Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rollout of the HUB5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Rollout of the HUB5

Old 26-09-2022, 21:12   #16
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rollout of the HUB5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psul View Post
I've ordered and had it confirmed by text and email.
It's also showing on my account under my orders.
How long was it before it appeared in your orders on the account? I have one pod that was used once and put back into the box as it's no good I hope this doesn't stop me from getting this.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2022, 22:13   #17
psul
cf.member

psul is on a distinguished roadpsul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
How long was it before it appeared in your orders on the account? I have one pod that was used once and put back into the box as it's no good I hope this doesn't stop me from getting this.
It was there the following day.
psul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 04:11   #18
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Applied for the HUB 5, I got the confirmation email, but a few days later I got this email...
Quote:
Hello,

We know you’re expecting a Hub 5, but we’re sorry to say that some of your account features won’t work with this Hub quite yet. This could be because you’ve just upgraded to Hub 4, you’ve got WiFi Pods or your order needs to be installed by a technician instead of installing it yourself with QuickStart.

Unfortunately, that means we’ve had to cancel the order. We’re really sorry about that. You don’t need to do anything, just carry on using your current Hub as usual.

We’ll be making Hub 5 more widely available in 2022 - and don’t worry, we’ll let you know as soon as it’s compatible with your account.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team
I've had the HUB 4 since upgrading to the 1Gig about 3+ years ago (which I installed myself from the HUB 3) I've never had any WiFi Pods and don't have any other service just broadband.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 10:32   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It'll be because you've got a Hub 4 - currently those with a Hub 4 don't qualify for the Hub 5 upgrade option.
Old 27-09-2022, 13:19   #20
MPH
cf.member

Services: VM Up to 100Mb broadband
MPH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BenMcr, that's the first time I have a straightforward answer as to why I can't have a Hub 5 so thank you for that.
I still find it frustrating those on the top tier don't have access to the
latest Hub & ironically are effectively being penalised as an early adopter.
(On Gig1 with a Hub 4 trying to get a Hub 5 so I can use the 2.5GB port)

Any idea when this might change?

Thanks
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 13:26   #21
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

No news yet, but I wouldn't expect it to be very soon.

Although I appreciate the point about home networking capability, swapping a Hub 4 for Hub 5 is the least overall effective change Virgin Media can currently make with hardware swaps.

Offering the Hub 5 to customers without D3.1 capable kit, in the same way as was being done with the Hub 4 recently can potentially improve the network performance for everyone, as each new version of DOCSIS is more efficient than the previous version.

So it's better use of available hardware resources and network capacity expenditure.
Old 27-09-2022, 13:28   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It'll be because you've got a Hub 4 - currently those with a Hub 4 don't qualify for the Hub 5 upgrade option.
What about people with a Hub3?
Old 27-09-2022, 13:30   #23
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What about people with a Hub3?
They are being offered swaps to D3.1 capable kit where it can help with network capacity. That was a Hub 4 up till recently and is now a Hub 5.

But it's not blanket swap if it's not needed.
Old 27-09-2022, 13:58   #24
MPH
cf.member

Services: VM Up to 100Mb broadband
MPH is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BenMcr, bad news for me & others waiting for the Hub 5 but does make total sense from a broader/technical perspective. With public testing of 2.2Gig I do also wonder how long before VM & other ISP's will add a 10GbE port on a Hub 6 or whatever. SFP+ port would be good but lets not get carried away
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 15:21   #25
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

I too got the rejection email.

It would be nice to get the Hub 5. Not being able to get the full speed in modem mode with the Hub 4 is frustrating.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 19:58   #26
psul
cf.member

psul is on a distinguished roadpsul is on a distinguished road

I've got the hub 4 and my order hasn't been cancelled (yet)
psul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 20:49   #27
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

Well I have an Hub 4 and applied got no email confirming it also no order showing on my account and no rejection email. fingers crossed I fall through the net and get a decent hub. the hub 4 seems to have the wrong PSU with it to be honest. it is very loose. its not the connector on it self just it doesn't fit correctly.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 21:39   #28
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I assume this won't renew my contract?

Edit

I went ahead and put my order in to upgrade from a Hub3 as it maybe my only chance of getting one, hope I don't regret it.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 27-09-2022 at 22:12.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 22:00   #29
Rabb
cf.member

Services: VIP Package
Rabb is an unknown quantity at this point

been a long time since got 1gb line, would be really good to get the top speed, since paying same bill as everyone else that get it. is there a set date/year for this Ben ?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 14:49   #30
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I assume this won't renew my contract?

Edit

I went ahead and put my order in to upgrade from a Hub3 as it maybe my only chance of getting one, hope I don't regret it.
I have took a chance too. The WIFI 6 should make a difference in VR with the Meta Quest able to take advantage of it.