Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DLink DWA-140 (from VM) won't connect to WLAN

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

DLink DWA-140 (from VM) won't connect to WLAN

Old 21-06-2010, 23:44   #1
dogsiwoo
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, Sky+ w/ Multiroom Virgin XL Phone Virgin XXL BB
dogsiwoo is an unknown quantity at this point
DLink DWA-140 (from VM) won't connect to WLAN

Hey all,

Just reformatted my PC (XP SP3) and when I installed the latest Drivers for the DWA-140 the adapter was seen, tried to connect to my WLAN (w/ WPA2) and the signal fluctuates between 300mbps, 270mbps (this is what the norm was before the format) and 1...yes, 1mbps. Needless to say it doesn't connect and doesn't get an IP.

However I did notice occasionally that the "This device can perform faster..." bubble popped up - this at first was using the Chipset drivers from the Motherboard CD (Asus P5KPL) - but I have also updated to the latest version from the Asus website, with the same results.

Before the format, the adapter did every now and then lose the signal and sometimes disappear (as though it had been disabled) but it wasn't anything I couldn't live with. What I can't understand is why all of a sudden after a format it isn't acting as it should.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Karl

(I know it's USB, but it was free!)
dogsiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2010, 20:24   #2
KBHammer
Inactive

Services: VIP 50
KBHammer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DLink DWA-140 (from VM) won't connect to WLAN

I seem to recall a similar issues about a year ago. Did you install the drivers for the DWA-140 from the installation CD before plugging it in? That seemed to be the cause of my problems at the time.

In the end I solved it and had much more reliable performance by getting some Ralink drivers which were called "Ralink RT2870 Wirless LAN" or something similar. Have since upgraded to Windows 7 so don't have the actual drivers.
KBHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 21:15   #3
dogsiwoo
Inactive

I tried both installing without it plugged in (from the latest driver download using exe) and with it plugged in and then running the install.

I wiped the HDD and did a keyless install of 7, same problems - tried it in another XP-SP3 machine, same problems.

I've put my old trusty Linksys 54G PCI Card in and am formatting back to XP SP3 - I need my PC and the N performance difference across the LAN was negligible, and I can live without the faster speeds - any large downloads are done by wire anywho.

The DLink Router is also a shile of pite compared to my old WRT54GL, never had to reboot that beast and wireless range was tonnes better. And I have put DD-WRT on that and it has blown it wide open also.

EDIT: Back on XP with my old Linksys - same problem?!?

I am COMPLETELY lost now...

EDIT #2: Rebooted, reset BIOS, USB Wifi in - and it works...madness...
Old 23-06-2010, 21:01   #4
dogsiwoo
Inactive

Looks like I spoke too soon. The USB is now seen, but still drops out regularly with errors such as "One or more USB devices has malfunctioned" or "This device can perform faster"...

Tomorrow may be the end of this device once and for all...unless anyone has any more suggestions?
Old 24-06-2010, 21:46   #5
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Windows 7 is your friend...

Seriously though, sounds like a driver issue. That error message tends to appear in XP when you plug a USB2 device into a USB1 socket.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote