Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue Cable Memories

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Analogue Cable Memories

Old 18-03-2021, 06:42   #76
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I remember hooking my VCR up to the cable network.. After this local channel went off the air (channel 4) I went ON THE AIR!!!!!!!

I showed movies and stuff,it was neat!! (That was before they used video filters so nothing could be seen when the channel went off air)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2021, 07:14   #77
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I remember hooking my VCR up to the cable network.. After this local channel went off the air (channel 4) I went ON THE AIR!!!!!!!

I showed movies and stuff,it was neat!! (That was before they used video filters so nothing could be seen when the channel went off air)
Wow so you broadcast from your VCR???
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 00:57   #78
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I'm intrigued, how was this achieved?
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2021, 03:29   #79
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Well as you know a VCR outputs on channel 3 or 4 So I just hook the cable line up to the OUT TO TV jack on the VCR

I dunno how far it went but it was neat.......
Old 20-03-2021, 09:40   #80
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
2. Here's one I made earlier: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33640854

3. Assuming such a channel fits into the usual 8MHz slots, around 80. But it does vary depending on how the network was built.

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

I don't think they were. Each headend had it's own satellite farm to receive the channels.
Just noticed the above link from 2018 is inaccessible for me. Not sure if it's been deleted. Has the thread been deleted here?
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 12:04   #81
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCable View Post
Just noticed the above link from 2018 is inaccessible for me. Not sure if it's been deleted. Has the thread been deleted here?
It does seem to have gone. Other places that had analogue-only cable late were Londonderry, Westminster, Brackla, Washington and parts of north London (Camden-ish)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 19:44   #82
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I was with Bell Cablemedia originally, think that went to Cable and Wireless, then NTL, now VM. (someone need to looks into VMs monopoly these days....)
That was the 'route', so to speak, and there was one before then - Jones Cable, which then 'became' Bell Cablemedia in 1995 before C&W appeared in 1997 when they bought Bell, Nynex and Videotron.

And if you want some nostalgia from the very first days of cable, the promo video for Jones Cable from around 1994 has been uploaded to YouTube.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 09:56   #83
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
That was the 'route', so to speak, and there was one before then - Jones Cable, which then 'became' Bell Cablemedia in 1995 before C&W appeared in 1997 when they bought Bell, Nynex and Videotron.

And if you want some nostalgia from the very first days of cable, the promo video for Jones Cable from around 1994 has been uploaded to YouTube.
I was employee number 50 at Jones Cable (Leeds), implemented the Bytel Billing system at Watford & Leeds (then moved Peterborough & Norwich over), then sorted out Encom in Docklands - long, long time ago…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 10:26   #84
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I was employee number 50 at Jones Cable (Leeds), implemented the Bytel Billing system at Watford & Leeds (then moved Peterborough & Norwich over), then sorted out Encom in Docklands - long, long time ago…
Were you there when the talkies came in Hugh?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 11:14   #85
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Were you there when the talkies came in Hugh?
Son, I was in uniform before you were in liquid form...
Old 25-09-2021, 19:23   #86
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And in what year did you become employee number 50?

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Quote:
I was with Bell Cablemedia originally, think that went to Cable and Wireless, then NTL, now VM. (someone need to looks into VMs monopoly these days....)

The box was a Jerrold and incredibly hot - it provided central heating for the room ! Treated myself to cable in time for the 1996 Cricket World Cup !
Those old Jerrold boxes were the mainstay of analogue cable.

And it is worth underling that the 1996 Cricket World Cup almost ended up being shown exclusively on cable after Wire TV bought the rights to the event. however Wire stopped broadcasting nine months before the tournament was due to start and Sky picked up the live rights with the BBC showing highlights.
Old 25-09-2021, 22:07   #87
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Jerrold and Regency were basically the same boxs werent they??

I thought they were owned by the same people at first....

I liked the boxs that were a TUNER,in other words if HBO was on 44 and Cinemax was on 45,you could turn your TV dial to 3 (Instead of 2) and see Cinemax unscrambled on 44!! (IF IT WAS SCRAMBLED THE SAME WAY HBO WAS)

I did this at my relatives house...... PAY PER VIEW was on channel 17 and the channel below it was IN THE CLEAR (Not scrambled) so I brought my Regency box down and put the channel on 3 and my grandpas box on 16 and I got PPV in UNSCRAMBLED....... (The boxs output was channel 2 so putting it on 3 moved everyone down one channel (Usually channel 4 was too weak to really see anything but it did work))

I love analogue!!!
Old 25-09-2021, 23:50   #88
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
And in what year did you become employee number 50?

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Those old Jerrold boxes were the mainstay of analogue cable.

And it is worth underling that the 1996 Cricket World Cup almost ended up being shown exclusively on cable after Wire TV bought the rights to the event. however Wire stopped broadcasting nine months before the tournament was due to start and Sky picked up the live rights with the BBC showing highlights.
January 1994 - based at Seacroft, Leeds, but they sent us down to Watford for about 6 months to implement Bytel there (got a lot of Hilton points that year…).
Old 26-09-2021, 20:33   #89
Rillington
cf.mega poster

So when did cable first become available in Leeds, and I guess it was people who were nearest to the Seacroft centre who were the first households to be able to get cable?
Old 26-09-2021, 22:31   #90
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

From about mid-94 I believe - my house was connected early/mid 95, and I live about 6 miles from where Jones Cables was sited.