Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Neighbours new skybox has started turning on his tv in the middle of the night

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Neighbours new skybox has started turning on his tv in the middle of the night

Old 06-11-2020, 12:18   #1
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Services: vm bbl.tvxl
figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold
Neighbours new skybox has started turning on his tv in the middle of the night

Hi,i have searched the internet for this and have a few people on the sky forum complaining of the same thing.The last two nights his tv has come on at 4.30am at high volume and switching off at 5.30am waking us and neighbours(i am on the top he is in the middle flat) . Has anybody here experienced the same thing?.It seems to be something about the hdmi connection from sky box to tv. Now the fly in the ointment is he is an addict and when talking to him yesterday about it he claims he did not hear it!. Now he admits he is on sleeping tablets and this is probably why he cannot hear the tv coming on.

I need to get this sorted out asap and i need a concrete fix for this before i ask to go into his house to try and fix this as i guess he is not av/tech wise!.

Asking him to pull the mains plug,switch off tv power button,or turn the volume button down before he goes to bed will fall on deaf ears as he is spaced out most of the time and we have had a long history of anti social behaviour problems with this person over the last 4 years,so getting co operation from him may be tricky,hence the need for a solid solution as i may only get one chance to sort this.
figgyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2020, 12:40   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: neighbours new skybox has started turning on his tv in the middle of the night

Some TVs will automatically switch on when they detect a signal on an HDMI port. Ours does - we only have to switch our Freesat box on with its remote, and at a certain point in the boot up process the HDMI goes live, signals the TV and the TV comes on. It may be possible to alter this behaviour in the TV's settings. The source of the problem however is the Sky box booting up for whatever reason at 0430. Presumably it has an inactivity timer which is why it would then shut down exactly an hour later. I don't know why the Sky box is starting up at 0430 but this is most likely due to it automatically looking for updates. Again, there may be a setting in the Sky box that allows him to alter this behaviour. If the settings can't be changed on either device, the best workaround might be to leave the Sky box switched on permanently, with its inactivity timer set to 'never'. If it's always on, it can't power cycle and can't affect the TV.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 14:34   #3
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

figgyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to beholdfiggyburn is a splendid one to behold
Re: Neighbours new skybox has started turning on his tv in the middle of the night

Thanks for the reply chris.still the same outcome though,sleepless night again.i have spoken to his "normal" sister and i am meeting her today to discuss problem.the sky forum online has numerous people complaining about this so i am/he is not alone with this problem.
Old 07-11-2020, 16:58   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Neighbours new skybox has started turning on his tv in the middle of the night

Apparently, it's because the HDMI setting is switched to 'on' and needs to be switched to 'off'.

I've been told that a power failure can sometimes make it switch to on when it was previously in the off position. Was there a power cut to the house just before this started (though it might have only gone off in his flat if he has a prepayment meter)?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 18:44   #5
figgyburn
Helter Skelter

Thanks for the reply richard,i got down there via his sister and set both the panasonic viera
hdmi link off on his tv and the hdmi link on his sky q box to off.His sister phoned sky when i was there(40 mins on hold) to enquire about this problem and explain that various people on the sky forum had been complaining about this very problem.

Of course the person said they had never heard of this problem and that people on forums change the settings on their boxes and muck them up when they should leave well alone!,he was on speakerphone,so i heard every word.He talked her through the very things i had done the previous day with the info from the sky forum.

He would not accept that i had done all these things to no avail.He then said he will be pushing new updates to the box to see if that would cure the problem.Well last night i got up at 4.30am to listen and lo and behold radio 5 live came on(that's what always comes on) again for one minute and then strangely went off.I spoke to his sister today and she confirmed that it woke him up this time(he conks out on the couch as he cannot make it to the bedroom)and confirmed to her that it's happening,so she is going to phone up sky to cancel tomorrow.Our block live in hope.
Old 08-11-2020, 21:46   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgyburn View Post
Thanks for the reply richard,i got down there via his sister and set both the panasonic viera
hdmi link off on his tv and the hdmi link on his sky q box to off.His sister phoned sky when i was there(40 mins on hold) to enquire about this problem and explain that various people on the sky forum had been complaining about this very problem.

Of course the person said they had never heard of this problem and that people on forums change the settings on their boxes and muck them up when they should leave well alone!,he was on speakerphone,so i heard every word.He talked her through the very things i had done the previous day with the info from the sky forum.

He would not accept that i had done all these things to no avail.He then said he will be pushing new updates to the box to see if that would cure the problem.Well last night i got up at 4.30am to listen and lo and behold radio 5 live came on(that's what always comes on) again for one minute and then strangely went off.I spoke to his sister today and she confirmed that it woke him up this time(he conks out on the couch as he cannot make it to the bedroom)and confirmed to her that it's happening,so she is going to phone up sky to cancel tomorrow.Our block live in hope.
You're welcome.

Sounds like he'd be better with a Freesat box.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote