Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wi Fi Setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wi Fi Setup

Old 05-11-2013, 21:29   #1
Buzzby
Inactive

Services: TV + Phone + 200mB internet from now virgin
Buzzby is on a distinguished roadBuzzby is on a distinguished road
Post Wi Fi Setup

My partner has bought an Asus Nexus 7 and I have to set it up. She already has a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router a WRT54G an 802.11g. The PC is an oldish one running XP, patched up to date. It is on a 10mB broadband setup.

What I wish to know is what internet configuration type Virgin uses, a static or dynamic IP address and anything else needed to setup the router. I presume XP has a wireless setup procedure, my PC is Win7. There is also a host name & domain name usually needed by cable ISP's does Virgin? & if so can I find it? or can someone tell me please?

Is there anything I should watch out for. The PC & router will be upstairs & the nexus mostly downstairs.

Thanks,
Buzzby
Buzzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2013, 21:44   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wi Fi Setup

IIRC its sort of Static, but reboots may assign you a new IP address.

I just login to my router via my phones & tablets, I've had no issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 22:38   #3
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzby View Post
My partner has bought an Asus Nexus 7 and I have to set it up. She already has a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router a WRT54G an 802.11g. The PC is an oldish one running XP, patched up to date. It is on a 10mB broadband setup.

What I wish to know is what internet configuration type Virgin uses, a static or dynamic IP address and anything else needed to setup the router. I presume XP has a wireless setup procedure, my PC is Win7. There is also a host name & domain name usually needed by cable ISP's does Virgin? & if so can I find it? or can someone tell me please?

Is there anything I should watch out for. The PC & router will be upstairs & the nexus mostly downstairs.

Thanks,
Buzzby
Am I missing something? Why do you think you need to do anything with the router?

She turns on the tablet, searches for the wireless network (or enters the SSID if it's not broadcast) and enters the password. That's it. You don't need to know or care about host names or static ips or anything like that.
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 00:36   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Leave everything on fully automatic.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote