Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Startrek & Trekkies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Startrek & Trekkies

Old 12-08-2021, 07:10   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Startrek & Trekkies

I'm just wondering how many of u guys are trekkies??

I never used to be but my son got me into it by lending me the box set of the films.

My favourite has to be Voyager tho!

Who else has a preference?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2021, 09:27   #2
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
The original star trek has always been my favourite
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:49   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Startrek & Trekkies

You have to go a long way to beat ST:NG (the series, less so the films). While its first two seasons were a bit patchy, you can absolutely see that it’s a faithful continuation of the original, and as it matures, the main cast are all solid, believable characters who are allowed to grow rather than being forced to keep repeating the same two-dimensional cliches so as to drive plot (unlike certain later characters, like Neelix aboard Voyager for example).

The chemistry between the main cast is perhaps best summed up by the TV series’ final sequence, in which Picard finally joins the rest of them for a card game - something which the writers hadn’t even used to create artificial tension at any previous point. It was understated, and presented as continuing natural growth in relationship. Superbly measured and executed.

And having recently re-watched it all on Netflix, even the Q episodes have grown on me.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:03   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Dunno about which series I think is better but my fave episode is Trials and Tribulations( I think it was a 2 parter) DS9 where they went back in time and were on the original Enterprise. The part where they are sat in the cantine and the old Klingons walk in and they ask Worf how and he just said don't ask lmao

Ok I got the quote wrong but still very funny

Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 17:52   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

The worst startrek in my opinion also was Enterprise.
Old 12-08-2021, 18:01   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
The worst startrek in my opinion also was Enterprise.
I expect it sounded like a good idea in the pitch meeting but the reality is that many of the technologies invented for Star Trek were convenient storytelling devices, and devising a series in which they were at least partially absent was always risky. Photon torpedoes and deflector shields ensure you don’t write yourself into a corner every week, even if you’re creating stories with believable peril. The ability to blow stuff up while not getting blown up is very handy. Likewise, the transporter is the absolute classic example of simplified storytelling and many sequences especially in early episodes of Enterprise demonstrate just what an inspired device it was in the original series and how the writers struggled to maintain pace and interest in Enterprise.

Then of course, when they finally got bored with the restrictions of the period they themselves had chosen to write in, they threw in the towel and invented time wars as an excuse to bring in all the convenient high tech and spangly effects they thought they could do without.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 09:49   #7
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I thought the correct term was "trekkers"

I like it all. Some more than others. I agree ST.TNG is the best. DS9 & Voyager essentially just extensions of that.

TOS was great and still stands up against modern series.

I like all the films, except "Generations" There was not need to try and combine TOS & TNG.

I enjoyed the first series of Discovery, less so the others.

Enterprise - well the title music tells you all you need to know.
Old 13-08-2021, 13:14   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Star Trek Next Generation and Voyager have always been my favs i never bothered with DS9(not sure why).
Old 13-08-2021, 14:01   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l love all of the Star Trek series.

Star Trek, Star Wars.

Like a pig in muck...

Last edited by denphone; 13-08-2021 at 14:57.
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 22:01   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

TNG was my favourite, then TOS, then DS9 (the later seasons).

Enterprise was my least favourite, and I wasnt overly keen on Voyager.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 04:22   #11
alanbjames
R.I.P.

i quite like series 4 - 7 of DS9 to.

1 - 3 were pretty slow.
Old 16-08-2021, 07:23   #12
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
DS9 is OK out of all of them but really I think the first IS BEST!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote