Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hub 4

Old 24-03-2021, 22:42   #1
rhooton
cf.member

Services: Virgin TV Full House Tivo V6 BB M200
rhooton is on a distinguished roadrhooton is on a distinguished road
Hub 4

Hi I received an email from Virgin today stating they would love to update by Hub (from Hub 3 to Hub 4) for free. The reason claimed is to improve my WIFI. However, I run my HUB 3 in modem mode so whether the HUB is good at WIFI is of no interest. Also, I'm only on 200Mb broadband (and in the centre of Brighton the max I can get is 350Mb) and from previous threads HUB 4 is only of benefit speed-wise for speeds greater than 600Mb but are there any other reasons why I should accept Virgin's kind offer?

According to the email all I have to do is claim my HUB 4! The email is plastered with buttons to press to start the claim process (ok, two buttons) for self installation.

I'm wondering what's in it for Virgin seeing as it will cost them money and I haven't complained about poor WIFI so why the offer?

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth however, so advice welcome.
Old 24-03-2021, 22:48   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hub 4

If they email me offering a Hub 4 replacement for free on my 200mbit connection I would snap their hand off!

I'm sure there are no disadvantages only improvement, not sure what they are though.
Old 24-03-2021, 22:49   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhooton View Post
Hi I received an email from Virgin today stating they would love to update by Hub (from Hub 3 to Hub 4) for free. The reason claimed is to improve my WIFI. However, I run my HUB 3 in modem mode so whether the HUB is good at WIFI is of no interest. Also, I'm only on 200Mb broadband (and in the centre of Brighton the max I can get is 350Mb) and from previous threads HUB 4 is only of benefit speed-wise for speeds greater than 600Mb but are there any other reasons why I should accept Virgin's kind offer?

According to the email all I have to do is claim my HUB 4! The email is plastered with buttons to press to start the claim process (ok, two buttons) for self installation.

I'm wondering what's in it for Virgin seeing as it will cost them money and I haven't complained about poor WIFI so why the offer?

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth however, so advice welcome.
The hub4 also has modem only mode. It can however handle more channels than the hub3. If it's a free upgrade I'd take it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2021, 22:52   #4
rhooton
cf.member

Thanks for the quick responses! I'll press that button!
Old 25-03-2021, 10:36   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
If they email me offering a Hub 4 replacement for free on my 200mbit connection I would snap their hand off!

I'm sure there are no disadvantages only improvement, not sure what they are though.
Why? I'm happy with my hub 2ac. I pay for 200mb, and it gives me 220mb constantly. Don't know what more I expect it to do really. It it ain't broke....
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 12:37   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why? I'm happy with my hub 2ac. I pay for 200mb, and it gives me 220mb constantly. Don't know what more I expect it to do really. It it ain't broke....
something to keep an eye on though. As speeds increase across the board you may find the channels you use becoming more saturated and your speed suffering as a result. Shub2 uses 8 ds channels and shub3 uses 24 channels which is a big difference. I am all for "if it ain't broken don't fix it" but migrating to the shub3 is a very good way to mitigate future problems.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 13:47   #7
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

In the past the hub 4's were only sent out to customers on the 1gb connection, or to those in areas of high utilisation.

Info below published 21st October 2020 https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ter-again.html

At the time the wider, albeit still very limited, distribution seemed designed to benefit areas suffering from weak WiFi or high utilisations (i.e. where local lines are being heavily used). The HUB 4.0 can bond 32 channels together, while the HUB 3.0 can only do 24 (i.e. the new router can be harnessed by those on slower packages to deliver an improvement, provided the operator supports the bonding change in those locations).
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:43   #8
rhooton
cf.member

Maybe high utilisation is one reason for the offer. During the day (since people started working from home, me included) my upload speed has been awful (sometimes much less than 1Mbs) making conference calls problematic
Old 26-03-2021, 09:36   #9
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

The Hub 4 allows bonding of more channels allowing for faster speeds in future, it has a better chipset and better Wifi capabilities than the other current units as well. It benefits VM from a maintenance point of view to migrate more customers to newer equipment and allows much faster provisioning of new services in future if modern CPE is already in place.

Nothing sinister here, its a hardware upgrade to make everyones life better.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 11:50   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
The Hub 4 allows bonding of more channels allowing for faster speeds in future, it has a better chipset and better Wifi capabilities than the other current units as well. It benefits VM from a maintenance point of view to migrate more customers to newer equipment and allows much faster provisioning of new services in future if modern CPE is already in place.

Nothing sinister here, its a hardware upgrade to make everyones life better.
I'm glad it makes people's lives better/more worthwhile, it sounds brilliant.
Can it protect you from Covid though?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 11:51   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, by allowing you to work from home if you're allowed to
Old 26-03-2021, 12:25   #12
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, by allowing you to work from home if you're allowed to
Love it
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote