Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Google password warning

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Google password warning

Old 15-04-2021, 12:01   #16
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Google password warning

ignore all that google failed me

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If you trust that site, and it doesn't have any breach of its own !
The site you are replying to at the worst would add your email to a list it does not ask for passwords

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
The header looks perfect (accounts.google.com), and instead of clicking on the link, I typed it in and arrived on the acccounts.google.com page.

But I can't go any further as I have no google password. So it's all a bit moot.
if you did want to see where it actually goes you could test it in a sand box of some type either sandboxie or Windows Sandbox if you are running 10 Pro.

I often play with stuff to see what it is actually trying to do often in a VM or Sandbox but I do have an old machine I do it on that does nothing else
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2021, 16:54   #17
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Indeed.....I wouldnt wanna put ANY valid info in any of those!!

Only thing you supply when using the Have I Been Pwned website is the email address to lookup, that's all you can do!
(Apart from the latest Facebook one where there were more phone numbers, and it's only that Facebook breach that has phone numbers recorded)

It then returns a list of any breaches that email address was found in.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 18:30   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I contacted google directly and asked if the email warning was genuine.

"Yes, we detected a leak of emails and passwords from a few servers not related to google. It is highly recommended that you visit each site in the report and change your password".

I was given a hint at to what the account password was, and from that I realised it was made by our son. Obvious from his choice or words. Luckily he had it written down from 4 years ago!!

So I checked the list of compromised passwords, and they are mostly on sites I haven't been on for at least a couple of years. None of them would have any financial or personal details on them, but I'll plod through the list of 13 and change passwords IF I can remember what the present ones are!

So mystery solved, but I still wonder how google got all the info?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 19:30   #19
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I contacted google directly and asked if the email warning was genuine.

"Yes, we detected a leak of emails and passwords from a few servers not related to google. It is highly recommended that you visit each site in the report and change your password".

I was given a hint at to what the account password was, and from that I realised it was made by our son. Obvious from his choice or words. Luckily he had it written down from 4 years ago!!

So I checked the list of compromised passwords, and they are mostly on sites I haven't been on for at least a couple of years. None of them would have any financial or personal details on them, but I'll plod through the list of 13 and change passwords IF I can remember what the present ones are!

So mystery solved, but I still wonder how google got all the info?
Because that is their main line of business - data.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 20:29   #20
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because that is their main line of business - data.
worth a bloody fortune too
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote