Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 25-06-2019, 16:33   #5221
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Im off to see Dark Pheonix later today, so we'll see how that goes.
Dont hold your breath
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2019, 11:09   #5222
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Toy Story 4 - 9/10.

I thought it was great. I also thought it was pretty funny but it's been a while since I saw previous instalments so I don't know if it's as funny. The 'Plush Rush' stuff was amazing though.

Rocketman 8/10

I thought this was unexpectedly quite good. More cohesive than Bohemian Rhapsody and also with a better use of the music. I thought Taron Egerton was better as Elton John that Rami Malek was as Freddie Mercury, with the latter it always seemed like someone doing a good impression of Mercury but with Egerton I sort of forgot it's a performance.
I loved Toy Story. I like or love all of the Pixar films. I like the way they take some quite adult concepts (for me, the Toy Story films have always been about friendship, and how it changes as people's lives change) and explain them in a way that is easy to understand for kids, and relatable for adults, and they manage to do so in an entertaining (if sometimes sentimental) way.

I also agree about Rocketman. I went to see it out of curiosity. Not really expecting to like it much (not a massive fan of Musicals in film, they tend to feel like the music is forced into the story). It was a film I probably wouldn't have bothered with had I not had an Unlimited card and had to pay for the ticket.

I enjoyed it. Yes, it was unashamedly a musical, but even the way that was done work. Yes it had the big dance numbers, but they worked well. I like the way it didn't seem to pull any punches regarding either Elton's sexuality or substance abuse.

I love Bohemian Rhapsody, but I felt that was more a celebration of the music, and that the life story of Freddie was glossed over a little bit. Particularly the substance abuse (which was barely mentioned). Remember, Kenny Everett described Freddie Mercury as a man who burned the candle at both ends, and in the middle. You don't get to party to the extent without taking a ton of (probably illegal) drugs.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: 8/10

These films just get better and better. Fantastic action scenes, new creative ways on how to kill and the world expands with many new characters and new locations. Really really enjoyable and they are obviously planning for a fourth.

If you enjoyed 1 and 2 this is a must see.
As with Rocketman, above, I went to see John Wick because I had an Unlimited card, and had a couple of hours spare, so I popped into the nearest cinema and watched it. I probably wouldn't have bothered had I had to pay for the ticket (I know I do via the fee for the Unlimited card, but I'd paid that anyway). I saw John Wick 2. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there was a lot I didn't understand, not having seen the first one. I have since seen all three, and I think style wise they are very reminiscent of the original Robocop, and Total Recall. In fact, I think had Paul Verhoeven carried on making that style of film until today, what he produced today would likely be very much like the John Wick series of films. Maybe more satirical, but similar.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 12:13   #5223
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
As with Rocketman, above, I went to see John Wick because I had an Unlimited card, and had a couple of hours spare, so I popped into the nearest cinema and watched it. I probably wouldn't have bothered had I had to pay for the ticket (I know I do via the fee for the Unlimited card, but I'd paid that anyway). I saw John Wick 2. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there was a lot I didn't understand, not having seen the first one. I have since seen all three, and I think style wise they are very reminiscent of the original Robocop, and Total Recall. In fact, I think had Paul Verhoeven carried on making that style of film until today, what he produced today would likely be very much like the John Wick series of films. Maybe more satirical, but similar.
The thing which I love about the John Wick films is that each one is unique and different in terms of the story and action to justify the films existence (rather than just a rehash of the same thing) but they are also part of a greater story. Unlike the Fast franchise where each film is pretty much standalone but with the same cast, the John Wick franchise is more like Star Wars where each film is different but is part of one big story and each film continues the story. I think they deserve to be more successful than they have been and I am just glad they continue to make more. Given the surprisingly low production budgets one could given the profit margins that they are actually more lucrative than many films with higher budgets. The amount of money they have made from John Wick 3 would pay for another 6 films.

John Wick 1: Production budget $20m, lifetime gross $88m
John Wick 2: Production budget $40m, lifetime gross $172m
John Wick 3: Production budget $40m, lifetime gross $290m

The good news is that whilst looking for that info I have just discovered they have already green lit John Wick 4 and it is penned for a May 2021 release date.
Old 26-06-2019, 17:02   #5224
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I also agree about Rocketman. I went to see it out of curiosity. Not really expecting to like it much (not a massive fan of Musicals in film, they tend to feel like the music is forced into the story). It was a film I probably wouldn't have bothered with had I not had an Unlimited card and had to pay for the ticket.
Yeah. With musicals it depends on the type. A jukebox musical is designed to fit music into a narrative structure and in these cases the story will typically pause for the song. Something like Les Miserables will advance the story though music instead, i.e the music serves the story.

Quote:
I love Bohemian Rhapsody, but I felt that was more a celebration of the music, and that the life story of Freddie was glossed over a little bit. Particularly the substance abuse (which was barely mentioned). Remember, Kenny Everett described Freddie Mercury as a man who burned the candle at both ends, and in the middle. You don't get to party to the extent without taking a ton of (probably illegal) drugs..
Yeah I thought Rhapsody was essentially an excuse to play Queen songs. Rocketman did better at telling the overall story and in that sense the music served it better, such as the way the song Rocket Man itself was used to quick skim through part of the story.

If you took the songs out then Rocketman would make a better film.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 16:33   #5225
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
X-men: Dark Phoenix: 6/10

This is a hard one because despite many peoples feelings over previous x-men films including the original trilogy, I have loved all of them up and till now and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one felt like something was missing. I got the impression that they felt like it was the fourth film in the franchise so they didn't need to spend any time on the characters and just focus on the action and special effects. It left the film feeling very hollow.
I have to disagree, and give it 7/10.
I actually liked this one better than some of the previous efforts.
I did think it a shame they killed off Raven - although since this is supposedly the last in the Fox X-Man series, I guess it didnt matter that much.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 17:13   #5226
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I did think it a shame they killed off Raven
how dare they kill off Katniss
Old 29-06-2019, 19:22   #5227
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yesterday - 7/10. Fun film. Obviously the music is awesome. Sorta breaks down if you think about it too much but the solution to that is to avoid doing so
Old 30-06-2019, 08:59   #5228
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Captain Marvel 3/5. Bits were good, but it all felt somewhat laboured.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 19:07   #5229
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Shaft (the latest one on Netflix) - 7/10.

Good fun, especially the culture clash between "old school" Shaft and his hipster son.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 21:35   #5230
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Men in Black: International : 7/10

Considering this was the forth installment, and new charecters, I wasnt holing out a lot of hope for this.
However, I did in fact really enjoy it, and liked the two new main characters. I hope Chris & Tessa make some more in the series.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:55   #5231
General Maximus
Ran Away

Spiderman: Far From Home: 8/10

Well, I must say I was very curious about the sort of tone the first post-Endgame film was going to strike and from the trailers I got the impression that they were going to try and start with a clean slate with a generic bad guys and move on. All I am going to say is appearances can be deceiving There are two sides to this film and both are executed with near perfection. On the one side given the special relationship Peter had with Tony Stark they are very mindful of recent events and the film acknowledges that in many natural and beautiful ways without throwing it in your face. It feels very much a continuation of the MCU like Civil War rather than a standalone film. On the other side they are very keen to maintain the tone of the first film and make this very grounded and a teen coming of age story and despite the impression you get from the trailers, this is all about Peter growing up and the relationships he has with the people around him. I don't want to say anymore with fear for spoiling it for everyone but not only did I like it, I loved the plot twists and as I have said many a time before, I love Marvel because of how much they focus on the characters and this exemplifies it.

There are two post-credit scenes, one a few mins after the initial credits and one right at the end. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is that you watch both, especially the one at the end. The first one is Spidey-centric and influences the next Spider film, the second one is key to the larger MCU going forward.

Go and see it at the cinema, I promise you'll enjoy it.
Old 02-07-2019, 20:33   #5232
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Shaft (the latest one on Netflix) - 7/10.

Good fun, especially the culture clash between "old school" Shaft and his hipster son.
I watched it on the plane to Turkey and really enjoyed it too. Great way to include the previous actors who played Shaft. He's a bad mother...
Old 05-07-2019, 19:03   #5233
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I watched it on the plane to Turkey and really enjoyed it too. Great way to include the previous actors who played Shaft. He's a bad mother...
Shut yo mouth!
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 19:23   #5234
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Spiderman: Far From Home: 8/10

Good fun, with some "dark" bits, but enjoyable and funny.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 21:13   #5235
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 8/10

Very different in some respects to what I was expected and very much what I was expecting in some other respects. The film is a lot slower than some of Tarantino's other films and you sort of have to just go with it to enjoy it. If you do then it's a fun film.

Great cast who do well in though.

Spoiler: 

Spoiler warning, film is spoiled in next spoiler tag for reals!

Spoiler: 

I knew he would subvert the true story and have Tate come out alive but I didn't see it happening like that (I thought she would kill them). Brining back the flamethrower? Brilliant.