Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin AC1200+ with Virgin Superhub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin AC1200+ with Virgin Superhub

Old 01-04-2016, 08:15   #1
GrIdL0cK
Inactive

GrIdL0cK is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin AC1200+ with Virgin Superhub

Hello everyone!

I'm a newcomer to the forum and a bit of a network noob, although I can do a few beginner tasks, so hopefully if someone does reply, it won't sail too far above my head.

I'm on Virgin Media and it's connected through a cable through the wall, into my Virgin Media Superhub 2ac. Recently, I've been having a bunch of Wi-Fi range issues and problems, especially with my Smart TV, so I got myself a range extender which does help a little bit but not as much as I would like.

I decided to grab myself a Belkin AC1200+ and run the Superhub in its "modem" mode and figured everything would be great with that.

I keep running into issues no and I don't know how I can fix it, I don't know how it will work but I can't get it to connect at all. The light on the Belkin is always orange (unless I'm rebooting it) and I've tried the Superhub in modem mode, hub mode, tried different ports, tried switching both on and off numerous times. I just don't know.

I even went as far as changing all the IP addresses too.

The Virgin hub is at: 192.168.0.1
The Belkin is at: 192.168.2.1

I've put my wireless laptop (and wired computer) on Obtain IP's automatically, I've swapped the addresses around, I've change the Belkin and the Superhub to the same IP (apart from the last digit), I've tried both as the default gateway, I just can't get anything to work.

When I put them all on the same IP (192.168.0.x), I can connect to either Wireless (as long as the Superhub isn't in modem mode) but then can't ping the one I'm not connected to, so I think there is no connection between the Superhub and the Belkin.

If anyone has any suggestions for me or feels that they may be able to provide me with an assist, I would be forever grateful and eternally in your debt.

Thanks!
GrIdL0cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2016, 15:20   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Belkin AC1200+ with Virgin Superhub

Welcome to the forum.

You need to switch the SH into modem mode with a single PC connected by cable to port one. (Next to the incoming co-ax cable) Then power it down and reconnect your LAN cable to the router.

It is important to switch things on in the right sequence. First the SH and then wait for the lights to stabilise, then the router and again wait for it to stabilise. Then the PC and other devices should be able to connect.

This allows the router to get properly registered to the SH. After this first time the sequence shouldn't matter if the setup stays the same. I've had a power outage in the past and it just all came back on fine. I do tend to just leave the SH and router on all the time as they don't take a lot of power and the smart TV needs them anyway.

HTH
Old 01-04-2016, 15:40   #3
GrIdL0cK
Inactive

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice! I'm looking forward to giving your suggestion a try when I get home tonight.

I'll hold thumbs that this is going to put an end to all my woes.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You need to switch the SH into modem mode with a single PC connected by cable to port one. (Next to the incoming co-ax cable) Then power it down and reconnect your LAN cable to the router.
In terms of cables, after I have put my PC cable in to the router, I'll plug the other cable I have from the "Modem" port in my Belkin to the SH bottom port?

I see there is a port on the actual power plug of the Belkin as well, should I be plugging it in there rather and the black ethernet plug coupled with the power cord into the "Modem" port?
Old 01-04-2016, 17:23   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The initial setup is to plug an Ethernet cable from your PC into the SH directly, power the SH and when stable power up the PC. This works one to one. Use this to set modem mode. Use your browser on 192.168.100.1 (or 192.168.0.1) can't remember which one in this setup.

Then follow as above.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2016, 19:22   #5
GrIdL0cK
Inactive

I tried the above, switched on the Belkin and got the same orange lights I've been seeing with no Internet connection present.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:33   #6
GrIdL0cK
Inactive

Morning everyone.

After a night of testing and trying a bunch of things, I just can't come right with getting the Internet working on my belkin router. It feels like the SH is not detecting the Belkin or something or maybe the other way around, who knows...

I sat with virgin technical support last night who didn't really help me because well, it's virgin support. I fear that I may need to just give up, return my router and perhaps look for something that might be a little easier to use or connect for this method.

Still, I'm not against trying some more so if anyone has any more ideas, I'd be happy to give them a try.

Thanks!