Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Your age on other worlds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Recover old format images

Old 15-03-2021, 15:39   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Recover old format images

Before I invested in a digital camera I used a 35mm film camera for many years.

As well as getting my film processed and printed around 2004/5 I started to get a DVD which included image viewer software as well. The software used was called Klick Photopoint or Photoviewer.

This always worked very well but I haven't viewed these discs for a long time until today. I now find that they will not run under Win 10 ( I was using Win XP at the time).

If I insert them in my PC dvd slot and try to open the files or get the viewer to run I just get a message to insert a disc.

I cannot open them in File Explorer either.

Are the any easy methods I can use to access these files?
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2021, 16:06   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Recover old format images

I'm sure there will be some software to do this, a good place to start is what is the file format extension you saved them in?

https://www.guru99.com/best-photo-im...r-windows.html
Old 15-03-2021, 17:06   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

It really depends if the photos have been kept on the CD or not in their original format.

Back then a lot of these companies embedded them into their software, or created "show reels" in DVD video format.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:07   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I think OP is trying to open the DVD, not just use software to see the content.

I had problems when I was obliged to move to Win10. It would not open many CDs and DVDs, and File Manager would not see the disks either.

Click on Start -> Run
Type regedit to open Registry Editor
Navigate to following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Se rvices\atapi
Right-click on atapi and Select New->Key
Type Controller0 and press Enter
Right-click on Controller0 choose New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value
Type EnumDevice1
Right-click on EnumDevice1 and click on Modify
In the Value Data box, type 1
Click on OK
Exit Registry Editor
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:19   #5
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'm sure there will be some software to do this, a good place to start is what is the file format extension you saved them in?

https://www.guru99.com/best-photo-im...r-windows.html
I didn't personally save them, the dvd's were issued as part of the service from the shop who did the film processing.

I have no idea now what file format was used as it is years since I last viewed them.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
It really depends if the photos have been kept on the CD or not in their original format.

Back then a lot of these companies embedded them into their software, or created "show reels" in DVD video format.
It was a little bit like that, the Klick Photoviewer was on each dvd and autoran when the disc was inserted.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I think OP is trying to open the DVD, not just use software to see the content.

I had problems when I was obliged to move to Win10. It would not open many CDs and DVDs, and File Manager would not see the disks either.

Click on Start -> Run
Type regedit to open Registry Editor
Navigate to following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Se rvices\atapi
Right-click on atapi and Select New->Key
Type Controller0 and press Enter
Right-click on Controller0 choose New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value
Type EnumDevice1
Right-click on EnumDevice1 and click on Modify
In the Value Data box, type 1
Click on OK
Exit Registry Editor
Will doing this have any effect on more up to date discs?
Old 15-03-2021, 17:31   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post

Will doing this have any effect on more up to date discs?
It shouldn't but back up the registry first just in case.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-d428a2ab0692
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 17:37   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Virtual machine running the OS the software was written for maybe?

You say when you insert the disc it says insert disc do you see the contents ie the executable ? or does it show as a disc and when you click it it says insert disc?
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 18:18   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

If you can open the disk in file explorer, can you find the individual photos?
If you right-click on the app and select "properties" and then the "compatibility" tab, you will see options to test and run with lower(than win 10) settings, eg Vista.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 18:37   #9
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

If I insert the disc then Right click/Open using file explorer it then says insert disc. The disc doesn't show up as being in the drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVD wont run.jpg (29.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 15-03-2021, 18:49   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Probably in a non Windows format. Most likely ext2 (Linux) Try a Linux distro off a memory stick, these will usually open any disc.
Old 15-03-2021, 18:56   #11
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
If I insert the disc then Right click/Open using file explorer it then says insert disc. The disc doesn't show up as being in the drive.
Windows is not seeing the disc at all.

Whatever the format of the disc, it should see something, even if it doesn't "understand" it. Does it make a noise when loading and trying to read the disc? The mechanical parts of the DVD drive have to move around to seek the tracks on the CD.
According to this. the file system of the disc should be readable.
Quote:
I'm currently scanning my "backlog" of prints from the original negatives and obviously it would be quicker to copy over the images from the CD, however the "program" doesn't seem compatible / readable in Windows 7. The Photos sub-folder on each CD doesn't show anything.
The fact that they could see a sub-folder, means the disc was readable.

Last edited by nomadking; 15-03-2021 at 19:00.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 19:06   #12
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Windows is not seeing the disc at all.

Whatever the format of the disc, it should see something, even if it doesn't "understand" it. Does it make a noise when loading and trying to read the disc? The mechanical parts of the DVD drive have to move around to seek the tracks on the CD.
According to this. the file system of the disc should be readable.
The fact that they could see a sub-folder, means the disc was readable.
I had already had a look at that lightroomclean post., the OP there was trying to open them in Win 7 though. When the dvd drive drawer is closed the indicator light flashes a few times and you can hear the drive clicking and whirring for a few seconds.

I will more than likely go down the regedit route if all else fails.

Last edited by iadom; 15-03-2021 at 19:10.
Old 15-03-2021, 19:22   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

writable dvds do have a life span and do degrade. A different rom may read it. Had similar issues in the past

I think the rom can simply not read the disc. Assume its clean and no scratches
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 19:35   #14
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

I have three original discs and one a copy I burned years ago, they all react in the exactly same way.

If I put a blank disc in the drive can see it but these four are invisible for some reason???

The discs are spotless and have rarely been played tbh.
Old 15-03-2021, 19:57   #15
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Have you tried doing a copy disc from one of the unreadable discs to a new blank disc.
[I have had instances of discs being unreadable, once copied the info onto a new blank had a readable disc.]
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote