Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network Drive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network Drive

Old 15-12-2015, 02:40   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Network Drive

After Christmas in the sales i wanna create a network drive that all 3 of us can access and save to at home at once.

What would be the best way of doing this?
Would getting a Wireless NAS drive do the job?

Also would more than one user be able to access the same file on the drive at the same time?

Thanks.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2015, 07:38   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Network Drive

I just connected a NAS via ethernet to my hub and my TV mobile phones etc can all access it,
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 12:24   #3
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Thats exactly what im looking for.

The reason im not thinking cloud access is because i dont want the time od having to download and then reupload the files if edited.
Old 16-12-2015, 18:21   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Can anyone suggest a network drive that works the way i want and is easy to setup?
Old 16-12-2015, 18:28   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have the WD My Book 2TB, it connects to my router, and can be accessed both internally & externally.
Old 16-12-2015, 19:03   #6
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Can anyone suggest a network drive that works the way i want and is easy to setup?
You should be able to connect a USB drive to your ASUS router and share this on the LAN via the built-in (SMB) networking. Here's a video that covers this:

Set Up USB Storage on an Asus Router

This approach does allow you to access the same drive content from the internet i.e. when you are away from home if you are ok with this security-wise.

The concurrent file access is trickier: read access is no problem but cordinating write access to the same file is tricky when you are using direct filesystem access.

This approach does have the added benefits of making any media content available to streaming DNLA and/or iTunes clients if you need this.
Old 17-12-2015, 17:30   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I have a Synology DS215, it takes two disk drives so you can connect up in RAID format for security. It plugs into your hub and is easy to set up. It comes with loads of free apps, eg Cloud Station which backs up your files as you change them, you can access it remotely if you wish too.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 00:56   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You should be able to connect a USB drive to your ASUS router and share this on the LAN via the built-in (SMB) networking. Here's a video that covers this:

Set Up USB Storage on an Asus Router

This approach does allow you to access the same drive content from the internet i.e. when you are away from home if you are ok with this security-wise.

The concurrent file access is trickier: read access is no problem but cordinating write access to the same file is tricky when you are using direct filesystem access.

This approach does have the added benefits of making any media content available to streaming DNLA and/or iTunes clients if you need this.
Would i be able to use an external 1TB drive?
Old 18-12-2015, 09:10   #9
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Would i be able to use an external 1TB drive?
Should be fine. Came across this on google:

Plug-n-Share Disks Compatibility List
Old 18-12-2015, 09:15   #10
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Ta i will give it a try later sometime.
Old 20-12-2015, 18:52   #11
alanbjames
R.I.P.

I think a network drive is a better option.

I followed that video and setup the drive and network and i have tried two drives and get really bad read\write speeds.

It starts off around 1.1mb/s and drops to around 34k where it hangs and then jumps back up and falls and hangs, then jumps again. It took me almost 40mins to download 462mb from the USB drive to my PC.
Old 20-12-2015, 19:40   #12
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I think a network drive is a better option.

I followed that video and setup the drive and network and i have tried two drives and get really bad read\write speeds.

It starts off around 1.1mb/s and drops to around 34k where it hangs and then jumps back up and falls and hangs, then jumps again. It took me almost 40mins to download 462mb from the USB drive to my PC.
Hi Alan, these speeds do seem low. Here's a TBB review of the N66u and the speeds they got with a USB HDD here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...6u.html#backup

Quote:
We tested the USB systems read/write performance by using a large (1 GigaByte) file and timing the operations. We have included the speeds reading and writing to the same device when connected to a PC.
File copy to USB stick connected to RT-N66U 26 Mbps (Mega bits per second)
File read from USB stick connected to RT-N66U 91 Mbps
File copy to USB connected to PC 33 Mbps
File read from USB stick connected to PC 125 Mbps
File copy to USB 2 HDD connected to RT-N66U 126 Mbps
File read from USB 2 HDD connected to RT-N66U 85 Mbps
File copy to USB 2 HDD connected to PC 240 Mbps
File read from USB 2 HDD connected to PC 235 Mbps
File read from routers WAN FTP server (USB HDD) 103 Mbps
File copy to routers WAN FTP server (USB HDD) 59.4 Mbps

The USB system on the RT-N66U seems pretty fast, but the difference between using a USB stick and a USB 2.0 hard drive reveals how important the choice of storage media is when using the RT-N66U as a media server.
To be fair, the router will always be a poor substiute for a dedicated NAS. The HP MicroServer N40L I have running Open Media Vault will deliver 800+Mbps over AFP/SMB network shares but this is much more costly to setup and maintain relative to what you have with the router.
Old 20-12-2015, 19:54   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

http://www.ebuyer.com/620412-buffalo...-ls210d0301-eu
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 08:31   #14
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

http://www.trustedreviews.com/synology-ds215j-review

This is £129 from Amazon, you use your own disk drives, I have two 1Tb drives in RAID format for security. The backup software, cloud station backs up each file as you save it.

The Buffalo NAS backup software does a complete back up so you would need additional software if you want to back up as you go
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 23:26   #15
alanbjames
R.I.P.

I bit the bullet and got the synology ds615j with a 3TB WD Red NAS drive.

It was a bit of a pain in the rear after i setup it wouldnt accept my user or password which i looked at the forums and its a common issue. I had to do the reset and login using the standard admin and then change all my details manually.