Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Has VM pulled their speedtest.net servers?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New Virgin Install at Property with Existing Cabling

Old 22-04-2021, 16:13   #1
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road
New Virgin Install at Property with Existing Cabling

My mate just had virgin installed into his property today and i was there to oversee the install.

The property has had cable services before so it was just a matter replacing all the cable and wireless coax points with virgin ones and connecting up the 360 boxes in the rooms and running a new coax cable into the cellar where all the CAT6A cables were put. The virgin guy did a fantastic job all over. 10/10 service from him.

Even though the property had a Virgin Telephone Line we were told by the engineer and the customer services person that the voice services go through the virgin hub now. Even though there was a physical virgin telephone line there. The engineer said this is the norm now and the only people that have a physical line are existing customers and at that if ever anything goes wrong with it they would switch them over the VOIP line in the Hub.

So my question is this. Is there anyway of using cat5e which we have spare from the CCTV install. To connect to the RJ11 port in the hub then tap into the Virgin Telephone line point so that all the telephone points in the house come to life?

Thanks in advance
Old 22-04-2021, 16:22   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: New Virgin Install at Property with Existing Cabling

You cannot direct connect, the signals are totally different. You need to get a VOIP to standard phone cable convertor sometimes known as an ATA

Take a look here for some reviews of available equipment.
Old 22-04-2021, 16:36   #3
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You cannot direct connect, the signals are totally different. You need to get a VOIP to standard phone cable convertor sometimes known as an ATA

Take a look here for some reviews of available equipment.
my understanding is that is already built into the hub as you just plug a normal telephone into the hub and get a dial tone
Old 22-04-2021, 17:06   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
my understanding is that is already built into the hub as you just plug a normal telephone into the hub and get a dial tone
If that's the case ( Excuse my ignorance but you mentioned a CAT5e cable which is for Ethernet ) then you need to connect the extension phone socket circuits to the socket (RJ45 IIRC) on the hub. You can get a kit consisting of a plug in connector, cable, IDC tool and 1st socket for reasonable money. There are three wires that have to be connected: two for the audio circuit and one for the ringer. The extension connecting kit ( sitting in front of me ) shows the details of what to connect to where.

[edit]
I'm guessing that the extensions are currently directly wired into an existing (dead) master socket, you'll need to remove this connection to make the new connection to the first extension socket.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Disregard what I just posted. I've looked on the back of the Hub3 and there are two Ethernet ports marked TEL1 and TEL2.

A VOIP compatible phone (digital) just plugs into these. Too connect an analogue phone and system then you would need the ATA adaptor.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 22-04-2021 at 17:00. Reason: Master socket
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 17:07   #5
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
If that's the case ( Excuse my ignorance but you mentioned a CAT5e cable which is for Ethernet ) then you need to connect the extension phone socket circuits to the socket (RJ45 IIRC) on the hub. You can get a kit consisting of a plug in connector, cable, IDC tool and 1st socket for reasonable money. There are three wires that have to be connected: two for the audio circuit and one for the ringer. The extension connecting kit ( sitting in front of me ) shows the details of what to connect to where.

[edit]
I'm guessing that the extensions are currently directly wired into an existing (dead) master socket, you'll need to remove this connection to make the new connection to the first extension socket.

Sorry, yes you're right. My intention was to use cat5e cable which hasn't been terminated to a RJ45 connector and instead crimp on a RJ11 connector on one side which will fit into the RJ11 telephone port on the Virgin Hub. Then the other side wire that into the dead Virgin Telephone master socket.

I should have been clearer.
Old 22-04-2021, 17:16   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
Sorry, yes you're right. My intention was to use cat5e cable which hasn't been terminated to a RJ45 connector and instead crimp on a RJ11 connector on one side which will fit into the RJ11 telephone port on the Virgin Hub. Then the other side wire that into the dead Virgin Telephone master socket.

I should have been clearer.
No sweat. My original response now stands as the Ethernet including the VOIP is digital and the standard telephone system is analogue as is the cabling. I guess the phone you plugged in was a VOIP phone?

You'll need the ATA to bridge the gap if you want to connect standard analogue phones and extensions.
Old 22-04-2021, 17:58   #7
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
No sweat. My original response now stands as the Ethernet including the VOIP is digital and the standard telephone system is analogue as is the cabling. I guess the phone you plugged in was a VOIP phone?

You'll need the ATA to bridge the gap if you want to connect standard analogue phones and extensions.
we didn't have a phone. But the virgin installer used a bog standard analog phone connected to the hub and did a line test. Which included a dial out and ring back test
Old 22-04-2021, 18:08   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

I think I can see where the confusion is: VM have used an RJ11 Ethernet connector on the back of the hub but with analogue signals.

Something like this

Looks like it would do the job.
Old 22-04-2021, 18:31   #9
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Quote:
I think I can see where the confusion is: VM have used an RJ11 Ethernet connector on the back of the hub but with analogue signals.

Something like this

Looks like it would do the job.

yeh he left that connected to the hub for the phone.

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Ethernet is RJ45...Virgin have used RJ11 which are telephone ports.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

most of the world uses RJ11 standard for telecoms
Old 22-04-2021, 18:39   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Yep, explains it. Pick up a standard telephone extension kit to make the connection from the adapter to the rest of the phone sockets. This will give the connection details. The kit adapter still allows you to connect a standard phone at the adapter (hub) end

Seems daft that the hub didn't use standard telephone sockets.
Old 22-04-2021, 19:17   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Only uses 2 wires as well. Third ringer wire hasn't been needed for years.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote