Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powering a Hub5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powering a Hub5

Old 07-10-2022, 07:56   #1
John Mc
cf.member

John Mc is an unknown quantity at this point
Powering a Hub5

With the threat of power cuts over the winter I am looking at maintaining WiFi for my mobile (the O2 service is pants). The PSU says 12V @ 3amp regulated.

Is it possible to run it off a battery?
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2022, 08:27   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Powering a Hub5

As long as you get the exact voltage correct I can't see why this wouldnt work.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:45   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

If you use a portable power generator it has a standard mains outlet and should keep the router going in theory. I dunno how it works though I imagine there is power running to the cab? would a grid power cut hit that as well ?
Old 07-10-2022, 10:29   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

AFAIK the street cabs use the local electricity supply so would go down during a power outage so you would loose connectivity anyway even if the house WiFi was still operating.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:54   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The cabinets have battery backup for old-school phone, but not broadband or TV (so VOIP will go off too - vulnerable customers with VOIP get a mobile-based backup unit)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 15:51   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The cabinets have battery backup for old-school phone)
It's worth having an old (wired handset) telephone to plug in if the power goes off, as modern DECT phones won't operate without mains power (the base station goes off).
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 16:31   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
It's worth having an old (wired handset) telephone to plug in if the power goes off, as modern DECT phones won't operate without mains power (the base station goes off).
Incidentally, BT Full Fibre no longer has a phone line at all - the phone service is delivered via the fibre and the handset they supply connects to the Wi-Fi. You can buy a battery backup for the router if you want it (they supply it free to vulnerable users).

From this I surmise that the Openreach fibre network is run on battery backup at the exchange if need be, though even if it isn’t, BT’s Hybrid Connect service will switch to the EE 4G service if the fibre goes dark. That still requires mains power though.

Given that rota power cuts are the worst case scenario I am not about to run out and splash a load of cash on a home power bank just yet. I don’t do nearly enough of the outdoor living they’re primarily aimed at so I might never use it. At our old house, power cuts were a fact of life and a winter storm could leave us off mains for days at a time. So we can cope with 3 hours no problem.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 19:58   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I think a few weeks without the interweb would help society tbh. However some would actually have to go out of their house to shop and wouldn't know where to begin..... Take a bag is my advice, they are very pricey these days
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 20:56   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Incidentally, BT Full Fibre no longer has a phone line at all - the phone service is delivered via the fibre and the handset they supply connects to the Wi-Fi. You can buy a battery backup for the router if you want it (they supply it free to vulnerable users).

From this I surmise that the Openreach fibre network is run on battery backup at the exchange if need be, though even if it isn’t, BT’s Hybrid Connect service will switch to the EE 4G service if the fibre goes dark. That still requires mains power though.

Given that rota power cuts are the worst case scenario I am not about to run out and splash a load of cash on a home power bank just yet. I don’t do nearly enough of the outdoor living they’re primarily aimed at so I might never use it. At our old house, power cuts were a fact of life and a winter storm could leave us off mains for days at a time. So we can cope with 3 hours no problem.
Yes the Openreach FTTP network has battery backup at the exchange, the FTTC network has barrery backup at the cabinets. I've seen many reports of FTTC cabs being set up again after an RTA being run on batteries until the power company can fix the mains supply. Engineers would regularly change out the batteries until the supply was fixed.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 21:57   #10
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

So there probably isn't likely to be any blackouts really. I think that if there are likely to be issues they will tell people to work from home again so the businesses can use less energy (lights, heating off, probably only powering comms cabinets and the like etc) in offices, and they'll suggest people turn off things which aren't essential, maybe we'd see stuff like traffic lights and street lights on reduced too (maybe 1 in 2 or something on the latter) but realistically society has changed since the last time they did do this and we have much more that's dependent on being kept on as do places which store things which are temperature controlled.

It does make me smile when they say about keeping your phones charged and stuff when a phone still needs to connect to a mast which still needs power, what happens if the mast is affected by the blackout?

I have key stuff like PCs, switches, servers, and the hub on a UPS, You can get them with a conventional socket, it lasts about 15-30 mins depending on what you have plugged in (so maybe just something like a superhub on its own might be longer than having computers on there as well) but whether you could get one lasting 3 hours or whether this wouldn't just be affected by any downstream outage as well, who knows.

Despite the fact some people will rightly dismiss it being reported on as scaremongering, I do think it's right they plan for the situation. After all, they did get a bit of a bad press for being unprepared for the pandemic.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 13:09   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I'm not looking forward to watching the tele by candlelight.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 13:58   #12
memememe
cf.member

memememe is an unknown quantity at this point

I will make good with the time and vacuum the house by candlelight.
memememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 20:35   #13
John Mc
cf.member

John Mc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I'm not looking forward to watching the tele by candlelight.
We were having our house rewired and I had coupled up a portable TV to a 12V battery for the kids. The expression on the engineers face was a better picture than the TV!
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote