Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 18-03-2022, 17:17   #1006
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
How do they know it’s not the account holder using his Netflix at a friends house ?
If I knew how to work that out I’d have patented it and licenced it to them

I suspect they’ve come up with something that combines a lot of different data points like geolocation, IP address, ISP, long-term user habits and so on. They will probably also tighten their T&Cs and make it harder to use more individual devices than the total number of logins allowed on the account. Apple has something like that for authorising/deauthorising DRM’d iTunes content.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2022, 18:49   #1007
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
How do they know it’s not the account holder using his Netflix at a friends house ?
Because two or three people using it at the same time, from different IP addresses?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 20:01   #1008
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

In an ideal world they’d all be Bluetooth enabled to the extent that a primary device (a phone) has to be present at all locations that aren’t the primary IP (which would be the “home”).

Perhaps a “reasonable use” for connections that don’t meet either criteria would fit the bill. Problematic, because the only reason anyone thinks Netflix is good value is the fact it’s shared.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 21:02   #1009
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because two or three people using it at the same time, from different IP addresses?
That’s pretty easy to do legit though isn’t it , parents watching at home , one child at friends one using on a commute.

The Premim tier includes 4 screens at a time.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 21:32   #1010
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
That’s pretty easy to do legit though isn’t it , parents watching at home , one child at friends one using on a commute.

The Premim tier includes 4 screens at a time.
That’s what we do - I pay for it, son and daughter in their respective residences have separate profiles; hopefully this will still be allowed.

Depends how they define "household"…
Old 18-03-2022, 21:40   #1011
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
that alone is not enough to assume it is more than one household but I guess they would be able to see easily who leases the particular IP. You could have a house full on different IP addresses if everyone is using mobile data
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 08:50   #1012
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

The OED defines 'household' as 'a house and its occupants'. It sounds to me like a lot of lawyers are going to make a lot of money before this is resolved.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 22:50   #1013
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Netflix tests charges for sharing passwords between households

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-charges-trial
Noticed it now says this on the UK site not sure if it’s always said it or not.

Quote:
Only people who live with you may use your account. Watch on 4 different devices at the same time with Premium, 2 with Standard and 1 with Basic.
Old 20-03-2022, 22:30   #1014
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
That’s what we do - I pay for it, son and daughter in their respective residences have separate profiles; hopefully this will still be allowed.

I'd seriously doubt that your set up would be allowed - I'm sure you realise you are not a household. You could possibly argue if it was a family but it isn't.

The obvious way to prevent it is to only allow 1 device to be logged in at a time.

In the end, people who have been sharing logins/passwords have got away with bending the rules for a long time - you cannot really moan if the loophole is being closed.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 23:04   #1015
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

No moans given or intended - I’m using what’s allowed at this time.

If it changes, I will review my options…

If you look at Netflix T&C’s, I can’t see anything about "household".

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/412...lar-categories
Quote:
Plans and Pricing

Each Netflix plan determines the number of devices you can watch Netflix on at the same time and if you prefer to view in Standard Definition (SD), High Definition (HD), or Ultra High Definition (UHD).

Compare our plans and pricing to decide which one is right for you. You can easily change your plan or cancel online at any time.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/24926
Quote:
Number of screens you can watch on at the same time
For Premium it states 4, but nothing about "household".

In the Netflix Terms of Service, there is this
Quote:
4.2. The Netflix service and any content accessed through the service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household
https://help.netflix.com/en/legal/termsofuse

Then there is this
Quote:
What is a Netflix household?

A Netflix account is for people who live together in a single household. This single household is the Netflix household and is associated with the primary account owner’s devices and the devices used by other people who live in the Netflix household.

When a device outside of the Netflix household signs in to an account, we may ask the primary account owner to verify that device before it can be used to watch Netflix. We do this to confirm that the device using the account is authorized to do so. This helps our members enjoy Netflix while they're traveling or visiting friends or family, and when using devices for the first time.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/124925

Last edited by Hugh; 20-03-2022 at 23:14.
Old 20-03-2022, 23:16   #1016
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

If the Loophole closes I use I will just use usenet like I do with everything else. TBH everything new on NF I really want to watch is downloaded by Sonarr and Radarr anyway or I would just forget to watch it
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 07:59   #1017
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
If the Loophole closes I use I will just use usenet like I do with everything else. TBH everything new on NF I really want to watch is downloaded by Sonarr and Radarr anyway or I would just forget to watch it
I think they price illegal downloading into their plans when they make these sorts of decisions. The methods are out there but ultimately I think too few people are sufficiently motivated. The vast majority of people will either stump up the cash or simply not bother. And in most cases I think it’ll be the cash - Netflix has been extremely good at commissioning talked-about shows across multiple genres, like Bridgerton, The Crown, Stranger Things and Tiger King. I hear it talked about by BBC radio presenters most days of the week. That sort of think makes it a must-have.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 12:32   #1018
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

I'll post this here as it does involved UKTVplay too. - credit to cordbusters

“W” will launch on March 28, and will be available on Freeview Channel 25, and Freesat Channel 156.

“W” will also be available to stream directly via UKTV’s streaming app, UKTV Play, which is available on most streaming devices sold in the UK (including Roku and Amazon Fire TV), as well as on Freeview Play devices such as the Manhattan T3-R.

The free-to-air versions of “W” will only be available in SD, unfortunately, with the HD versions of “W” remaining as premium channels on Sky and Virgin Media TV.

There’s good news on the accessibility front, however, with 100% of “W’s” programming via Freeview and UKTV Play including subtitles/close captioning.
Old 21-03-2022, 12:39   #1019
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Sky offers 3 months free Apple TV+

Sky is offering its Sky Q and Sky Glass customers three months free access to the Apple TV+ streaming service.

In a message to customers, Sky said: “For Sky VIPs, the VIP treatment never stops. That’s why you can now get a three-month free trial of Apple TV+ […] That’s Sky TV and huge Apple Originals side by side, all in one place, for Sky Q and Sky Glass customers. After that, it’s just £4.99/€4.99 a month unless cancelled.”

https://advanced-television.com/2022...free-apple-tv/

Virgin Media O2 top bundles now include Netflix

Virgin Media O2 has refreshed its top packages, the Ultimate Volt bundle and the Biggest TV bundle, to include a Netflix Standard Plan.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...clude-netflix/
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 16:54   #1020
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Just noticed Now TV seems to have changed it’s terms and conditions upon logging into my account , it now also specifically mentions a household.