Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 12-09-2022, 00:50   #1906
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Some absolutely shocking posts about the passing of the Queen on social media.

James Whale was furious on Talk TV last night, he said how would they feel if such things were being said about their grandmother, mother etc who had just died. He ended by saying "This isn't free speech, it's hate speech".
Best to just ignore it
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2022, 09:21   #1907
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I have left certain online spaces because of the vitriol expressed.I don't need it in my life.I certainly won't be interacting with them.
Old 12-09-2022, 14:09   #1908
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Vitriol- yes, that's a good way to describe it.

I know people right across the political spectrum from extreme left to extreme right with everything else inbetween.Some of them are anti monachist, which they have every right to be if they so wish in a democracy. I'm pleased to see that none of them have posted anything unpleasant the passing of the Queen.

I think that they must be following the age old advice of 'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all' and that they must recognise that others have a different view and are upset by the news of Her Majesty leaving this Earth.

A few have made it clear that they are not royalists, but did pay their respects to the Queen as an individual for her hard work & dedication to duty.

I don't like to use the word 'died' as I share the view of the late Queen when she said "We are here to observe, to learn, to grow and to love. And then we go home".

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-09-2022 at 14:14. Reason: Spelling Fac JCO
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 10:20   #1909
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Inquest opens into suicide by teen after being exposed to harmful online content:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...eenagers-death
Old 21-09-2022, 10:51   #1910
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Taken from that. From the Guardian... (the link above doesn't work)

( https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eenagers-death )

"Meta has uncovered 12,576 pieces of Instagram content seen by Molly in the six months before her death, while she had more than 15,000 engagements on Pinterest, including 3,000 saves, in the last six months of her life. During this period Molly was engaging with Instagram posts about 130 times a day on average. This included 3,500 shares during that timeframe, as well as 11,000 likes and 5,000 saves."

It's staggering the amount of time children spend on their phones or computers these days. It's a culture that seems to be the norm but is it or should it be acceptable? Sign of the times? Sad is what I call it.

I'm sure they can do more to change the algorithms, so if you do search or click on something and if it is flagged as 'harmful' then you don't get bombarded with similar information. That seems doable. But if you go in search of something purposefully then there's nothing anyone can do about it. There has to be some self-accountability / responsibility.

Last edited by peanut; 21-09-2022 at 11:23.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 11:48   #1911
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Taken from that. From the Guardian... (the link above doesn't work)

( https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...eenagers-death )

"Meta has uncovered 12,576 pieces of Instagram content seen by Molly in the six months before her death, while she had more than 15,000 engagements on Pinterest, including 3,000 saves, in the last six months of her life. During this period Molly was engaging with Instagram posts about 130 times a day on average. This included 3,500 shares during that timeframe, as well as 11,000 likes and 5,000 saves."

It's staggering the amount of time children spend on their phones or computers these days. It's a culture that seems to be the norm but is it or should it be acceptable? Sign of the times? Sad is what I call it.

I'm sure they can do more to change the algorithms, so if you do search or click on something and if it is flagged as 'harmful' then you don't get bombarded with similar information. That seems doable. But if you go in search of something purposefully then there's nothing anyone can do about it. There has to be some self-accountability / responsibility.

Is it sad or is it modern? Is it any different to reading a book? I say this in examples that I've had against me. For instance, I get told to get off my phone when I'm sunbathing around the pool on holiday, yet lots of people are sat there reading. Yet on my phone I can do multiple things, shop, read, play, listen and watch.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 13:11   #1912
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Is it sad or is it modern? Is it any different to reading a book? I say this in examples that I've had against me. For instance, I get told to get off my phone when I'm sunbathing around the pool on holiday, yet lots of people are sat there reading. Yet on my phone I can do multiple things, shop, read, play, listen and watch.
Phone do have their use, but when you see kids totally glued to them it is sad. The sense of FOMO must be horrendous for them to live with.

I was in a restaurant a couple of weeks ago, the table next to us, I presumed it was a typical family. The father had a phone that was no more than 8 inches from his face the majority of the time, even when eating. It was also the same with the wife, the son and daughter, all 4 of them spent the entire of their time looking at their phones with hardly any interaction with each other. If that's what they are like during 'family' time-out I'd hate to think what it's like at home.
Old 23-09-2022, 08:50   #1913
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A spokesperson for Meta will today give evidence under oath to the inquest, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about what they feel they do (or intend to do) to protect vulnerable people such as children, those with mental illnesses/disabilities etc.
Old 23-09-2022, 16:19   #1914
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

This report outlines how plans by Meta to introduce end to end encryption for Facebook Messenger will help those who wish to abuse children:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/british-h...ildren-jailed/

For balance, Meta also said

We're focused on preventing harm by banning suspicious profiles, defaulting under-18s to private or 'friends only' accounts, and more recently introduced restrictions that stop adults from messaging children they're not connected with.

"We're also encouraging people to report harmful messages to us so we can see the contents, respond swiftly and make referrals to the authorities. As we roll out this technology we're taking our time to get it right and working with outside experts to help keep people safe online."

The new Culture Secretary has said that there are no plans to water down the Online Safety Bill introduced by the Johnson Government.
Old 23-09-2022, 21:39   #1915
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
This report outlines how plans by Meta to introduce end to end encryption for Facebook Messenger will help those who wish to abuse children
Good grief

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2022, 23:09   #1916
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Good grief
Quote:
..the NSPCC warning plans by Meta, which owns Facebook, to introduce end-to-end encryption will "blindfold" authorities to similar predators.
Old 24-09-2022, 20:41   #1917
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Good, no one should be spying on my conversations, or yours, or anyone elses.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 20:22   #1918
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
A spokesperson for Meta will today give evidence under oath to the inquest, it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about what they feel they do (or intend to do) to protect vulnerable people such as children, those with mental illnesses/disabilities etc.
Molly Russell verdict:

It's been found that social media was found to have played a role in a child’s death. This is the first such ruling at an inquest.

https://inews.co.uk/news/molly-russe...nquest-1887111

It was heartbreaking hearing her father on the news. I cannot imagine how it must feel to lose a child to suicide at only 14vyeats of age.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 30-09-2022 at 20:27. Reason: Completed after upset. Fac RCO.
Old 30-09-2022, 20:39   #1919
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Good, no one should be spying on my conversations, or yours, or anyone elses.
Yes, and no-one must snoop on my snail-mails either. It’s like giving the authorities carte Blanche to read your letters before being allowed to see them. It’s the slippery slope to 1984.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:57   #1920
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Molly Russell verdict:

It's been found that social media was found to have played a role in a child’s death. This is the first such ruling at an inquest.

https://inews.co.uk/news/molly-russe...nquest-1887111

It was heartbreaking hearing her father on the news. I cannot imagine how it must feel to lose a child to suicide at only 14vyeats of age.
Prince William has entered the debate about the responsibilities of websites to take online safety seriously.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ributed-death/

After the Online Safety Bill became 'stuck' in Parliament after Johnson was ousted , it was stated today that it should progress through Parliament by the end of the year.

If the predictions about Truss come to fruition, I can see it being delayed again..