Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fibre/Fast Internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Fibre/Fast Internet

Old 11-07-2022, 14:45   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Fibre/fast internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
According to that, I should have it by April 2024.
Well, its coming here a lot sooner.
They are fitting the fibre to our poles at this very moment.
Went out and asked them when I'll be able to actually get it and they said in about 6 to 8 weeks.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2022, 17:02   #17
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

The option appeared for my address last week.

I have booked an upgrade of my Talk Talk BB for the end of August.
As its currently my "back up" connection, I'm only getting the 150 atm.

If this performs well over the next 7 months, I'll probably upgrade to the 900, and drop VM.
I already planned to move to a 4G backup connection (eventually 5G when thats available here).

Old 12-08-2022, 17:34   #18
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

The same has happened where I live.
Until now openreach services have had a guaranteed speed of 15mb download and from what neighbours tell me it is usually worse than that.
Now full fibre is here, I will have better leverage come contract end time, I might actually leave Virgin completely.
Still another year to go on contract so that way I can hear how the neighbours find it.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 19:34   #19
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorski View Post
Hi, newbie here.
Wasn't sure where to post this and being a virgin customer decided maybe this was the right sub?

So, virgin have held a monopoly in my area for as long as I've been here (about 13 years). I have nearly every year asked bt/open reach when they're going to upgrade their internet in my area as quite frankly it's pathetic (average is less than 10mb).

I'm at the stage now where I'm sick of virgin ripping me off and want to change to another provider, or at the very least have that option.
The trouble is, I don't know what to do or who to speak to. With the country apparently at over 90% fibre ready and me living in a well built up area I'm dumbfounded as to why we still don't have any competition to virgin in terms of speed.

So my question is, who do I speak to about actual time scales of getting faster internet in my area? Openreach have been less than useful each and every time.
The Welsh Assembly are due to roll out another round of funding for FTTP. To fiind out if you will be included go here.

https://gov.wales/broadband-in-wales
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 23:33   #20
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Well, its coming here a lot sooner.
They are fitting the fibre to our poles at this very moment.
Went out and asked them when I'll be able to actually get it and they said in about 6 to 8 weeks.
So it took about 5 weeks after you saw them doing that work?

A friend has been asking how long this takes as a company (not BT/Openreach) had installed fibre cabling to box's above all the doors to the flats where he lives a month ago and the guy doing it told him its for fibre broadband (he already has FTTC) and he will be able to order it through most ISP's. So I assume they are doing in on behalf of Openreach although it did have their company name on the box's which isn't an isp's name.

Checking the address for superfast broadband on Openreach it says he can't get it yet but it does say build program complete for the area.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 00:28   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post

A friend has been asking how long this takes as a company (not BT/Openreach) had installed fibre cabling to box's above all the doors to the flats where he lives a month ago and the guy doing it told him its for fibre broadband (he already has FTTC) and he will be able to order it through most ISP's. So I assume they are doing in on behalf of Openreach although it did have their company name on the box's which isn't an isp's name.

Checking the address for superfast broadband on Openreach it says he can't get it yet but it does say build program complete for the area.
What is the company name on the box, was it Openreach?
Old 13-08-2022, 01:03   #22
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
The Openreach site is useless, they told me its not available at my address, and there are no plans for my area atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
All the work round here was done by "Map Group UK".

Old 13-08-2022, 11:04   #23
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Yep.

The Openreach site is useless, they told me its not available at my address, and there are no plans for my area atm.

All the work round here was done by "Map Group UK".
Map Group UK are contractors for several AltNets as well as Openreach and VM, the full list is here.

https://www.mapgroupuk.com/clients/

I was really asking Qtx about his friends install.
Old 13-08-2022, 11:07   #24
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

There was me thinking their site would be spot on with its info

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

Quote:
Complete technology group, or something very similar. Not a name that stood out to me at all
Old 13-08-2022, 11:27   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
There was me thinking their site would be spot on with its info

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

Complete technology group, or something very similar. Not a name that stood out to me at all
I don't think Openreach use them but I could be wrong.

I would advise your friend checks if any AltNets are also in the area.
Old 13-08-2022, 13:09   #26
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
I don't think Openreach use them but I could be wrong.

I would advise your friend checks if any AltNets are also in the area.
Will do.

I know he checked out Hyperoptic as someone around the corner has it but it wasn't available for him. Maybe re-checking someone of them again over the next few weeks would be beneficial.