Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54G Setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54G Setup

Old 02-05-2007, 22:03   #1
iainst26
Inactive

iainst26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54G Setup

1st time post guys be gentle

I have the above router but I seem to be having some speed issues with it.

Firstly, I am in VM Uddingston area and have just been upgraded to 20meg.

My cable comes into a scientific atlantic webstar modem. The modem is connected to the WRT54G via ethernet. My desktop is connected to the Router via ethernet and my laptop runs wirelessly from the same.

Desktop speeds show around 10meg
Wireless shows around 4meg

If I disconnect the router and plug either the Laptop or Desktop directly into the modem then I achieve my 20meg.

I guess what Im asking is if theres anything that can be done to the router to improve upon the speeds

P.s The router is labeled v2.2 but appears to be running 3.??

Thanks in advance guys

Iain
iainst26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2007, 15:08   #2
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Linksys WRT54G Setup

Couple of questions... is the wireless connection stable or do you notice it dropping fairly frequently? Also, is the 4Mb you're getting wireless a consistent speed? Lastly, how far away is the PC from the router when you're using the WLAN, and is there much in the way, i.e. do you live in a 17th century cottage with thick walls, or are you in a modern house or flat with walls made from modern materials (especially foil-backed plasterboard, etc...)?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 23:25   #3
iainst26
Inactive

iainst26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gareth, The wireless 4meg is pretty consistent no matter where I am in the house. The router is in an upstairs bedroom and 90% of the time the laptop is in the livingroom directly below.
The house is post war both external and internal walls are brick, if its anything to go by the house is crap for mobile phone signal also lol
iainst26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 15:40   #4
djnerve
Inactive

Services: Telewest - TV - 10mb bb - Phone
djnerve is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to djnerve

I have the same setup, and exactly the same problem! this is very annoying, im on 10mb still waiting for my upgrade. if i do an internet speedtest i got like 300kb 400kb but if i download a file i get abit more its odd.
djnerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 16:18   #5
orb505
Inactive

orb505 is on a distinguished roadorb505 is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar problem with my Netgear FVS318v3 on a 10meg connection.

With the router in place I get 5meg d/l speed but with the PC plugged straight into the SurfBoard modem I get the full 10meg. The LAN-WAN throughput of the router is spec'd at 12.5mb/s so I just don't know. Tested all the Cat5 too
orb505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 12:53   #6
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb505 View Post
I'm having a similar problem with my Netgear FVS318v3 on a 10meg connection.

With the router in place I get 5meg d/l speed but with the PC plugged straight into the SurfBoard modem I get the full 10meg. The LAN-WAN throughput of the router is spec'd at 12.5mb/s so I just don't know. Tested all the Cat5 too
the wan port on the router is only 10base so you wontget 10meg on it, proably around 7.8max
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 13:33   #7
EssDee
cf.addict

Services: VIP120 with TiVo
EssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really niceEssDee is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
the wan port on the router is only 10base so you wontget 10meg on it, proably around 7.8max
My WRT54G is 10/100 on the WAN side. From the user manual:

Ports Internet: One 10/100 RJ-45 Port
LAN: Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports
One Power Port

Unless the earlier versions were only 10M WAN?
EssDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 16:15   #8
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssDee View Post
My WRT54G is 10/100 on the WAN side. From the user manual:

Ports Internet: One 10/100 RJ-45 Port
LAN: Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports
One Power Port

Unless the earlier versions were only 10M WAN?
the link i found showed it as only 10, strange, maybe different versions about

but if it is 100 on the wanshould get more speed than what it is
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote