Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Odeon cinema news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Odeon cinema news

Old 11-05-2021, 13:10   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Odeon cinema news

Yesterday it was confirmed that we will be proceeding with the next stage of lockdown easing on Monday 17th May which means the cinemas will be reopening. The film release date list is currently up to date and I am hoping things aren't going to change much going forward. Both the UK and US are doing very well with their vaccination programs so things should only get better and hopefully not worse.

So the good news is that there are plenty of good films coming out to see over the summer and the rest of this year. The reason why I wanted to make this post is that I have been looking at the Odeon website to see if they have updated it with new film showing times (and they haven't) and I noticed they have amended their Limitless membership for the better.

For those of you who don't know, Limitless membership is a service where you "used" to pay £17.99/month and you could go and see as many films as you wanted to any time for free. If you are a cinema fan it obviously works out very cost effective and you can save a fortune. My cinema is one of the most expensive in the country and ticket prices are usually around £12 so I was saving money even if I only went to the cinema twice a month.

I don't know whether it is because people have been cancelling their Limitless membership as cinemas have been closed for the best part of a year or whether they are just trying to encourage people back but the monthly cost has now been reduced to £9.99 until the end of September. The important point to make here is that I imagine in most areas it means that it is going to be cheaper for you to have a Limitless card even if you only go to the cinema once a month than it will buying one full priced ticket. If you look at the films being released over the next few months and if you were planning on going to see them anyway then you can save a lot of money. As an added perk you also get 10% off snacks and drinks so come September you will have saved yourself a fortune

In the interest of being fair and balanced before anyone whines about me promoting Odeon, Cineworld also provide a similar membership although I am not a member and thus cannot provide any information on changes or benefits.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2021, 13:25   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Cinemas reopening and Odeon Limitless membership

My Odeon has had new seats with trays fitted which basically means my plus size ass is not comfy on them anymore so Odeon is a no no for me . Damn shame though
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:52   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’d love to have a Limitless membership (or the Cineworld one) but at the moment we live too far from any cinema for regular trips to be practical, especially with our kids the age they are. But missus and I have our eye on it and as circumstances permit it’s something we both definitely want to do.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:55   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
My Odeon has had new seats with trays fitted which basically means my plus size ass is not comfy on them anymore so Odeon is a no no for me . Damn shame though
You are lucky, that is Odeon Luxe. As I mentioned above, my cinema is the third most expensive in the country because Odeon have the monopoly in Lincoln and know they can charge whatever they want and do whatever they want because there isn't another cinema you can go to. About 5 or 6 years ago they revamped some of the screens and put better seats in with more leg room but for some weird reason they didn't do two screens (4 and 9) so we are left with the original seats which are 20 years old, literally falling apart and they expect you to pay the same full price for films shown in those screens as you do for the other screens with far superior seating. I have complained many a time and they refuse to do anything about it. The joke is that the Odeon Luxe in Leeds charges half the price of my cinema and all the seats are two seater recliner sofas with trays. It is so f-ing annoying.
Old 11-05-2021, 17:56   #5
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Picturehouse and Curzon, my favourite London cinemas, are reopening too. I was glad because I was worried they might simply not reopen.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:15   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You are lucky, that is Odeon Luxe. As I mentioned above, my cinema is the third most expensive in the country because Odeon have the monopoly in Lincoln and know they can charge whatever they want and do whatever they want because there isn't another cinema you can go to. About 5 or 6 years ago they revamped some of the screens and put better seats in with more leg room but for some weird reason they didn't do two screens (4 and 9) so we are left with the original seats which are 20 years old, literally falling apart and they expect you to pay the same full price for films shown in those screens as you do for the other screens with far superior seating. I have complained many a time and they refuse to do anything about it. The joke is that the Odeon Luxe in Leeds charges half the price of my cinema and all the seats are two seater recliner sofas with trays. It is so f-ing annoying.
Hardly lucky if I can not go because it is a luxe
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:21   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

They converted one of the Odeons in Glasgow to a Luxe, which was annoying, because it's the one next to a really nice Chinese buffet I like to go to. I don't need the bells and whistles around my seat, it's a darkened room and I'm there for the film, so I'm not paying the higher ticket price just for a tray and legroom I don't need anyway.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 22:03   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Is Luxe the one where they advertise food and drink service DURING THE FILM? I can't image anything more annoying than people eating an actual meal during a film. You want the bigger screen, with the best sound, in the darkest room and that's it.
Old 11-05-2021, 23:01   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I had a Cineworld Unlimited card years ago, but it still worked out expensive because I had to pay to park (its in Nottingham city centre).

I switched to Showcase becasue I really like the reclining seats, and free parking, but unlike Odeon/Cineworld, they dont do a season ticket type card.

(They do "Insider", which is free, and you get discounts, but not the same thing).

I'm getting 6 free tickets for Odeon later in the year, so I'll get a chance to see what the Derby one is like (its a Luxe).

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Well I guess I wont be bothering with Limitless, even if I did like the cinema.

The whole site refers to "digital membership" and using "the app".
Obviously another of these pathetic companies discriminating against those who do not have a Smart Phone.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:16   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Is Luxe the one where they advertise food and drink service DURING THE FILM?.
That is something new they must be trialling. I think they are calling it "Luxe dining in". Normal Luxe is recliner seats with bucket loads of space. I understand how off putting eating sounds during the film but they have got plenty of experience doing it and it works very well. About 10 years ago Odeon opened a cinema in London called "The Lounge" which was a 5 screen cinema, adults only, proper posh bar and restaurant menu, It was all waiter service in screen and the idea is that you enjoyed a 3 course meal with however many drinks while you watch the film. I went a few films for special films and it worked brilliantly and the food was amazing. The cutlery, plates and trays were all sound proofed and the waiters wore all-black and ran and ducked as they worked their way around people. You really didn't notice them at all. The sad thing is that it was really expensive and even though it was in central London I am assuming it wasn't popular enough which is why it was closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
The whole site refers to "digital membership" and using "the app".
that is new and it will be interesting to see how that works. The membership is tied to your Odeon account so when you book tickets online or in the app it knows you are Limitless and you get them free however when you collect the tickets from the atm machines in the cinema the only way you can retrieve them is by swiping your card (whether it be debit card or limitless). It will be interesting to see if they have have replaced the machines so they have now got scanners built in which can read QR codes. I can think of better things they can spend their money on.
Old 12-05-2021, 16:54   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Response from Odeon ;

Quote:
Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting us & I hope you are doing well.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the new digital version of myLimitless.

Just so so are aware we are phasing out physical membership cards, instead your membership card is now fully digital and accessible from our new myODEON app.

If you do not have access to a smart phone you are able to still book online using a PC, provided you have an email address that is registered to your myLimitless account. You can also give your email address to a member of staff in cinema, who will then be able to bring up your myLimitless details without the need for a physical card.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 19:14   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

It would be nice if they flipping email the limitless members and told them because i have heard sweet fa. I saw them promoting the app and qr code on the website but i assumed it was an "as well as" as another way to do something and not an "instead of" or replacement.
Old 14-05-2021, 20:53   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Well there is good news and bad news. The good news is that I have had an email from Odeon confirming the membership price decrease to £9.99 and better yet we aren't being charged until the June billing period so basically the next month is free.

The bad news is that it is just as well because the films they have got on are carp. Talk about a missed opportunity. You have Tom and Jerry, Nomadland, Mortal Kombat, Peter Rabbit 2 and something else which has also been released on a streaming service. They should be trying to motivate people and encourage fans back to the cinema. They could start at the beginning and show 2 MCU films a week in the run up to Black Widow. I am not even going to get started on all the classics they could bring back. We nearly into a new generation of young people who never saw Avatar in 3D at the cinema.
Old 14-05-2021, 22:23   #14
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I didn't watch Nomanland on Streaming so might make that my first film back or Minari.
Old 15-05-2021, 20:04   #15
General Maximus
Ran Away

I know everyone has different tastes but unless you are desperate to get back into the cinema I wouldn't bother with either of them, even if you are Limitless. Neither are cinema worthy imho.