Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Updated: Boris resigns as party leader
Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2022, 08:12   #3601
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Updated: Boris resigns as party leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, and that is why the Opposition will not get to power. Boris Johnson will be gone, the Conservatives will have moved on and actually started implementing the rest of their mandate, and still Labour will be bleating on about the unfairness of it all with Partygate instead of putting forward policies that people can relate to.
Ever the hopeless optimist, OB.
Advertisement
Old 14-07-2022, 08:27   #3602
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/62071182

Quote:
Fact-checking three years of the outgoing prime minister's claims

During his three years he has been fact-checked regularly. Here are some of the claims that we examined when he made them (along with the articles from the time).
Old 14-07-2022, 09:30   #3603
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Boris is leaving there is no dignity in kicking a man when he is on the floor.
Old 14-07-2022, 09:51   #3604
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I'm loving this, knives in the back everywhere!
Quote:
Lord Frost, the former Brexit chief negotiator, has told Talk TV he would have "grave reservations" about Penny Mordaunt becoming Prime Minister.

Citing his time working alongside her during the Brexit negotiations, when Mordaunt served as his junior, Lord Frost said she "wasn't fully accountable or always visible".

"To be honest, I'm quite surprised she is where she is in this race. She was my deputy - notionally more than really - in the Brexit talks last year," he said.

"I'm sorry to say this, she did not master the necessary detail in the negotiations last year. She wouldn't always deliver tough messages to the European Union when that was necessary and I'm afraid she wasn't fully accountable or always visible. Sometimes I didn't even know where she was."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...russ-badenoch/

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Usually, but in Bozzas case think its allowed
Old 14-07-2022, 10:02   #3605
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, and that is why the Opposition will not get to power. Boris Johnson will be gone, the Conservatives will have moved on and actually started implementing the rest of their mandate, and still Labour will be bleating on about the unfairness of it all with Partygate instead of putting forward policies that people can relate to.
Starmer was criticised at the time for raising the energy price hikes and suggesting a windfall tax when he could have more easily put the boot in on Partygate. I think he knows what to focus on even if the Conservatives belatedly copy his policies in the absence of their own.

Whoever's elected will inherit a bad hand in terms of the cost of living crisis, strikes and even higher energy bills.

I don't fancy their re-election chances whoever they are.

Best for Labour that there is no general election - it's a poisoned chalice.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 14-07-2022 at 10:11.
Old 14-07-2022, 10:13   #3606
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You never learn.

Barely more than a week ago you were confidently asserting exactly the same thing, with the single exception of Boris still being in power. It’s as if the future will always pan out the way you wish it would, regardless of what actual facts might transpire in the meantime.
Old 14-07-2022, 10:17   #3607
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I would usually agree with you but I think Maggy's link will be useful for those struggling to understand why he's been effectively sacked from yet another job.
Old 14-07-2022, 10:53   #3608
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s a good laugh tho, innit?
Old 14-07-2022, 11:26   #3609
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s a good laugh tho, innit?
Well I think so, with a proviso that the next cabinet gets down to proper work. There should be a shakeout with most of the old guard removed.

In my book there's a place for Truss in her current role and Gove in a role where his ability to deliver is most effective. I would keep Wallace, of course.
The rest of the cabinet - sod 'em.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-07-2022, 11:59   #3610
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Well I think so, with a proviso that the next cabinet gets down to proper work. There should be a shakeout with most of the old guard removed.

In my book there's a place for Truss in her current role and Gove in a role where his ability to deliver is most effective. I would keep Wallace, of course.
Truss cannot be trusted and has tarnished the UK's global reputation. She's all slogans and no delivery. Like Johnson tells the Party what they want just to keep her job, however contradictory it is.
Old 14-07-2022, 12:02   #3611
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Of course, it’s up to the next Government to move the country on, with their belated recognition that the economy isn’t working I’m very intrigued to hear how any plan on addressing it.

I, for one, cannot wait for the prophesied high skill, high wage economy after the largest fall in living standards since the war. In particular how any wage rises will match the current levels of purchasing power, and not simply be eroded by housing costs, energy costs, childcare costs, etc.
Old 14-07-2022, 13:03   #3612
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think Boris started to believe his own hype.
He did the job most elected him for, and a reasonable job in the pandemic.
In the end, he had no choice but to go, I dont see the potential replacements standing out as much better TBH,
If you define over 200000 dead reasonable.
Attached Images
File Type: png covid.png (133.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 14-07-2022, 13:25   #3613
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Did a reasonable job in supporting his mates' PPE bids and the booze industry during the pandemic.
Old 14-07-2022, 16:19   #3614
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007stuart View Post
Erroneous figure.

That died with Covid, not of.

Any person dying of something, like being knocked down within 28 days of a confirmed covid result, would be included in such statistics.

True totals of persons dying of just Covid are as follows:

Quote:
Please see below for death registrations for 2020 and 2021 (provisional) that were due to COVID-19 and were recorded without any pre-existing conditions, England and Wales.

2020: 9432 (0-64: 1557 / 65 and over: 7875)

2021 Q1: 6483 (0-64: 1560/ 65 and over: 4923)

2021 Q2: 346 (0-64: 153/ 65 and over: 193)

2021 Q3: 1142 (0-64: 512/ 65 and over: 630)

Official stats from ONS.
Old 14-07-2022, 16:29   #3615
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The 28 day count doesn’t apply to the death certificates - whoever writes I it up has to have cause to record it as a factor in their death.
Closed Thread