Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 04-08-2012, 22:16   #16
ZiQi
Inactive

ZiQi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I've not been able to afford the sports channels for many years, priced themselves well out of many sports fans pockets. Only going to get worse with BT Sports.
ZiQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06   #17
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiQi View Post
I've not been able to afford the sports channels for many years, priced themselves well out of many sports fans pockets. Only going to get worse with BT Sports.
Must admit the pay TV market for sports is getting way too crowded.

Most sport I've enjoyed over the past 2 months has been free. Euro 2012, Wimbledon and now the Olympics. If only more sport could be on the BBC and ITV.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33   #18
ZiQi
Inactive

ZiQi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Most sport I've enjoyed over the past 2 months has been free. Euro 2012, Wimbledon and now the Olympics. If only more sport could be on the BBC and ITV.
I enjoy F1, but ITV and then BBC didn't seem to care about it.

I like boxing, used to enjoy the big fights on ITV many years back.
ZiQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:21   #19
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiQi View Post
I like boxing, used to enjoy the big fights on ITV many years back.
I grew up on ITV boxing. Too many great fights to mention. Used to watch the fights with my Dad and Grandad. Funnily enough it would be my Mum, who had no prior interest in the fight we were watching, who would be making the most noise and cheering the action. Sadly boxing as a family event is dying out. There just isn't enough proper big fights on free TV. Just hope the Olympics injects some much needed interest. Who knows, good viewing figures might convince the BBC to give pro boxing another try.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06   #20
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I grew up on ITV boxing. Too many great fights to mention. Used to watch the fights with my Dad and Grandad. Funnily enough it would be my Mum, who had no prior interest in the fight we were watching, who would be making the most noise and cheering the action. Sadly boxing as a family event is dying out. There just isn't enough proper big fights on free TV. Just hope the Olympics injects some much needed interest. Who knows, good viewing figures might convince the BBC to give pro boxing another try.
Sadly Chad nowadays The BBC are only interested in two or three major events and even in those we have to put up with extrememy arrogant presenters or even worse then that wooden ones and the only one l can exclude from that is Clare Balding.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17   #21
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I agree on both points. It has been a golden period for sport on BBC.

I hope there will be some rationalisation of sports channels. If BT are going to play big in the sports market I think people will start making choices. How many channels can you subscribe to?

Virgin need to play their hand wisely, the XL pack has the added attraction of ESPN without subscription. If Virgin are going to continue to add a "sports perk" to the XL pack next year they need to have a careful look at their options.

I am sure BT will use a good sports package as part of their marketing strategy while Sky will still have the most sport in HD.
Emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:16   #22
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sadly Chad nowadays The BBC are only interested in two or three major events and even in those we have to put up with extrememy arrogant presenters or even worse then that wooden ones and the only one l can exclude from that is Clare Balding.
Hear hear-she has been excellent during the BBC's Olympics coverage. Not into horses so hadn't seen much of her until now (although met her at the Open last year) but I think she's really good.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:07   #23
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emel View Post
Virgin need to play their hand wisely, the XL pack has the added attraction of ESPN without subscription. If Virgin are going to continue to add a "sports perk" to the XL pack next year they need to have a careful look at their options.

I am sure BT will use a good sports package as part of their marketing strategy while Sky will still have the most sport in HD.
Next year will be very interesting in terms of BT and ESPN. Personally I would like to keep ESPN in XL and make BT a stand alone subscription channel. I don't really watch the English Premiership so ESPN with 30 SPL games and another 10 games featuring Rangers is the channel for me. Not to mention ESPN shows weekly boxing by way of Friday Night Fights.

I know we have a lot of American sports fans in this forum who would be gutted if ESPN / ESPN America got dropped from the XL package.
Old 05-08-2012, 16:42   #24
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I think the lure of the Premier League will probably mean Virgin are keener to keep the football free on xl than they are the ESPN channel suite. That said, with less to offer a mass market, ESPN will have to reconsider their current subscription model anyway I reckon.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 17:43   #25
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I think the lure of the Premier League will probably mean Virgin are keener to keep the football free on xl than they are the ESPN channel suite. That said, with less to offer a mass market, ESPN will have to reconsider their current subscription model anyway I reckon.
I think it really comes down to what rights BT snap up. Even without the English Premiership, ESPN will still be a major player in terms of live football:

•Scottish Premier League - 30 live games a season from the SPL, featuring all 12 teams
•Scottish Third Division - 10 live Rangers matches.
•FA Cup - 25 live matches including 1 exclusively live FA Cup Semi Final and live coverage of the FA Cup Final live from Wembley.
•UEFA Europa League - At least 1 live UEFA Europa League game each match week
•Italian Serie A - 80 live Serie A matches and matches from the Coppa Italia and Italian Super Cup
•German Bundesliga -Up to 5 live matches a week from the Bundesliga and German Cup football.
•Dutch Eredivisie - 2 live games a week from the Dutch Eredivisie
•French Ligue 1
•Russian Premier League - A maximum of 2 live games each week
•Major League Soccer (MLS) and MLS Cup - Including live MLS Play-Offs and MLS Cup Matches
•Live Brazilian Championships - Live matches from the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A and Campeonato Paulista
•Women's Super League - Coverage of the inaugaral Women's Super League
•Live England U21 Home Internationals

If Premier Sports can charge £10.00 per month for their limited content, and Boxnation can charge £10.00 per month for about 6 live shows, ESPN must have a good chance of surviving. I think what TV rights they pick up and retain over the next 12 months will also have a massive impact on their future.
Old 05-08-2012, 19:26   #26
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think it really comes down to what rights BT snap up. Even without the English Premiership, ESPN will still be a major player in terms of live football:

•Scottish Premier League - 30 live games a season from the SPL, featuring all 12 teams
•Scottish Third Division - 10 live Rangers matches.
•FA Cup - 25 live matches including 1 exclusively live FA Cup Semi Final and live coverage of the FA Cup Final live from Wembley.
•UEFA Europa League - At least 1 live UEFA Europa League game each match week
•Italian Serie A - 80 live Serie A matches and matches from the Coppa Italia and Italian Super Cup
•German Bundesliga -Up to 5 live matches a week from the Bundesliga and German Cup football.
•Dutch Eredivisie - 2 live games a week from the Dutch Eredivisie
•French Ligue 1
•Russian Premier League - A maximum of 2 live games each week
•Major League Soccer (MLS) and MLS Cup - Including live MLS Play-Offs and MLS Cup Matches
•Live Brazilian Championships - Live matches from the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A and Campeonato Paulista
•Women's Super League - Coverage of the inaugaral Women's Super League
•Live England U21 Home Internationals

If Premier Sports can charge £10.00 per month for their limited content, and Boxnation can charge £10.00 per month for about 6 live shows, ESPN must have a good chance of surviving. I think what TV rights they pick up and retain over the next 12 months will also have a massive impact on their future.
ESPN do also have rights to over sports as well.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 20:17   #27
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
ESPN do also have rights to over sports as well.
It's an impressive list:

Ultimate Fighting Championship
Aviva Premiership Rugby
French Rugby Top 14
NFL Monday Night Football
American Basketball (NBA)
American Baseball (MLB)
German Touring Car Masters
Formula Super League
FIA GT1
NHRA Drag Racing
NCAA Basketball
NCAA Football
British Darts Organisation
PGA Championship Golf
Sri Lanka Premier League Cricket
ATP World Tour Tennis
WTA International Tennis
Australian Football League (AFL)
Friday Fight Night Boxing

Plus there is more that's not included in this list.

With the London Olympics being a roaring success so far in terms of viewing figures for the BBC, and medal wins for team GB, I wonder if this will have a positive impact for sports channels like ESPN. With people really buying into sport, and sporting achievement, a channel like ESPN with it's diverse coverage might see growth in its subscription figures over the next couple of months. I'm sure if ESPN can snap up coverage of athletic events in the coming months they would be onto a winner.
Old 05-08-2012, 22:00   #28
InformationMedia
Inactive

Services: Sky HDTV/Sky Sports/ESPN & Muitiroom. 20MB Virgin Broadband/Unlimited Calls
InformationMedia is on a distinguished roadInformationMedia is on a distinguished road

I would not be surprised if BT surrendered it's Premier League packages to ESPN within it's 1st year.

If ESPN & Sky continue to renew existing deals then BT will have nothing to show apart from 4 Premier League games per month.

Plus people would be more interested in Channels that offer more than just one Sport. Sky & ESPN offer that.
InformationMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 22:02   #29
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationMedia View Post
I would not be surprised if BT surrendered it's Premier League packages to ESPN within it's 1st year.
Sorry but thats not going to happen.
Old 05-08-2012, 22:07   #30
InformationMedia
Inactive

Services: Sky HDTV/Sky Sports/ESPN & Muitiroom. 20MB Virgin Broadband/Unlimited Calls
InformationMedia is on a distinguished roadInformationMedia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sorry but thats not going to happen.
There is no guarantee BT will get the subscriptions required.

Overspending on that will prove to be there downfall. I can't see their Channel lasting long.
InformationMedia is offline   Reply With Quote