Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network printer not available to add now we're using a domain.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network printer not available to add now we're using a domain.

Old 05-04-2005, 15:35   #1
McGraw
Inactive

McGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about them
Network printer not available to add now we're using a domain.

Our workgroup is using a Brother HL-5170DN with a network card plugged into our router.

When we switch over to the domain, it no longer shows up as a printer to add.

What am I doing wrong?

We are using XP and Server 2003.

Cheers.
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2005, 15:43   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Network printer not available to add now we're using a domain.

Try going into Search (or Find) and looking for the printer that way.

Oh, hang on, read that wrong.

Have you checked that you have the correct permissions to manage the printer object as a shared resource?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 16:04   #3
McGraw
Inactive

McGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about themMcGraw has a spectacular aura about them

It isn't attached to the server, it is just plugged into the network like a pc.

So as far as I can tell, there is no way to assign permissions around it.

Can't understand it.
Old 05-04-2005, 16:32   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

How is it plugged in?

Router, switch, hub?

You should be able to find it by using the "Add New Printer" wizard..... Maybe.....

Sorry, forget that question. Just read the OP again.
Old 05-04-2005, 16:34   #5
McGraw
Inactive

It's straight into the router and is detected fine by pcs in the workgroup when using the wizard.

Add the same pc to the domain and it won't detect.

I know I'm missing something really obvious.
Old 05-04-2005, 16:34   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Can you connect directly to the printer (without going through the router)? If so, is there a control panel for the router that would allow you to change its network settings?

You may need to tell it that it is now part of a domain and rename it accordingly?

TBH, I've got no real experience of working with printers in this setup. Normally you just use the Add New Printer wizard, tell it that you're looking for a network printer and off it goes.
Old 05-04-2005, 16:39   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You probably have to set the printer card itself with a fixed IP, subnet etc that will be in the range of the new domain.

Once you have that setup then running a wizard on any PC will enable you to select the printer, but you may have to then find it using a fixed IP address.

edit: Using the add printer wizard in XP Pro, you set the printer as a local printer and then add a TCP/IP port.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 16:40   #8
McGraw
Inactive

I'm stumped.
Old 05-04-2005, 16:43   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Does the Brother printer have any menu options accessible from it that enables you to set an IP addy?
Old 05-04-2005, 16:46   #10
McGraw
Inactive

How do I do that then?

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2005, 16:54   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

OK, looking at the user manual for your printer:
http://www.brother.co.uk/display.cfm?id=102336
Page 2-20 talks about some software BRadmin Pro. Do you have that CD anywhere? If not you might be able to download from the brother site?
That will presumably allow you to connect to and set up the IP of the printer?
Old 05-04-2005, 16:58   #12
McGraw
Inactive

Cheers, will investigate.

That would make sense as the old HP laserjet we had needed a network programme running.

I know I must seem lazy but I don't just sort IT out in my company and I don't have time for loads of trial and error.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-2005, 17:04   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGraw
I know I must seem lazy but I don't just sort IT out in my company and I don't have time for loads of trial and error.
You sound like me - I'm supposed to be a surveyor, yet somehow I'm the IT guru. The number of sleepless nights I have getting things to work. Trial and error is how I've learn't enough to be capable of totally "fubaring" the whole office
Old 05-04-2005, 17:12   #14
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

In my experience, network printers are never visible directly to Windows. You have to install the driver that comes with the printer then, if the printer is not installed automatically, you add it as a *local* printer and then change the port it's attached to from LPT1 to some funny name that is the network bit of the driver.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 17:16   #15
McGraw
Inactive

I'm in recruitment and I'm the ops manager but I also run a desk and sort the IT out.

madness.