Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?
View Poll Results: Smart Meter Yae or Nae
Yes 18 43.90%
No 18 43.90%
Undecided 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2024, 14:37   #226
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura
Re: Smart Meter, Yae or Nae?

Mine will be 20.57 for electricity and 4.16 for gas. I'm not really checking seriously until I have a full week/months figure, although the prices vary day by day it's the overall figures that count.
Old 06-05-2024, 15:27   #227
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Mine will be 20.57 for electricity and 4.16 for gas. I'm not really checking seriously until I have a full week/months figure, although the prices vary day by day it's the overall figures that count.
This site gives you information on pricing for the Tracker for the last year, it's mostly below the standard tariff, atleast in my area. Scroll down to get to the graphs.

https://energy-stats.uk/octopus-trac...stern-england/
Old 07-05-2024, 16:00   #228
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Another missive direct from Scottish Power:

"We're obligated by the government to install smart meters in our customers' homes.

The smart meter rollout in the UK has been designed to build a foundation for a smarter, more environmentally friendly energy system that will benefit us all, now and in the future. As part of this nationwide effort, all energy suppliers are obligated by the Government to install smart meters in their customers' homes.

Therefore, please book a smart meter installation appointment as soon as possible."
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 14:26   #229
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

"The installation programme of smart meters, launched by the Government in 2011, is hugely over budget and behind schedule.

Ofgem has said it is concerned about the 'slow progress of installations for smart prepayment meters, and the potential impact of that on vulnerable households'.

Late last year, six companies were fined a combined £10.8 million for missing the regulator's 2022 targets."

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

Another email from Scottish Power

"How can a smart meter help me save money?

As highlighted by the Energy Saving Trust*: "A smart meter supports you with reducing your energy consumption. When you can see and understand how you're using energy, it helps you manage that. That means lower bills for you and a lower carbon footprint too."

Will my readings and bills be accurate?

Not only does a smart meter monitor your energy use but it also provides us with accurate automatic meter readings2 and, if you choose to have an In-Home Display (IHD), you can see your usage in pounds and pence. Accurate readings mean that you can avoid paying for more energy than you use.

What else does a smart meter give me access to?

The technology provided by a smart meter helps you consider a wider range of energy tariffs and tools. When you become a ScottishPower smart customer you'll be able to access Energy Insights , our handy energy monitoring tool. With Energy Insights you can track your energy habits to pinpoint changes that could help you save energy.

Are smart meters safe?

The smart meters used in Britain have passed strict safety testing and are covered by UK and EU product safety legislation† . Your energy supplier also receives alerts about your smart meter functionality, when it's connected to the network, meaning any potential issues can be identified quickly. For more details, please visit the Smart Energy GB website . Smart meter technology can also be helpful in power cut situations - making it easier to identify outages and get them sorted.

Can I switch suppliers?

Yes. If you have a smart meter, you can switch energy supplier and tariff in exactly the same way that anyone with a traditional meter can."
Old 10-05-2024, 15:09   #230
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Just popped in to Tesco on way home from work to get a free Caramel Custard Donut from Greggs courtesy of OctoPlus, I could get used to these freebies now I have a Greggs in my Tesco Extra I always shop at!

Getting smart meters and going on the Tracker Tariff is probably one of the financially best things I've done.
Old 10-05-2024, 18:10   #231
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Just popped in to Tesco on way home from work to get a free Caramel Custard Donut from Greggs courtesy of OctoPlus, I could get used to these freebies now I have a Greggs in my Tesco Extra I always shop at!

Getting smart meters and going on the Tracker Tariff is probably one of the financially best things I've done.
I am going to take the two tickets for £10:00 offer to go and watch Dune 2 next week. I also use the Greggs offer

My latest calculations indicate that if i move to Agile i will save £307.00 year. For context we use a lot of electric for various reason one of which is my EV. However the EV is saving me £130 a month over the diesel car i was using for work. We have a very efficient boiler which uses very little gas. So it does look like i will be moving to Agile.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 10-05-2024 at 18:18.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:09   #232
Taf
cf.mega poster

Peak Charging? The rich won't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wZn9FFWIig