Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Times asks: Does Virgin Media have the worst service in Britain?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Times asks: Does Virgin Media have the worst service in Britain?

Old 18-03-2021, 06:48   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Times asks: Does Virgin Media have the worst service in Britain?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d...tain-d287mflfg

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/j...ored-dz9ggzlrp

You can only see the first part, if anyone subscribes could you please let us know what else it says?

Sometimes newspaper articles are republished by other sites later on, i'll check again in a few days and if it is i'll update the thread.

Hopefully this publicity from The Times will prompt some action to improve matters.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 18-03-2021 at 06:53.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2021, 06:54   #2
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Times asks: Does Virgin Media have the worst service in Britain?

Here you go
http://archive.today/1Gdwi

http://archive.today/eFQPe
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 10:29   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Again I have a great service from Virgin Media.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:03   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

VM is always great until it's not. Triggering a network fault report and an engineer to fix it seems to be very slow.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 11:10   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

No problems with Virgin Media as they have always been very good when there is a fault.

As for Virgin Media having the worst service in Britain l would say that is completely over-exaggerated balderdash.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:49   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

It simply amazes me that Richard digs out any story about poor service from Virgin Media and posts it here while remaining a customer of said company.
Like others, I’m a very happy customer whose never had any significant problem in over twenty years.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:02   #7
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Not read the article

I think the majority of complaints will be about the customer service side and billing, we see quite a few posts on here about the 'offshore' service centers

For the vast majority of users there will never be an issue, but there are always some who experience a horrible time with installation/faults etc . . . no different to any other global company I guess.

I've never had any major issues, but if BT had fiber in my area I'd probably be long gone . . . in fact still thinking of going anyway, not because the service is bad, simply because of the pricing strategy and the thought of getting some muppet in Mumbai if I ring for a better deal
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:14   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Not read the article

I think the majority of complaints will be about the customer service side and billing, we see quite a few posts on here about the 'offshore' service centers

For the vast majority of users there will never be an issue, but there are always some who experience a horrible time with installation/faults etc . . . no different to any other global company I guess.

I've never had any major issues, but if BT had fiber in my area I'd probably be long gone . . . in fact still thinking of going anyway, not because the service is bad, simply because of the pricing strategy and the thought of getting some muppet in Mumbai if I ring for a better deal
Agree with most of that other than the BT reference, I think they're far worse than VM.
As you say outages are few and far between and when there is a local or national issue they seem to get fixed fairly quickly. The problems arise when you have a fault specific to your address, reporting faults to offshore is usually a long winded process.
Incorrect billing and price rise bingo is also an ever present frustration but at least it can usually be sorted using the official forum.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 12:35   #9
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Does Richard have the most repetitive topics for threads he starts?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 13:09   #10
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Thing is that people with problems are often more vocal than those who don't, especially with service provision. People don't generally come to forums like this because everything is going swimmingly but because they have a problem and want to see if it's them or more general.
And unlike reviewing "things" it's also rare to have as good comparison and what is measured is "intangible". If you compare a "thing" you can look at specification and does it match, it is often measurable (size, power, colour etc). But service is less definable and with more variables; is the slow internet due to the service, others using the service at the same time, or the fact that you are using a 15 year on laptop with 512kB RAM and a really odd wifi dongle that wobbles a bit and is only rated at 5Mb anyway and so on...
Old 18-03-2021, 13:11   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Is it really any worse than anyone else? I pretty much have a great service and most faults I have had over the years have been fixed relatively quickly

I hate the way they deal with contracts and often I report a fault that they say is my end and send an engineer and then it magically fixes itself ie a network fault and then I am left thinking should I cancel or let him come anyway.

I also do not like the way you have to be the idiot and let them run through their FAQ even though you know full well the fault is outside your house cuz you have run all the tests already

But I am sure they are all the same CS is the weak point with everything pretty much across the board of anything
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 13:12   #12
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

it's funny though if you had asked me a couple of months ago when I tried to contact CS, several days of being on hold for over an hour i got fed up, I would have been in the "they're rubbish" camp.

however a week or so ago, phoned up, almost immediately spoke to someone who was extremely helpful about my bill, and helped me reduce it, explained the bundles and charges etc. was nice and reassuring to someone who wasn't just sticking to a script.

the big win with virgin, is when it does go wrong, which isn't very often, they fix it. but from what i gather with ppl with BT, and say sky, when the internet goes wrong, they blame each other.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 13:51   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

When a fault is apparent, I like the way you can have updates texts, calls or emails sent to you, together with the same when the faults are cleared. Plus you can register for compensation for loss of service within the rules.

But for that you have to know where on the website to do all that. And it's not that obvious where that is.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 14:31   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

You can go on to ant ISP forum and see problems like this. Compared to the customer base they are few and far between. As in life, shit happens.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 15:10   #15
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The original version of this website, nthellworld.com, included a section of customer testimonials under the headings “NTL Hell” and “NTL Heaven”. There were plenty of stories in each section, however the reason Frank Whitestone founded the site was his frustration with the poor customer service he had been getting, and the reason it thrived was because a lot of people were of similar sentiments and joined, and sustained, an active discussion community based on them.

The basic stories found on that forum in the early days - extremely long wait times on the phone for CS, promises of action unfulfilled, CS calls randomly cut off, promises of improvements “coming soon” - have never really gone away. I suspect that in the circles consumer journalists move in they have become folk memory, and a story that is very easy to periodically dust off and repurpose. Whether or not the OP’s proposition is objectively the case or not, is very difficult to prove, but the reputation for poor CS is something that the company has never been able to fully shake off.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote