Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 16:38   #1606
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Again Old Boy you are trying to sit on the fence rather than clearly define what your intention is/was. I'm 100% certain this is deliberate on your part.

I go onto my phone and use the Premier Sports app and chromecast Premier Sports 1 to my TV. It's some old documentary not a 'live' game. Am I watching a linear channel by your definition?
If it’s an old documentary, how can it be live? It will be VOD, obviously if it’s not on scheduled TV. You are asking some pretty basic questions here, jfman, and you know the answers very well. So what are you up to?
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2020, 16:44   #1607
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If it’s an old documentary, how can it be live? It will be VOD, obviously if it’s not on scheduled TV. You are asking some pretty basic questions here, jfman, and you know the answers very well. So what are you up to?
Clear answers, old chap.

You need to stop trying to provide context - you're only adding to the confusion.

You've introduced some hypotheticals here that aren't necessary. I'm talking about here and now, this afternoon. Not what will happen in 20x5.

It's 16:44 on Tuesday, 1st December 2020. I'm using a Chromecast to watch 'La Liga highlights' on La Liga TV from an app. It's not a live fixture. It is delivered over the internet. It's in sync (or thereabouts) with the broadcasts on Sky channel 435 and Virgin Media channel 554.

Am I watching linear television?

Last edited by jfman; 01-12-2020 at 16:55.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:00   #1608
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
And here you go, trying to clarify your position by conflating terminology, while helpfully drawing our attention to an older post where you prove beyond doubt that you have a shaky grasp at best of the issues and the terminology used to describe them.

Your opening thesis, in the original future of linear tv thread, was that it is primarily the concept of the *schedule* that is obsolete. You went on at length about how great it is that you have a Netflix watch list, and how brain-dead people are for still wanting to come home and sit in front of a tv *schedule* at the end of a day.

The BBC transmits broadcast signals over terrestrial, cable and satellite, and is also utilising IP, which is a data stream that only exists between server and client when the client requests it, so is not broadcast - but it is still transmitting its *schedule* over IP, as well as providing an on-demand service. The document you referred to foresaw a time when the national IP network would be sufficiently mature and robust, and would penetrate sufficient homes, for it to be utilised exclusively. Broadcast of BBC services could then stop, allowing exclusively IP transmission to continue.

The crucial point you seem to have missed is that nowhere has the BBC said it will cease to transmit its *schedule* over IP. And this despite you predicting precisely that, right from the start, as well as egregiously insulting everyone who questioned you.
Well, quite, but my argument for that was that once the entire viewing audience was able to access VOD, this would eventually become the default means of viewing for most people, and why would broadcasters want to fuss with a schedule when they could simply upload the programmes?

For commercial broadcasters,I simply do not believe that the advertising revenue would be sufficient to make it worth their while if there was the shift of viewing patterns that I envisage.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Clear answers, old chap.

You need to stop trying to provide context - you're only adding to the confusion.

You've introduced some hypotheticals here that aren't necessary. I'm talking about here and now, this afternoon. Not what will happen in 20x5.

It's 16:44 on Tuesday, 1st December 2020. I'm using a Chromecast to watch 'La Liga highlights' on La Liga TV from an app. It's not a live fixture. It is delivered over the internet. It's in sync (or thereabouts) with the broadcasts on Sky channel 435 and Virgin Media channel 554.

To be honest, jfman, I am well past caring about what you want to describe as linear TV. You have totally missed my point.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:07   #1609
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
To be honest, jfman, I am well past caring about what you want to describe as linear TV. You have totally missed my point.
Yet you could have replied with a simple 'yes' or 'no' Old Boy and headed me off at the pass.

I haven't missed your point. I've seen right through your point. As has everyone else.

Quote:
Well, quite, but my argument for that was that once the entire viewing audience was able to access VOD,
When does this happen?

Broadband penetration is at 82%. What makes you think that those out there without broadband want to pay a subscription to watch television?

Quote:
this would eventually become the default means of viewing for most people, and why would broadcasters want to fuss with a schedule when they could simply upload the programmes?
Because there's viewers out there.

Quote:
For commercial broadcasters,I simply do not believe that the advertising revenue would be sufficient to make it worth their while if there was the shift of viewing patterns that I envisage.
Yet as I have pointed out hundreds of times the EPGs are littered with channels that regularly get fractions of one per cent of the audience. Why will that audience not be commercially viable in 20x5 but it is in 2020?
Old 01-12-2020, 17:12   #1610
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
What absolute nonsense you do talk. When it became apparent back in 2015 that some were taking the reference to ‘linear’ to mean ‘live’, I clarified what I meant by the term and I acknowledged that OF COURSE live TV would still exist - just not as channels - in the sense of conventional channels.

You do love to change history to suit yourself.
Eh?

Most programmes on ‘linear’ tv (current broadcast channels) are not live...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-12-2020, 17:17   #1611
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Eh?

This is why I'd like him to answer the question as posed above. This nonsense conflating how television is consumed with the delivery method is simply turning the discussion into a farce.

In truth I don't think we will see the end of linear (under the conventional definition, not the obfuscated one) or a 100% IPTV based system by 2035 but at least it wouldn't be trying to his a moving target as Old Boy clutches at straws.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:22   #1612
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Eh?

I know that linear scheduled TV is live. The problem was that when I first mooted that linear TV would disappear, some people interpreted this (some mischievously) that this would mean that we could no longer watch sport live, which was not what I meant. I was referring to scripted TV, which would be VOD.

I agreed, once I realised what they were assuming, that of course, sport, news and other live events would be streamed.

I think this question well demonstrates the problem in discussing matters that are technical. Even a question on what is ‘live TV’!
Old 01-12-2020, 19:27   #1613
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Quote:
Eh?

I know that linear scheduled TV is live. The problem was that when I first mooted that linear TV would disappear, some people interpreted this (some mischievously) that this would mean that we could no longer watch sport live, which was not what I meant. I was referring to scripted TV, which would be VOD.

I agreed, once I realised what they were assuming, that of course, sport, news and other live events would be streamed.

I think this question well demonstrates the problem in discussing matters that are technical. Even a question on what is ‘live TV’!
That doesn’t make sense..

‘Linear TV’ is a list of scheduled programmes, where the viewer knows in advance what is on and when/where - the fact that some programmes are transmitted live and others are pre-recorded is irrelevant; it’s the schedule/channel combo that makes them linear.

How the linear channels are delivered (DTT, cable, broadband, 5G, 6.5G, direct to the optic nerve) is irrelevant, it’s the pre-agreed schedule/channel that’s relevant.

ymmv

Last edited by Hugh; 01-12-2020 at 19:32.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:31   #1614
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

Old Boy the only mischief making here is your persistent moving of goalposts and evasion of straightforward questions for fear of being pinned down on your point. To the extent you contradict yourself a mere few posts apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman

It would, genuinely, be helpful if you could answer the above by means of a straightforward yes or no.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:31   #1615
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
That doesn’t make sense..
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:35   #1616
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

<catches breath>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahagahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahah...

<passes out, due to exhaustion from laughing so much>

https://www.muvi.com/wiki/linear-tv.html

Quote:
Linear TV is a real-time television service that broadcasts scheduled programs, conventionally over the air or through satellite/cable, not streamed to a specific user. Nearly, all broadcast television services count as linear TV.
https://www.oracle.com/data-cloud/ctv-vs-ott.html
Quote:
What is Linear TV?
Linear TV is a traditional system in which a viewer watches a scheduled TV program at the time it’s broadcast and on its original channel. It also can be recorded via DVR and watched later. Linear TV still boasts the largest market, however, reach is fragmenting due to the increasingly competitive advanced TV landscape.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse.../km_report.pdf
Quote:
Linear TV (viewed at the time of broadcast) continued to play an important role in most participants’ viewing habits, and was particularly valued for ‘event TV’ content, live sports and, to a slightly lesser extent, drama series and soaps.

Last edited by Hugh; 01-12-2020 at 19:41.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:44   #1617
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

That's some size of a frigging hole....
Old 01-12-2020, 19:45   #1618
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Thanks for telling us what we already knew, Hugh.
Old 01-12-2020, 19:47   #1619
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Thanks for telling us what we already knew, Hugh.
Quote:
When you say ‘we’...
Old 01-12-2020, 19:50   #1620
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
When you say ‘we’...
Closed Thread