Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Smart Meter Con

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The Smart Meter Con

Old 08-10-2022, 04:46   #121
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Seems someone has finally noticed.

They last bit is irritating, I already told them (last year) that I dont want a smart meter.

I know mine is aging, and its almost ready to loop around again (from 99999 > 00000) which Im sure will cause issues, but I'm not in any hurry to swap it yet.

I'll just ignore this for now I think and see what happens.
Another company tried this a few years ago, even sent me a letter with a proposed install date, which I ignored. No one ever turned up.
I’ve been ignoring various suppliers for years, despite signing up to tariffs that claim I’ve “agreed” to have a smart meter installed I’ve ignored the letters/emails and when they’ve rung me up I’ve said the available times for installation don’t suit.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2022, 09:11   #122
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Seems someone has finally noticed.

They last bit is irritating, I already told them (last year) that I dont want a smart meter.

I know mine is aging, and its almost ready to loop around again (from 99999 > 00000) which Im sure will cause issues, but I'm not in any hurry to swap it yet.

I'll just ignore this for now I think and see what happens.
Another company tried this a few years ago, even sent me a letter with a proposed install date, which I ignored. No one ever turned up.
I’ve been ignoring Shell’s constant texts and emails too.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:19   #123
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

You don't get any choice over having a Smart Water meter installed.
Can now see my water usage by the half-hour.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:39   #124
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I used to get monthly emails with Bulb about getting a smart meter installed then they sent this email and I've heard nothing since.

Quote:
What would you like to do?
Hi ********

We’ve sent you a few messages about smart meters recently, but we haven’t heard back. So we’re checking in to see what you’d like to do:

Book your installation
Choose the best time and we’ll book your appointment.

Stop these Messages
If you don’t want a smart meter, or now isn’t a good time, tell us and we’ll stop asking.
Since February I've heard nothing from them.
Old 13-10-2022, 11:46   #125
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm lucky enough to live in a shitty mobile signal area so the thing can't phone home, so my installation was cancelled, I've come to the realisation that this is probably for the best.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:05   #126
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
A rising number of households are having their energy smart meters remotely switched to prepayment meters, the energy regulator has said.

Energy firms use the technology to swap customers who are in debt to the more costly plan without needing a warrant.

Ofgem said it had received reports of "vulnerable customers being left without power for days or even weeks".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63554879
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 13:15   #127
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone
I'm lucky enough to live in a shitty mobile signal area so the thing can't phone home, so my installation was cancelled, I've come to the realisation that this is probably for the best.
Yes better than you realise mate!!

Good for you
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 13:35   #128
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Why? Are you planning on not paying your bills?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 13:38   #129
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Why? Are you planning on not paying your bills?
Not at all, but I'm seeing no benefit and lots of real and potential issues later on, so I'll just keep as I am thanks.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 14:50   #130
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Not at all, but I'm seeing no benefit and lots of real and potential issues later on, so I'll just keep as I am thanks.
Yep - that's the one. Let's say you're put onto pre-payment by mistake. Or they cut you off by mistake.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2022, 22:54   #131
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

"Trojan Horse that could pull down the whole grid"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tics-fear.html

Don't want a smart meter anyway.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 17:34   #132
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Just had a chap from Scottish Power tell me one of the benefits of having a smart meter is it'll give off less radiation than my current meter . He also told me I must have one because it's the law and it's all to do with the banning of petrol and diesel engines and that Scottish Power are a big company and wouldn't lie to customers. He also said I wouldn't be able to drive in Glasgow soon unless I had an electric car.

I told him I didn't want one, I don't have to have one and him saying I must have one is wrong and dishonest. When it comes to Scottish Power not lying to customers I suggested he Googled the £8.5 million fine they got a few years ago for mis-selling. Also, having been involved in planty of behind the scenes work on Low Emission Zones I offered him the truth about the upcoming changes in Glasgow, but he told me he lived there so knew what he was talking about. I said it was a shame his knowledge on the changes to driving in Glasgow was as poor as his facts about smart meters.

I asked to speak to his manger because I felt he was trying to scare me in to getting one and he put the phone down.

Feel a bit guilty now because he only sounded a young lad and I could tell he was nervous, but he shouldn't be allowed to ring people up and try to bully them however much they laugh at his outlandish claims.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 17:41   #133
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

To be fair, I’ve yet to meet anyone in Glasgow who knows exactly what the Low Emission Zone means. It doesn’t help that their online checker is extremely vague (‘your car may not qualify’ is the best it will say. Somehow I suspect the computer that issues the fines won’t act all coy when spitting out its tickets).

As it happens, I’m sure my 10 year old diesel Berlingo doesn’t qualify, while my 5 year old petrol Panda does. Neither are electric, obvs. Your nuisance caller was talking out of his bahookie on all points.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 13:01   #134
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Welsh Water has is going for a big push to fit Smart Water Meters to ALL customer's supplies.

They say it will "help" households use less water and save money. But once the majority have them, I bet the unit rate will rise to return income to previous levels. And then the annual increases will surge I bet.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 13:18   #135
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Even Martin is telling people now the only non SVR tariff worth considering is Octopus agile (although the normal trackers are also good).

My smart meter has saved me a ton of money, but I still see often people not wanting them.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote