Sorry for all the questions,I just need to be sure before buying one. The only downside, if suitable, is another remote to go with the 2 I use at the moment
Old 15-02-2022, 16:22   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
Do I still need a server on my computer, or do I access my files via Vero once it is fired up?
It depends how you want to do it. The Vero will need to access the files from somewhere and has various methods of doing so. If you have something setup and running as a media server then it can discover them through DLNA and map shortcuts directly to those folders e.g. tv series, movies. If it is just a straight forward pc or server you can share the folder and access it via smb with ip address, username and password. Which ever way you do it you only need to do it once. You don't need to navigate to it every time, it is a one time setup to map a shortcut to a specific folder so you can go straight into it in the the future. Below is a photo I have taken for you to show you the different options.

I have got two NAS' which host all of my content. One is a Buffalo which runs straight forward DLNA and the other a Synology which runs its own media centre software. By using these two options I can take the easy way out and discover the devices by using the uPnP option in the list above rather than having to muck out with a more complex configuration.

Quote:
What is the UI like, does it show Film/TV series with thumbnails and info?
Have a look at this link and click on find out more

https://osmc.tv/

You are buying two different things with the Vero. The first one is the software (which is free) which is the player and all the features and the second is the hardware to run the software so the tv doesn't have to do any transcoding, processing or anything other than display the picture; similar to being connected to a bluray player or Sky box. All the work is done by the Vero. The software is called OSMC and has two different interfaces. There is the more plain bluey one which you see in that link which is what I use and then there is a Kodi one which changes it into more of what I would call a Netflix style interface where everything is a thumbnail and picture.

Quote:
The only downside, if suitable, is another remote to go with the 2 I use at the moment
It comes with a remote but if you directly connect the device to a hdmi port on your tv, your tv remote will completely control it if it has stop, pause, pause etc buttons on it. My Sony remote controls every aspect of the Vero and I have never even touched the Vero remote.

I honestly cannot emphasise enough how good the Vero 4k is. You'll find tonnes of different media players on the market which all claim to do various eye popping things at very inexpensive prices. I had two before the Vero, both were £35. The very first one was a Seagate I bought back in 2013 and played 720p x264 no problem but couldn't handle 1080p. The second one I bought was an android box which I installed VLC on and it played 1080p x264 no problem but chugged at x265 and after that I had my Sony tv which I mentioned earlier which claimed it could do everything and couldn't. There is a reason why the Vero 4k is three times more expensive than anything else and that is because it is flipping awesome and plays everything as smooth as a baby's bum. You are right in that there isn't much info out there to shout about it which is a shame. You look at the specs and what it says it can do and it reads very much the same as every other media player out there. The difference is that the Vero can actually do what it says it can do. I did plenty of googling and youtube watching when my friend told me about it and couldn't find any reviews but I took his advice and went for it anyway. I was so impressed that I sent them a very long email telling them how good I thought it was, I struggled to find any info or reviews prior to purchase and that they could make a fortune if they marketed it better and more people knew about it. I got the impression that they were happy with word of mouth and if you were in the right circles and knew the right people you would hear about it.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 17:24   #15
trublue
cf.addict

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble in writing this, it's much appreciated. At the moment, it's hard to get hold of one due to the chip shortage, but if I do end up getting one, do you mind if I contact you if I can't sort it out myself?
Cheers
Pete