Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stephen Hawking warns "we should avoid aliens"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Stephen Hawking warns "we should avoid aliens"

Old 25-04-2010, 23:11   #16
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
re: Stephen Hawking warns "we should avoid aliens"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
As Captain Kirk discovered when he faced the Horta...

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Don't forget Mr Spock survived the Dikironium Cloud, "Vampire Cloud" because he's blood is based on Copper unlike the human Iron.

frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2010, 00:01   #17
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
re: Stephen Hawking warns "we should avoid aliens"

I've always found Erich von Daniken's books interesting in trying to find our religious link with that of our alien past. Much of it's bunkum but some of it is quite thought provoking.

I first read "Chariots of the Gods" when I was 13 in 1972. When I moved house 5 years ago I refound the original paperbook I bought in a shop (called OBM, I think) in Hobart, Tasmania. His theories haven't moved on much since then, but neither has relgion.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 17:38   #18
Spectato
Inactive

Services: || (XL) Broadband || (XL) Nuisance Call Hotline ||
Spectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to beholdSpectato is a splendid one to behold
Re: Stephen Hawking warns "we should avoid aliens"

Oh Mr Hawking.
You media whore!
Spectato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 17:45   #19
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
As Captain Kirk discovered when he faced the Horta...

I was thinking X-Files (Fire - IIRC)
Old 26-04-2010, 23:05   #20
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I was thinking X-Files (Fire - IIRC)
Close - Firewalker (season 2).
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:45   #21
injuneer
Inactive

injuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to behold

I still think that us humans were stowaways on a visiting alien spaceship, a sort of ship's rat!
injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 11:46   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by injuneer View Post
I still think that us humans were stowaways on a visiting alien spaceship, a sort of ship's rat!
I wonder how that theory would match up with the fact that some monkeys have 93.5% matching DNA?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 11:48   #23
injuneer
Inactive

injuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to beholdinjuneer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
I wonder how that theory would match up with the fact that some monkeys have 93.5% matching DNA?
There were Monkeys on board as well.
injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 11:49   #24
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Obviously just a coincidence Even I knew that
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 21:21   #25
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Looks like I was right after all. And we only needed to go as far as California to find it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11886943

Quote:
The first organism able to substitute one of the six chemical elements crucial to life has been found.

The bacterium, found in a California lake, uses the usually poisonous element arsenic in place of phosphorus.

The find, described in Science, gives weight to the long-standing idea that life on other planets may have a radically different chemical makeup.
Long-standing? Yeah, by me. No other sod believed it.

So when do I get my Nobel prize?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 22:33   #26
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Punky, what you mentioned about other lifeforms not needing oxygen seems to already exist so totally supports your theory.

Under the sea many miles down they have found deep volcanoes releasing sulpher and gasses and they found life down there where there is not even any light.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 22:38   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Anaerobic lifeforms - they were here long before us....
Old 02-12-2010, 22:41   #28
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Anaerobic lifeforms - they were here long before us....
That wasn't what I meant. Plants don't need oxygen to live. However this isn't a radical change in biochemistry that aliens would need to survive on other planets.
Old 02-12-2010, 22:45   #29
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Punky, I was responding to Halycon...
Old 02-12-2010, 22:52   #30
punky
Inactive

Oops, sorry.