Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Customers Sued for Piracy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Customers Sued for Piracy

Old 22-09-2021, 17:38   #16
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Customers Sued for Piracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You have a link for that?
Not that you couldn’t have googled it yourself, however

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...s-vpn-ips.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/ports...-media-routers
Old 23-09-2021, 07:36   #17
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Is this a scenario where a glitch could be deployed as a weapon? Is there a circumstance where an ISP, determined to prevent customers from using the service to commit piracy, might build in a modem exploit that enables sanctioned sniffers to detect ones IP address, even if hiding behind VPN for the purpose of concealing identity.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 11:07   #18
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Is this a scenario where a glitch could be deployed as a weapon? Is there a circumstance where an ISP, determined to prevent customers from using the service to commit piracy, might build in a modem exploit that enables sanctioned sniffers to detect ones IP address, even if hiding behind VPN for the purpose of concealing identity.

I doubt it as the exploit is only in the sh3, what i don’t doubt is that this vulnerability has been exposed for months and is still not fixed as of yet.

Iirc an IP address is not a legally viable means of identifying an individual anyways, these letters USUALlY end up nowhere.
Old 23-09-2021, 12:37   #19
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Not necessarily, SH3 had a vulnerability for a few months whereby peoples ‘real’ ip addresses have been obtained whilst using VPN’s

VPN’s don’t offer the level of security that most people believe
There's a big difference between what is possible if somebody goes to enough lengths and that which is exposed simply by using a P2P system.
With P2P systems you "advertise" that you have parts of an item, from which others can download from you. That is what these cases look out for. They don't do an in-depth investigation.

By "advertising" that people can also download parts from you, you are effectively issuing copies of that item. That is the aspect that's causes these issues, not simply the downloading part of the system.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Quote:
They still have to go to a lot of trouble to target an individual, and might get into trouble themselves for doing it.

Quote:
Researchers were able to mount a DNS rebinding attack that revealed a VPN user’s IP address “by [the user] simply visiting a [malicious] webpage for a few seconds”, reads a blog post drafted by Fidus in March but eventually published last week.
DNS rebinding attacks weaponize a victim’s browser by making it a proxy for attacking private networks.
If I'm reading it right, it can only work if the user can be persuaded to visit particular websites that are "infected" with this exploit. How likely is that?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 12:55   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

For anyone who doesn't have a VPN, and would like one, SurfShark are doing 2 years for £43.92 (then £43.92 a year after that) - the reviews are good (up there with NordVPN).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 13:16   #21
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
There's a big difference between what is possible if somebody goes to enough lengths and that which is exposed simply by using a P2P system.
With P2P systems you "advertise" that you have parts of an item, from which others can download from you. That is what these cases look out for. They don't do an in-depth investigation.

By "advertising" that people can also download parts from you, you are effectively issuing copies of that item. That is the aspect that's causes these issues, not simply the downloading part of the system.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

They still have to go to a lot of trouble to target an individual, and might get into trouble themselves for doing it.

If I'm reading it right, it can only work if the user can be persuaded to visit particular websites that are "infected" with this exploit. How likely is that?
Very
Old 23-09-2021, 14:22   #22
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I suspect that you also have to allow scripting, which I normally block for all but white listed sites and even then only trusted scripts.

Scripts will execute without you even clicking on anything, so called "drive by shooting", unless blocked.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 23-09-2021 at 14:23. Reason: Trusted scripts
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 20:01   #23
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
You can of course block uploading on a client, and state you did so.
So unless they have logs showing they actually downloaded pieces from you, that argument is pretty dead

Im sure I also read that it can be argued that parts (peices) are useless on their own (partial, non working downloads are a common problem) so its unlikely anyone downloaded a complete (working) copy just from you (or anyone specific).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 21:35   #24
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I suspect that you also have to allow scripting, which I normally block for all but white listed sites and even then only trusted scripts.

Scripts will execute without you even clicking on anything, so called "drive by shooting", unless blocked.
You would still have to visit whatever sites have that exploit. We're not talking about any site they choose eg BBC News or this one.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You can of course block uploading on a client, and state you did so.
So unless they have logs showing they actually downloaded pieces from you, that argument is pretty dead

Im sure I also read that it can be argued that parts (peices) are useless on their own (partial, non working downloads are a common problem) so its unlikely anyone downloaded a complete (working) copy just from you (or anyone specific).
Don't use P2P myself.
In which case they wouldn't have your IP address in the first place. I thought they can only use IP addresses that "advertise" they have content X.
Downloads are not seen as the issue, although it still breaks copyright. They're not focussed on who has downloaded anything, but who has uploaded it.

Not sure they could ever prove that somebody else managed to download every single part from a particular person. Would that make these court cases invalid? If each part is small(short) enough, would a single part be covered by "fair use"?

I thought the whole notion of P2P was not to have people having to all download from the one source. The download impact is shared around.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:32   #25
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
For anyone who doesn't have a VPN, and would like one, SurfShark are doing 2 years for £43.92 (then £43.92 a year after that) - the reviews are good (up there with NordVPN).
Why pay? ProtonVPN works for me. Lightweight and ad free. I don't do torrents but it allows me to watch away matches on a Saturday afternoon (only allowed for those overseas). Its a win win for me and my club (as I still pay them to watch from 'Amsterdam,'!) , unless they lose....
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 10:34   #26
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why pay? ProtonVPN works for me. Lightweight and ad free. I don't do torrents but it allows me to watch away matches on a Saturday afternoon (only allowed for those overseas). Its a win win for me and my club (as I still pay them to watch from 'Amsterdam,'!) , unless they lose....
Because I believe in supporting businesses to enable them continue supplying me services - at £1 a week, with unlimited connections, this enables all my & my family’s devices to be more secure, especially when out and about using public wifi.

TANSTAAFL
Old 24-09-2021, 11:07   #27
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

'TANSTAAFL' . . another of those obscure Austrian outposts you were seconded to?

Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 11:54   #28
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
'TANSTAAFL' . . another of those obscure Austrian outposts you were seconded to?

Old 24-09-2021, 18:06   #29
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because I believe in supporting businesses to enable them continue supplying me services - at £1 a week, with unlimited connections, this enables all my & my family’s devices to be more secure, especially when out and about using public wifi.

TANSTAAFL
Getting worried ,yet again I totally agree with you
Old 04-10-2021, 11:44   #30
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

I watched a pirated copy of ET on a VCR when it first came out. I’m fairly certain I’ve not watched any pirated films since.
Do you think they will be able to trace me?
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote