Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:33   #1156
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Just been listening to this programme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct2kyf

It seems that some sites are having difficulty reconciling the right to free speech with the rights of people to be protected from harmful content.

This looks to me to be due to AI not getting things right. When the new laws come into effect, it's not going to be possible to manually oversee & moderate every post with the millions that are made every day. I think that improving the AI used to do this, with the right of appeal to a properly trained moderator should one disagree would improve this to a great extent.

What seems to have been happening is that posts are being automatically deleted by AI with posters sometimes facing negative sanctions, even when it's been deemed to have simply been viewed as a possible problematic subject.

This programme takes an interesting look at both sides of the argument:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct1nj0

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 02-01-2022 at 11:38.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2022, 18:54   #1157
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

This has been done to death imo.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 19:28   #1158
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I think this will prove to be unworkable.
Old 02-01-2022, 20:31   #1159
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

The crux of the matter is who the hell thinks they should make the decision on what i can and cannot see on the internet as a 61 year old adult. Is this the fabled group who are offended on my behalf because i do not seem to be offended by what they think i should be offended about ?

It is getting more like this everyday

BTW it seems i have to make the following statement as "there is swearing in the video". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4HEEiJuGo

To be honest it makes my point that the offended are running the world

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 02-01-2022 at 20:45.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 20:44   #1160
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I love that film

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 20:50   #1161
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I love that film
And me i just worry we are heading that way.

Old 02-01-2022, 23:06   #1162
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
And me i just worry we are heading that way.
nah, nowhere near it . . . although if you drop a sweetie wrapper in the street it gets you a fine, whereas a professional footballer spitting and snotting on the pitch on live TV pays you at least £100k a week
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 23:37   #1163
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
The crux of the matter is who the hell thinks they should make the decision on what i can and cannot see on the internet as a 61 year old adult. Is this the fabled group who are offended on my behalf because i do not seem to be offended by what they think i should be offended about ?

It is getting more like this everyday

BTW it seems i have to make the following statement as "there is swearing in the video". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4HEEiJuGo

To be honest it makes my point that the offended are running the world
These new laws aim to protect the vulnerable, including children, from harmful content.
Old 02-01-2022, 23:40   #1164
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
These new laws aim to protect the vulnerable, including children, from harmful content.
Isn't that what an 18 category used to do?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 00:15   #1165
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Isn't that what an 18 category used to do?
Do you think that children should be excluded from the internet until they are 18? If so, they will often find ways to gain access. What about those over 18 who are vulnerable?

I do hope that this is a success as, if it isn't, I fear that the days of people being able to interact freely could be numbered.

Many people have proved themselves incapable or unwilling to self regulate, either forgetting or relishing the fact that there is a person at the other end of a keyboard. Attempts to make site owners behave more responsibly and protect the vulnerable have failed miserably.

If this fails, for whatever reason, the next step could be to ban anonymous postings or even ban the ability to interact freely without pre moderation of all posts.

It sounds drastic, but we cannot continue with a situation where people are being harassed, insulted, bullied etc, sometimes to the point of suicide.

It's also important to keep in mind that the vast majority won't be impacted by this. They will continue to post in a polite, respectful and friendly manner when interacting with others.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 03-01-2022 at 00:58. Reason: Spelling.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:46   #1166
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

Should there be different content for adults of course there should and don't start talking about limiting children on the internet as you talk about limiting what you don't like. It's clear you've had a very bad experience in the past Richard that your unable to truly move on from but supporting legislative overreach to in your mind guarantee it won't happen again is not the way to go. If this goes through how will you educate or inform people with negative views on disability if they can't express themselves and in doing so show they need education?.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:42   #1167
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

So Richard where do you stand on sex education?
Old 03-01-2022, 11:02   #1168
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, Richard, but if the laws go too far, the implications are unacceptable. There is a difference between behaviour that is designed to cause hurt, anxiety and suffering, and normal behaviour, which is to challenge the opinions expressed by others.

The 'right to be offended' brigade take exception to referring to non-white people as 'coloured' but are happy for them to be referred to as 'people of colour'. What kind of idiotic nonsense is this?

People who deliberately cause offence to others in a malicious way need to be dealt with, but we don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater, do we?

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

Quote:

I do hope that this is a success as, if it isn't, I fear that the days of people being able to interact freely could be numbered.
I am afraid that this is probably the likely outcome of this proposed legislation. The law of unintended consequences.
Old 03-01-2022, 14:59   #1169
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Do you think that children should be excluded from the internet until they are 18?
That would be incredibly stupid, and impossible to do.
Also, what is so special about 18 ? Does something magic happen on the day people turn 18 ?

Quote:
Um, thats exactly what such rules would achieve, by design they would block 'free interaction'.

Quote:
Attempts to make site owners behave more responsibly and protect the vulnerable have failed miserably.
Site owners are not responsible for what people post.
If you get hate mail its not the fault of the postman that delivered it.

Quote:
If this fails, for whatever reason, the next step could be to ban anonymous postings or even ban the ability to interact freely without pre moderation of all posts.
You have totally lost the plot now.

Quote:
It's also important to keep in mind that the vast majority won't be impacted
So this is a small minority issue then, so not really a problem at all, and certainly not in need of ridiculous actions.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 17:33   #1170
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Maybe we need a new forum section for people to post there personal agender threads in