Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Running CAT5e cable....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Running CAT5e cable....

Old 05-05-2008, 21:21   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Running CAT5e cable....

Evening,

Is it ok to run some CAT5e cable in the same trunking next to some coax / aerial cable?

Would there be any interference etc?

Cheers

Lee
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2008, 21:24   #2
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one
Re: Running CAT5e cable....

I would. afaik it is only power + data that should be avoided.
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 21:39   #3
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Cool - thought so - thanks.

I'm planning on running some CAT5e to a faceplate next to the RF socket near the TV in the living room, going up to the loft and then back down to the study where the gigabit switch resides - via another faceplate for neatness.
Old 05-05-2008, 21:42   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If you use high quality cable this would be reduced

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 22:36   #5
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Evening,

Is it ok to run some CAT5e cable in the same trunking next to some coax / aerial cable?

Would there be any interference etc?

Cheers

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
If you use high quality cable this would be reduced
What would ?
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 22:46   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Sorry should have said interference

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 00:26   #7
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

Well, to be fair, if you use higher quality cable it'll make it easier to crimp too! But don't spend a fortune...

I've found it very hard to cause any real problems to CAT5. So long as it's not right next to a power cable, you should always be fine.

(Stuff going through the coax will be a completely different frequency to what's on the CAT5, so hence why there won't be a problem there. )
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:01   #8
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Cool - thought so - thanks.

I'm planning on running some CAT5e to a faceplate next to the RF socket near the TV in the living room, going up to the loft and then back down to the study where the gigabit switch resides - via another faceplate for neatness.
Got my whole house networked using CAT5e...pretty much same as what you are doing...no problems here...if you use really cheap cable you may run into problems though...
Old 06-05-2008, 09:12   #9
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bo View Post
I would. afaik it is only power + data that should be avoided.
so your saying you cant run two cat5e cables together???

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhnewark View Post
Well, to be fair, if you use higher quality cable it'll make it easier to crimp too! But don't spend a fortune...

I've found it very hard to cause any real problems to CAT5. So long as it's not right next to a power cable, you should always be fine.

(Stuff going through the coax will be a completely different frequency to what's on the CAT5, so hence why there won't be a problem there. )
Just because its a different frequency doesnt mean there wont be any interference. Generally if you keep it away from power then there shouldnt be an issue
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:13   #10
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
so your saying you cant run two cat5e cables together???

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Just because its a different frequency doesnt mean there wont be any interference. Generally if you keep it away from power then there shouldnt be an issue
You can run cat5 next to cat5...lots of cabling companies do it!
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

I've seen 100s of CAT5 cables running through the same ducts before without any problems
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:28   #12
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Cat 5 cables running alongside each other is fine.
You just have to take a look in one our cabs at work and there are tonnes of cables all over the place.

It's power (electrical) cables that you should avoid placing next to ethernet cables.

Another thing to bare in mind is you should get specially shielded cables if running cables outside or underground.

Oh, and why not go cat 6 just to be on the future proof side.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:46   #13
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker View Post
You can run cat5 next to cat5...lots of cabling companies do it!
I know, thats why i said it, Mr_bo was suggesting you cant
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 21:59   #14
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy View Post
I know, thats why i said it, Mr_bo was suggesting you cant
I would run data cables together but I wouldn't run data and MAINS power parallel to each other. I didn't suggest that you can't run two cat5's together at all.
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote