Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installing a Home Ethernet Network?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Installing a Home Ethernet Network?

Old 17-02-2021, 18:38   #1
sabian
cf.member

sabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Installing a Home Ethernet Network?

My house is due a rewire (it's a 1930s build) and this seems like the opportune moment to also install wired ethernet to a number of rooms in the house given they'll be trunking put into the walls to feed the sockets from under the floorboards.

This is all about future proofing, given this is the "forever" house, so want the best possible internal network to avoid any bottlenecks. I don't want to consider an updated powerline solution simple due to the bottlenecks.

The current setup is under the stairs where the broadband currently comes into the property; the router connects directly to a gigabit switch, and off of that switch we have all the connected devices including a NAS (although this is due to be upgraded to newer NAS with 4 port link aggregation), a mesh wifi network and connection to a powerline adapter which serves the living room and upstairs office (although the NAS speeds are painfully slow - 5MB/s vs 50MB/s when connected directly to the computer via ethernet.

1) what are the best options cable wise? CAT6A, CAT7, CAT8? More than happy to shell out for CAT7 or CAT8 whilst distance from port to under the stairs will be less than 30 metres in all cases

2) what's the best option for connectors if I go the CAT7 or CAT8 route give RJ45 is limited to 10Gbps? GG45 connectors which are (I believe) exactly the same and fit the same ethernet sockets as a standard RJ45 connector but ultimately allow for 40Gbps or is there a better connector option?

3) in terms of the actually wiring, I presume it's best to run a single, individual length of CAT cable from the rooms (which have a female ethernet port to connect to), to under the stairs where there is a bank of further female ethernet ports - each port then being connected to the existing gigabit switch via a suitable GG45 CAT cable?

4) for under the stairs where all the ethernet CAT7/8 cables converge, is a bank of sockets via something like one of these patch panels (https://www.amazon.co.uk/1aTTack-Net...dp/B07PXDM27G/) the best option or has someone got any recommendations?

Any thoughts or suggestions as how to achieve the best result without bottlenecks appreciated

Last edited by sabian; 17-02-2021 at 18:43.
sabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2021, 20:53   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Installing a Home Ethernet Network?

Might be worth making it all PoE capable ?
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 00:45   #3
sabian
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Might be worth making it all PoE capable ?
I was debating that but ultimately the majority of devices will have their own power supplies, plus I'm planning on putting the new ethernet ports next to existing or new dual plug points (as needed) as part of the overall house rewire.

The only possibility I could think of for a device needing PoE might be security cameras and currently I'm using hardwired or battery powered Ring cameras which I'm happy with and have a seamless wifi connection with my mesh network.
Old 18-02-2021, 02:15   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I doubt you really need to go to the expense of Cat8 for a home network, I would stick to 7.

(TBH, unless you are running 10 Gbps at home, you dont really even need Cat 7)

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 10:50   #5
sabian
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I doubt you really need to go to the expense of Cat8 for a home network, I would stick to 7.

(TBH, unless you are running 10 Gbps at home, you dont really even need Cat 7)
Thanks for the suggestion fellow Nottingham person

Yer, I'm starting to think CAT6a with 10Gbps max speed transmission might be a better potential option?

The new/future NAS has 4Gbps max transfer speed, 1Gbps internet when that becomes more mainstream in the coming years, whilst even streaming 4k from the NAS to multiple network attached devices using the likes of Plex should still leave plenty of scope on CAT6a and come below 10Gpbs (if my numbers are correct)?
Old 18-02-2021, 13:00   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabian View Post
I was debating that but ultimately the majority of devices will have their own power supplies, plus I'm planning on putting the new ethernet ports next to existing or new dual plug points (as needed) as part of the overall house rewire.

The only possibility I could think of for a device needing PoE might be security cameras and currently I'm using hardwired or battery powered Ring cameras which I'm happy with and have a seamless wifi connection with my mesh network.

What I have been contemplating is setting up my network using PoE Mesh nodes around the house as well as wired. This way the nodes become part of the furniture with no visible wiring. With so many devices WiFi now cameras bulbs sockets and all the rest of the smart kit I am putting priority on a good WiFi network above the rest and backhauling all the Mesh network means full signal and speed everywhere
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 14:25   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What ever Ethernet option you go for look at ease of upgrading cables, run channelling if possible.

Also make sure you have plenty of power sockets and consider a few unused on spare, and consider smart sockets.
Old 18-02-2021, 14:29   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Make it as future-proof as possible, and as easy as you can for upgrades at some point.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 15:43   #9
sabian
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
What I have been contemplating is setting up my network using PoE Mesh nodes around the house as well as wired. This way the nodes become part of the furniture with no visible wiring. With so many devices WiFi now cameras bulbs sockets and all the rest of the smart kit I am putting priority on a good WiFi network above the rest and backhauling all the Mesh network means full signal and speed everywhere
I'm notably seeing much better coverage from introducing a mesh network over just a standard router wifi.

Notably the existing house automation is done with Google Assistant, this also is linked with my LightwaveRF thermostats and light switches and works without any problems.

I was debating WAP more recently however given my mesh wifi network works great and the signal goes way beyond my property boundaries (I can get full wifi internet speeds right at the end of my garden where previously there was none), I'm not too fussed about going that route, especially as I can always purchase some additional mesh nodes and plug them into future planned ethernet ports to improve the coverage if needed.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
What ever Ethernet option you go for look at ease of upgrading cables, run channelling if possible.

Also make sure you have plenty of power sockets and consider a few unused on spare, and consider smart sockets.
Well the house needs a complete rewire and the electrics are currently in a rather shoddy state with awful plug points added onto the skirting boards (lol).

Ultimately all the plug points are being done, with a number of rooms getting additional plug points where needed, whilst on sitting down and actually thinking about how many ethernets I'll conceivably need in the future, I think dual ethernet ports are likely worth doing (so around 16 ethernet ports in total).
Old 18-02-2021, 18:40   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabian View Post
The new/future NAS has 4Gbps max transfer speed, 1Gbps internet when that becomes more mainstream in the coming years, whilst even streaming 4k from the NAS to multiple network attached devices using the likes of Plex should still leave plenty of scope on CAT6a and come below 10Gpbs (if my numbers are correct)?
Unless you live in a mansion, then yes, 6a will run at those speeds.

It really depends on what you want to pay, 7 would (in theory) be better, In practice, in an average house, you likely wont tell the difference.

A 4G transfer speed may be the theory, but unless what you are sending it to/from needs that speed (and can handle it) its not going to transfer that fast.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 19:07   #11
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

If you thinking of adding POE. Put a port or 2 near the outside coners of the house for CCTV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F3CH6...M2JJJ3PQQNXDJ5
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 08:35   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

You're over complicating things.
I set up a 'home network' about 10 years about. It involved lifting the edges of carpets ( whilst the wife was out ) and stuffing loads of the cheapest ethernet in then connecting to router. Worked fine with full speeds around the house ever since
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 12:10   #13
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I should also say I have 3 Network Switches (5, 8, & 6),
Old 22-02-2021, 12:12   #14
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Cat6 will be fine, 7 if you really want to future proof.

Bare in mind keeping Ethernet cables away from power cables and also ideally no 90 degree bends.

I'd also look at sending some cables up to the attic for IP CCTV cameras.

You can then have them go straight back into the NVR where they will be powered over POE.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 17:56   #15
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

This is part and parcel of what i'm doing, since i already have Cat 7 in place from when i did a dull rewire last year from Cat 5 i want to upgrade our Ethernet network to 10gb.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote