Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Internet Problems

Old 25-08-2009, 07:28   #1
Mahalo
Inactive

Mahalo is an unknown quantity at this point
Internet Problems

Recently, my computer crashed or froze...not too sure. So i bought a software called System Mechanic Pro which I'm guessing deleted a whole bunch of stuff, including my local area connection. My problem is that I am now unable to connect to the internet on my computer. Althought I am still able to access the internet from my laptop and another desktop via a router. I have a Gateway computer, would anyone know how to retrieve the local area connection by any chance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2009, 08:38   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Internet Problems

Quote:
Have you checked in device manager to make sure the network device hardware is still installed? Do you use ethernet, wireless or a usb adaptor to connect?
quoted from Paul

Quote:
Yes, the network device hardware is still installed. It say 1394 adapter. But the local area connection has been erased.
I'm pretty sure it's ethernet. There's a box with blinking lights connected to the computer.

Sorry, I'm not that good with computers.
Taken from the closed thread with more information lol

That is not the networking adapter you need that one is firewire. Is there no other networking adapter of warnings in device manager
Old 25-08-2009, 08:44   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Do a rescan in the device manager... (right click my computer>> device manager (somethimes you ahve to go via properties dependant on the OS)

Once in the device manager right click on an item and choose "scan for hardware changes"

See if that picks anything up
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 08:49   #4
Mahalo
Inactive

what do you mean by warnings?

Theres a whole bunch of yellow exclamation points under 'Other Devices'
Old 25-08-2009, 08:49   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Does one say PCI Communications device?
Old 25-08-2009, 08:53   #6
Mahalo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Do a rescan in the device manager... (right click my computer>> device manager (somethimes you ahve to go via properties dependant on the OS)

Once in the device manager right click on an item and choose "scan for hardware changes"

See if that picks anything up

Tried it....didnt work. Thanks for trying.

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Does one say PCI Communications device?
Yes.
Old 25-08-2009, 08:55   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Well that's your network card... Do you have a driver disk for it? If so then insert the CD and right click on the PCI COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE and and select update driver..then select the automatic search..

If you don;t have a driver disk then unless you can identify either the card, or the motherboard involved we can;t help you much more
Old 25-08-2009, 09:03   #8
Mahalo
Inactive

ok...im gonna look for that disk....but if i cant find it, would there be any other way?

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

ok so the only thing i found is an operating system disc....is that the one?
Old 25-08-2009, 09:03   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Yes, firstly you need to identify if the NIC is onboard or in a card slot.. If onboard then we need to know your PC chipset (can't remember the program (something like everest I think) but I'm sure Zing will be along soon to tell ya )

If in a card slot then you might have to take it out and give us the main chip number/or model number..

Once we know either way we can point you to the drivers for it

As far as the OS disk is it marked GATEWAY? if so then yes it could have the drivers on it..
Old 25-08-2009, 09:05   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

It is Everest, that's the name I was just trying to remember
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 09:18   #11
Mahalo
Inactive

how do i find out if the NIC is on board or in a card slot?
Old 25-08-2009, 09:20   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Errr, you look...

Take a picture of the back of your PC if you;re not sure then post it on here..

But if your ethernet port is directly next to or above your usb ports then it's onboard, if though it's in one of the slots then it's on a card)
Old 25-08-2009, 09:23   #13
Mahalo
Inactive

ok so my usb ports are in the front and my ethernet is in the back so....would that be a card slot?
Old 25-08-2009, 09:25   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Most PC's also have USB at the back... Is the ethernet port within some horizontal or vertical long slots (about 3 inches)