Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Old 20-05-2013, 14:34   #151
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole_Dancer View Post
If you read my posts then you would see that I contracted for MJ Quinns after I left BT!!!!
You don't know what you're talking about! If you're working in the sticks (rural area) then the main DP could be miles from the EU, fed via aerial cable by carrier poles and not always straight outside the outside EU property! So you must be a either a MJ Quinns employee, Quinns manager or a Quinns performance improver!?! Well it's sound like you're up their ass?

Take it from any real person who has or is contracting for MJ Quinns, they're a bunch of thieving C*%TS!!!!!

:t d:
Totally agree. In the home counties you can have over a mile from the DP. Try Norfolk or Suffolk where I was loaned out once and it's even worse. DACS, WB900, lead cable? Apparently these were all removed years ago but I know there are examples of these still in service!!! Line concentrators?? Probably aswell... Ever tried to look for a pillar in the countryside (a PCP but is a small post surrounded by overgrown shrubs), an SCP (a second cab basically). Maybe these jobs would be left to the professionals ...
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2013, 20:38   #152
stevetoonfan
Inactive

stevetoonfan is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm no KISS ARSE or anything else you mentioned i'm a contractor just like you but i'm not scared of a bit hard work, believe me its better than the dole que, and theres a lot worse contracts out there.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole_Dancer View Post
If you read my posts then you would see that I contracted for MJ Quinns after I left BT!!!!
You don't know what you're talking about! If you're working in the sticks (rural area) then the main DP could be miles from the EU, fed via aerial cable by carrier poles and not always straight outside the outside EU property! So you must be a either a MJ Quinns employee, Quinns manager or a Quinns performance improver!?! Well it's sound like you're up their ass?

Take it from any real person who has or is contracting for MJ Quinns, they're a bunch of thieving C*%TS!!!!!

:t d:
Also you say you left BT before contracting, If BT is so good! why do so many leave to start contracting?????????.
stevetoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 13:08   #153
Paulieboy
Inactive

Paulieboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently working for MJ Quinns and it is a joke.
When on training course in March we were all assured by the HR Manager Jamie that we were picked because engineers were needed in our local areas.
I was also assured that I would be able to drop and pick up my son from childcare every day (7:30am and 6:30pm).
When we arrived at our induction in Liverpool four of the lads from Middlesbrough were given West Yorkshire as their patch!!!! Diesel alone uses up any wages made and bear in mind it's 2 weeks in hand!
Myself, I was buddied up for 5 weeks as someone smashed into my van. I then got the van back and was expected to travel 2 hours to my 1st job and be on site by 8am. I was given one morning appointment and 5 afternoon appointments. How can you do this and get back for childcare? Totally annoyed as I don't like being lied to. Why waste my time?
Also, never got paid out of area allowance. Watch them, they're a dodgy company.
After the van incident they've changed the policy so that YOU are liable for the 1st £1,000 excess. Park safely lads!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Wish I'd read your posts....experienced it all and now told them to stick it. Have now told engineers that they're liable for 1st £1,000 excess on any van damage after mine was smashed into whilst on the job!!!
Paulieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 19:37   #154
stevetoonfan
Inactive

stevetoonfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulieboy View Post
I am currently working for MJ Quinns and it is a joke.
When on training course in March we were all assured by the HR Manager Jamie that we were picked because engineers were needed in our local areas.
I was also assured that I would be able to drop and pick up my son from childcare every day (7:30am and 6:30pm).
When we arrived at our induction in Liverpool four of the lads from Middlesbrough were given West Yorkshire as their patch!!!! Diesel alone uses up any wages made and bear in mind it's 2 weeks in hand!
Myself, I was buddied up for 5 weeks as someone smashed into my van. I then got the van back and was expected to travel 2 hours to my 1st job and be on site by 8am. I was given one morning appointment and 5 afternoon appointments. How can you do this and get back for childcare? Totally annoyed as I don't like being lied to. Why waste my time?
Also, never got paid out of area allowance. Watch them, they're a dodgy company.
After the van incident they've changed the policy so that YOU are liable for the 1st £1,000 excess. Park safely lads!!!!

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Wish I'd read your posts....experienced it all and now told them to stick it. Have now told engineers that they're liable for 1st £1,000 excess on any van damage after mine was smashed into whilst on the job!!!
I started last year and i was made aware of this from day one, but just like on any insurance policy there is an excess charge weather it be £50 or £5000 if its your fault you pay, if it is someone else's fault you go straight to their insurer then you don't need to pay an excess. also i understand people getting ****ed off if they were lied to but all i can say is i must be one of the lucky ones as ive never had any problems up to now, touch wood.
stevetoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 23:52   #155
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point

Loads left BT because they had a nice voluntary redundancy payout. Like me They thought the grass was greener on the other side, which it isn't, it's brown and almost dead
When I had my basic training at BT in the nineties we had two weeks residential overhead training, two weeks resi fault finding and two weeks resi ug training. Then we were buddied upto 6 months. Even then the 'oldies' were saying it wasn't enough and didn't trust you. The job ain't changed that much since then, maybe shrink joints have pretty much vanished but that's about it with the exception of BB but we had ISDN and Home Highway circuits to deal with. On a seven hour shift you only had to complete 3 jobs. Jobs were completed properly. You have only to see what happened to the NTL/Virgin network when contract staff took over. We weren't even allowed to set foot into an exchange or touch a bar pair!!
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 08:23   #156
Paulieboy
Inactive

Paulieboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetoonfan View Post
I started last year and i was made aware of this from day one, but just like on any insurance policy there is an excess charge weather it be £50 or £5000 if its your fault you pay, if it is someone else's fault you go straight to their insurer then you don't need to pay an excess. also i understand people getting ****ed off if they were lied to but all i can say is i must be one of the lucky ones as ive never had any problems up to now, touch wood.
No mate, they've just changed it......if they can't get the third party responsible for the damage then YOU have to pay the £1,000 excess.....your letter from them changing the conditions should drop through your letterbox any day now, mine has. SO, now you could be on an install and through no fault of your own have to pay £1000.
The damage to my van was done whilst I was inside a house and the 1st thing my manager asked was if I was on double yellow lines. Trying to stitch me up straight away.
Paulieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 23:11   #157
anoop johal
Inactive

anoop johal is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys im new here and dying to work for mj qiunns can anyone help me??? Iv filled and sent in all forms in april and i keep calling every few weeks and ask about a job but im starting to feel im getting fobbed off. Can anyone tell me when the last training session was? i live in birmingham but willing to travel to coventry and other areas close to brum, mj quinns said they have accepted me but i feel like i dont have the job. Help or advice anyone???
anoop johal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 02:20   #158
Ukjay
Inactive

Ukjay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I would like to share a few things about Quinns.
I started with Quinns 02/13, they said that you normaly get 5 jobs so I thought that it was good, get paid for 5 jobs a day,but they never mentioned that they can disapear overnight, they run a line test during the night and if the test has Ok for the results they take it off you, it happens almost every night!
They never mentioned anything about Npu's, I had to find out the hard way, Npu is a partial complete( if you can't bring dial tone to customer), in some jobs if it is all already there, Dropwire, nte, etc... It takes you from 30min to 1hr to find out that it is an Npu and you only get £10( believe me, it happen quite often), now lets say that you had to do a Full lead in(new dropwire from pole which can take up to 2 hrs depending on the location, plus the time to look for a pair from the Dp that you can use if your dial tone isnt there another 30mins) so 2hrs 30min for £10, great, and you have paid for your own fuel. So in my point of view you have completed your job, not your fault that is disconnected between dp and pcp(cab), but they dont care. If your Eside(Dial tone in cab) isnt there and you cant get any support, £10. Area manager is useless, dont evenknow him, never answer any phone calls, Mj quinn control never answer the phone as well, you can leave voicemail and they phone you back only if it is something that realy interest to them, if you try to talk to payroll than you better sit down and wait. You have to pay for fuel and the way they giving jobs to me is ridiculous, all over the place, 10 to 15 miles from each job and most of them country side( most likely to get problems), had much more bad experience with them since last february than I had in my entire life, they dont give a crap about you, Im still working with them just because I have family to look after, but will leave at the first opportunity! Im very disappointed. If anyone has any question please let me know, I'm more than happy to repply.
Ukjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:55   #159
anoop johal
Inactive

I'm trying to get in to MJ Quinns but recruitment is on hold I was told £750 per week gross 6 jobs a day. I have a family too. A son 16 months old. U gotta stay positive and cool u need to try talking to someone about ur issues there's ALOT worse out there and not much to choose from trust me I know sent hundreds of cv and all I get is agency dead end jobs. So trust me hand in there and think positive
Old 02-07-2013, 00:08   #160
Ukjay
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop johal View Post
I'm trying to get in to MJ Quinns but recruitment is on hold I was told £750 per week gross 6 jobs a day. I have a family too. A son 16 months old. U gotta stay positive and cool u need to try talking to someone about ur issues there's ALOT worse out there and not much to choose from trust me I know sent hundreds of cv and all I get is agency dead end jobs. So trust me hand in there and think positive
Hi, I guess you talking about managing install which is completely diffrent than copper provision.
On copper provision ,the max you will get per week will be £600 gross, than you think, thats not too bad, but it will be a lot of hours, plus fuel etc.. whoever told you that is 6 jobs a day is out of reality, average is 20 jobs a week, you sometimes might get 6 jobs, but complete them is another story, something always happen, when you return a Npu £10 I'm sure everyone end up getting paid apart from you that actually did the job. Like today, I Had 5 jobs, only completed 3 the other 2 one was a no access(customer not at home, £0) and the other was a no access to DP£0, trust me, it happens daily.if i was doing 6 a day in 8 hrs job I would never complain about the job, hope you get the job so you see yourself. You might do 6 a day easy on managing install, fiber broadband, guess they pay £25 per job, but they dont have much work on this cause it is very easy and Openreach give more of this to their Paye.
Old 02-07-2013, 21:52   #161
anoop johal
Inactive

I have a few mates that work for BT direct and said its an easy job and my em times better then working for virgin media. I start training on the15thvof this month in Liverpool so maybe u should try to move to installs. So if I get an nbi can't I just ask for another job to make up for it? When I was working for map group they used to force us another job even if we didnt have the time.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Plus being self employed is good right? It has urs benfits? First time for me. I thinks it's good cuz u can claim money back and get a big rebate every year.
Old 02-07-2013, 22:47   #162
Ukjay
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop johal View Post
I have a few mates that work for BT direct and said its an easy job and my em times better then working for virgin media. I start training on the15thvof this month in Liverpool so maybe u should try to move to installs. So if I get an nbi can't I just ask for another job to make up for it? When I was working for map group they used to force us another job even if we didnt have the time.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Plus being self employed is good right? It has urs benfits? First time for me. I thinks it's good cuz u can claim money back and get a big rebate every year.
Your mates are right, job is easy but some takes over 2 hrs, Im on copper provision, I like the job, it is just the way Quinns want you to do it, I use to always ask for more work but they never have it and if they do, the locations are crazy, I was in Newbury once, lost a few jobs, asked for more and they asked me to go to Bath!Im not sure if Quinns does any managing install.you do get nice days with nice jobs but you get **** ones more often, today I had 5 and completed 4, lost one cancelled by customer, so 7 so far this week, tried to phone them for more but it is waste of time, they never answer the phone! So far I've been involved in 3 different patch, 3 different openreach coach and only one is good and helpful, the other 2 are bad, they hardly help you.
My experience with Quinns is that you are just a spare number on their list, I've been contracting for over 2years now and I can tell you that Quinns so far is the worst, when you do your training, induction etc. I bet they wont mention about jobs disappearing from your tablet overnight and Npu's ( this one is a Joke) , even an Openreach coach said to me that £10 is Pathetic, and that Quinns definitely get paid for it. Good luck and hope your experience with Quinns be the best.
Old 16-07-2013, 17:55   #163
spannerinthework
Inactive

spannerinthework is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm off to liverpool in a few weeks time training on a five day course with mj quinns i've asked a few engineers but no one will give me a straight answer, all i want to know is what does the training consist of. I already have my C&G 3667 for structured cabling. Is it all health and saftey stuff????
spannerinthework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 20:46   #164
Simon84
Inactive

Simon84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mj Quinns are trying to recruit a load of ex MOD like openreach did last year
Simon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 20:05   #165
billandted
Inactive

billandted is an unknown quantity at this point

I've read the entire thread on this company, and though I am incredibly worried about what might lerk in the near future with expenses of fuel, traveling long distances, van, tools ect. what am I to do? I have no job and I have been without a job for over three month now, and feel disheartened by that fact. What should I do? work for this company and have the likeihood of me staying their for a few months and then probably ranting about this company after? or be miserable, and still be collecting that stupid dull money.
billandted is offline   Reply With Quote